Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Saving Resin

P4dstar

Premium Member
I'm looking for ways to save resin. The other day in the space of about 600 litres my PPM reading went from 004 to 065 and I didn't realise until the next day  :1f632:

I have just bought a second canister and I will be keeping a closer eye on my PPM. Once I reach 006 I plan to run the resin through the the old resin and then through the new stuff.

I purify it on site. On first time cleans I go round twice. I just ordered some bits to bypass the canisters altogether and just use tap water. My thoughts were that I could do the first time round with tap water and the new sill brush I just ordered and then go again with pure water. Can anyone with more experience than me see any potential issues with this?

I Also thought this would be good for a conservatory roof where it needs a good scrub? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated guys!!

What's the input TDS?

Do you test the water before you run it through the DI? Some areas can literally be hard water one street and soft the next. 

Alright chaps, I think I made that more confusing than it needed to be. I have a 500 litre tank in the van with a water pump and I fill that up at home. The TDS is 135-140 from the garden tap.

A strange and related point... The TDS from my kitchen tap is 240-250... God knows what c**p is stuck in my old taps because it comes from the same source haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest your trying to save on resin the double di will help alot.

But doing a whole house once then having to run the cable back around the house to do it again is more of a waste of time.

I think refining your method on 1st cleans would benefit more then saving a few liters of pure and running around the house 2 times and flushing you 100m house out every 1st clean.

For big jobs like gutter cleaning I can see the idea of using tape water worth while since those jobs normally take over an hour.

On 1st cleans you really don't need do them all then all then start again.

(I know when starting out i liked to do what you did)

However method I use now

Spray one window with ubik scrub rince go on to next window the time you spray ubik scurb etc the1st window would be rdy for a glass only clean and done.

I always say to customers "check the windows when they are dry if their is any spotting I will come back and clean them again for my piece of mind.

Just try doing it that way you will get more done in the day and save water so saving resin won't be such a big issue since their is more profit in your 8 hours.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

To be honest your trying to save on resin the double di will help alot.

But doing a whole house once then having to run the cable back around the house to do it again is more of a waste of time.

I think refining your method on 1st cleans would benefit more then saving a few liters of pure and running around the house 2 times and flushing you 100m house out every 1st clean.

For big jobs like gutter cleaning I can see the idea of using tape water worth while since those jobs normally take over an hour.

On 1st cleans you really don't need do them all then all then start again.

(I know when starting out i liked to do what you did)

However method I use now

Spray one window with ubik scrub rince go on to next window the time you spray ubik scurb etc the1st window would be rdy for a glass only clean and done.

I always say to customers "check the windows when they are dry if their is any spotting I will come back and clean them again for my piece of mind.

Just try doing it that way you will get more done in the day and save water so saving resin won't be such a big issue since their is more profit in your 8 hours.

Yeah to be fair I have so few customers time hasn't become an issue yet. I'm still working my full time job and trying to get started 2 days a week on my days off. I looked Ubik up, is that Ubik 2000? The same stuff they recommend for a conservatory roof?

Basically what sparked this all was a conservatory roof I started the other day, I quoted £50 and the things like 2 conservatories put together. I started scrubbing with just pure water and the stains wouldn't move. I managed to blag it that I just needed a softer brush and rebooked them for this week. When I went and did some research I realised that most people use Ubik 2000 and someone else recommended heavy duty degreaser from Screwfix. I bought some of this and had a practice on a friends conservatory, it worked a treat. I also have the flocked brush coming before the clean and some bits to by-pass the resin and clean the roof without resin before rinsing with resin. I was originally just wondering if cleaning with tap water first could lead to issues like spotting etc.

I'm sure some of you are thinking 'what a muppet' for trying to clean a conservatory with just water but I never really thought to look into it. most of the window cleaners round here refuse windows that aren't UPVC because the chemicals would damage the frames. I saw this as a gap in the market so didn't bother to research chemicals etc. 

You need to look at getting an R/O in the future, polishing a tap tds  of 140ish with resin only will be very expensive when you're busier. On plastic conny roofs, non clear, you can use just tap water, spotting is only an issue on clear roofs, usually glass. Wet the conny roof, apply degreaser, Ubik, TFR etc over 3 or 4 panels. Leave for 5 mins and then scrub and rinse off. You could attach hose reel to customers outside tap if they have one. If you do make sure before cleaning windows you've flushed tap water out of your reel.

You need to look at getting an R/O in the future, polishing a tap tds  of 140ish with resin only will be very expensive when you're busier. On plastic conny roofs, non clear, you can use just tap water, spotting is only an issue on clear roofs, usually glass. Wet the conny roof, apply degreaser, Ubik, TFR etc over 3 or 4 panels. Leave for 5 mins and then scrub and rinse off. You could attach hose reel to customers outside tap if they have one. If you do make sure before cleaning windows you've flushed tap water out of your reel.
That's not a bad shout at all. I don't think I'll ask this time after messing him around last week and he only lives about 1/2 a mile away but for future ones that could work nicely.

what would happen if I did a glass roof with tap an then gave it a rinse and clean with pure? is that likely to cause spotting?

With regards to RO, that's the long term plan but i've already spent 7 grand. I reckon if I bought an RO system before seeing a return the wife might blow a gasket haha. Having said that if this resin shortage continues I might have no other choice. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I did the same thing with a full time job but it will be an issue before you know it. Ubik 2000 is fine if the glass is self cleaning some say it's fine other say stay away.

If it's self cleaning I been using some water I heat up using a kettle in the truck and add abit of fairy seems to work been stealing a tip off trad man using a 14 inc channel in a sleeve on an accelerator handle on a pole just to partice in getting it in to angles

I used upvc max till it just ran out is good as well and the guy at aims chemeials gives solid advice and always ready to help.

Well I did the same thing with a full time job but it will be an issue before you know it. Ubik 2000 is fine if the glass is self cleaning some say it's fine other say stay away.

If it's self cleaning I been using some water I heat up using a kettle in the truck and add abit of fairy seems to work been stealing a tip off trad man using a 14 inc channel in a sleeve on an accelerator handle on a pole just to partice in getting it in to angles

I used upvc max till it just ran out is good as well and the guy at aims chemeials gives solid advice and always ready to help.

It must be through gritted teeth that people with self cleaning glass call a window cleaner haha. I haven't encountered any of that yet, whats the issue? Does it take the coating off the glass or something? I will look up Aims, thanks for the advice dude

resin is circa £80 for 25 litres,at your rate of use a couple of hundred on a decent ro unit is a no brainer in what you would save against your resin use

Agreed!! This will be my final investment when I am ready to go full time.

I'm offering driveway cleaning and wheelie bin cleaning which don't need pure water also so I was going to use an RO system and fill the van for days where I am only doing windows and use just tap water on days where I have driveways or bins to clean. I can never drain the entire tank of the dregs so I was going to keep the resin canisters to just ensure I get 0PPM on windows. I imagine the resin would last for a lot longer if the water going through is mostly pure anyway.

@p4dstar I also do window cleaning and bin cleaning.

2 x 11L di system with a tap tds 120 average use around 300-400litres a day at present and resin change is around 8 weeks at a time.

As for bin cleaning from same tank I do this using a split tap from my tank which gives me option to switch between water passing through my double di,s or bypass them straight to my jet wash wasting no resin to clean bins :) just a turn of the tap for either direction

How are you doing bin cleaning? And how much if you don't mind me asking?

I got a 3000 PSI petrol pressure washer, literally just rinsing them at the kerbside and letting the waste water flow away. Chuck a bit of disinfectant in and let it wash around to get rid of the smells.

Round here we have 4 bins and I'm doing the lot for £20. Thats 2 large wheelie bins, a food waste bin and cardboard waste bucket. The only problem is they are collected on different weeks so if they book the lot I have to come back twice at a tenner a time.

Someone on here advised me to check with the local council as you can't just throw waste water down the drain but the 'public space' department don't care, they checked with EHO who also don't care but told me to check with Severn Trent water and they said because it was a domestic service the customer already pays for waste water and they don't care haha.

@p4dstar I also do window cleaning and bin cleaning.

2 x 11L di system with a tap tds 120 average use around 300-400litres a day at present and resin change is around 8 weeks at a time.

As for bin cleaning from same tank I do this using a split tap from my tank which gives me option to switch between water passing through my double di,s or bypass them straight to my jet wash wasting no resin to clean bins :) just a turn of the tap for either direction

Oh b4lls. That sounds much easier than what i've gone for. My pump goes into a clear hose with a male to male hose lock connection on the end. I have just ordered 2 of these;

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/quick-release-shut-off-coupling-with-a-hose-barb.html

I'm gonna bypass the resin and plug it straight into the reel. I like the idea @Part Timer had though of plugging directly into the customers  garden hose where possible for things like this and conservatory roofs.

You wouldn't want to connect to a customers tap every few houses to clean bins as its constant stop start job

Yeah thats true. At the moment i literally have 2-4 customers 2 days a week and i'm doing my full time job. I plan to jump ship in the new year and go full time with windows, guess I should start planning for these kinds of things by then.

If your currently di only for windows a simple split tap will be best option and just divert your normal water to jet wash when required and back to di vessels for windows , I also use my bypass option for conservatories or fsg cleaning jobs using normal water for all the cleaning and switch back to pure water to finish off final rinse :)

Back