Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Felling vindictive

Eddie dragon

Had to sack the lad couple of weeks ago for unreliability.  Got a message yesterday asking for reference.  Got call an email and a  form awaiting filling in.  So this morning I get a text from him asking for some clarification on sacking. Explained he text every Monday with an excuse for not working. Replied that he'd taken legal advice an has a case for unfair dismissal. ( he hasn't only worked for ten months). I text back that only answer is therefore to communicate via said solicitor.   I then got a series of texts offering to fight it out.   I come round an make you regret making a #### out of me.  I refined from such stupidity an did not reply. Got further message to say his unreliability was down to my greed as I could have paid him more (£10 pH) no chance or given him more hours.  Well now I'm feeling agreved. So I'm going to fill in that reference honesty. Especially the questions why did employment end and would you employ again. Also going for lunch tomorrow with a very good friend. She is a manager of the biggest local agency. Small word in ear I think. Also out of interest rang 101. Details taken an any more threatening text, can be taken as harassment.  Years ago I would have happily punched his lights out. I now find it can be more fun doing thing properly an honestly. Any thoughts on this fellas 

You aren't allowed to give a bad reference but you can refuse to give a reference

You can also just supply dates he worked for you as a reference

As for his behaviour if he is trying the unfair dismissal threats the last tging you wanna do is iron him out as he will then have the perfect ammo against you 

Get him done for harassment then sit back and relax

Although it would be seriously tempting to chin him

That's what I mean. I won't be negative but it asks specifically. Why did employment end. Answer unreliability text reqular Monday mornings Carnt work. Would you employ again. Answer no he's unreliable. Every thing else is a tick box. So I will answer honestly. Good worker. Honest (took an handed over £) it's the unreliability that kills it. For me that is application in the bin. 

You don’t have to go into details on the reference you can just give them a date start / finish at the company. And would you employ him again answer tick - No in the box that’s what I have done in the past.

He sounds like a plonker anyway they will see that in any interview. 

He can bang on about unfair dismissal but a company can get rid of you under 2 years in the job ( used to be 1 year ) or if they have a set work trial sounds like he’s trying it on with one of the ambulance chasing firms they want money for nothing culture.

He has to prove you was in the wrong, did he write a grievance to you about work etc etc it’s all about facts what he has to prove.

I would also report him to the police for any threat(s) it backs you up, you have logs of the incident(s) and anything does happen violence or damage to property your covered insurance or worst case scenario getting the police involved as you know who it will be who has attacked you.

yes it would be nice to punch him out but why lower yourself to his level and get a possible criminal record for a waste of space?

You reference should read....

To whom it concerns. 

We can confirm that Mr **** Head worked for our company for 1st Jan 2017 to 15th Sept 2017.  

Sincerely E. Dragon

You have told no lie... confirmed he did work for you.. but your failure to elaborate further let's the potential employer know that he's no good. 

If I received the above reference he wouldn't even get interviewed. 

There are a couple of things you need to watch.If he was with you less than six months you can let him go saying he was unsuitabil if he was with you longer you have to give him a verbal warning then two written warnings then you can sack him.If he takes it to an employment tribunal and you have not followed correct procedure then he may have a case.Dont want to sound like doom and gloom merchant but employment laws are not on the employers side.If you are employing anybody put them on a six months contract and only renew if satisified with their performance.

Back