Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Di . Before or after the pump

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Elliot

For those that purify there water on demand with di bottles on the van . Where do the bottles  go . ? Are they better before the pump or after the pump .  I have always purified the water straight into the van tank . Occasionally putting hot water through them on cold winter mornings . I have hot and cold outside taps . Therefore having pure warm water in the tank . The main problem is the pure water that does not get used that day is iether left in the tank and is cold the next day or is drained and wasted . So I am wanting to blast the hot water straight in the tank just before I leave for work . And purifying as I go . I also fill a trolley straight from the tank outlet. With a hoselock splitter before the pump . Obviously I won't be able to do that . So will I still be able to use the splitter obviously after the di bottles . Any advice thanks . 

It’s the pumps that pump the water through the DI tanks mate. So it’s like this water butt - pump - DI - wheel - pole

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Thanks Alec . Right I was thinking that . But I wasn't 100% sure . That would work good for me then . So I would have tank , pump , di bottles , then the splitter . One to the reel and one to the hose to Fill the trolley . Does that make sense . I suppose the only small issue would be the pump would have to be on to fill the trolley . But that's no problem it could even fill the trolley faster . Have I got that right . ? Cheers 

Thanks Alec . Right I was thinking that . But I wasn't 100% sure . That would work good for me then . So I would have tank , pump , di bottles , then the splitter . One to the reel and one to the hose to Fill the trolley . Does that make sense . I suppose the only small issue would be the pump would have to be on to fill the trolley . But that's no problem it could even fill the trolley faster . Have I got that right . ? Cheers 
My son prefers to use a backpack for most of his work when he works along side me. He uses a second 25l plastic container to slowly fill this whilst he is out using the backpack. He has the controller set on 2 on our Varistream. When his backpack is empty he uses the nearly full container to fill it and then starts the process again.

If you are a one man band you can't use a backpack and a hose reel at the same time so having the pump slowly filtering water through your di vessel into your plastic container could be the way forward for you.

Right thanks lads . That sounds the best  way  forward for me to set it up . An easy and cheap way to get warm water . Also my son works with me as well , we do something similar to you spruce , one is on the main reel and the other on the trolley . We have a spare container filling behind the van . But it was gravity that was filling it . Now it will be the pump filling it . So the pump 100psi shurflo will be able to handle the main hose and fill the trolley . ? That's my only concern . 

if you have the room in your van then double d.i. getting the most out of your resin ,

not sure on what the cost saving to the penny are over the years but if your like us and wont use anything above 0 then i am sure it saves use around 16-20 days worth of work per old d.i  (no.1 ) befour the new resin in the second di starts to take the full load of cleaning up the water 

for us running a lot of vans and living in a hard water place we go though a bag of resin around every 4 weeks so for us it a worth it 

the shurfo pump will be fine for filling the containers from the vans tank bit slow but will work , theres better and faster pumps for this and can be easily wired in to the tank but it all depends what your needs are 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i have the room in the van to mount both di bottles . At the moment they are outside and I fill straight through them into the van . The saving in resin will probably be not much compared to how i do it now . It’s more getting piping hot water straight into the tank . The wife’s kicking off saying she wants something towards the gas bill . Ha ha . A bottle of vino will do ha ha . And my concern was being able to fill the trolley with the pump . But that should be okay . Just got to make a couple of pipe adjustments and an easy set up . Just on with it now . Thanks for the feedback . 

Well just got it set up . Small set back need some advice . The hoselock connections between the di bottles are blowing off . It’s as if the pressure is building in them before the controller shuts down to dead end . ? 

I had mine before pump witch is fine but after pump you can test resin every few days and if need be change

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

if there blowing off it will be mostly down the the connections and the o rings as said befoure  , i always replace these for new when re giging a van or if i think there getting old as there rubbish  ,

we dont have dead end and cam settings on our controllers as i have them made like that , and we dont have any bother with them blowing off did you let it run for 5 mins after messing with it to push all the air out ? 

Right I will replace the rubber o rings on the di bottles . I have only had them 9 years . Ha ha . I thought they would be fine as they don’t drip . No I didn’t run it open  obviously should have . I turned it on and let it hit the pole tap which was off . Thanks for the replies . 

Well just got it set up . Small set back need some advice . The hoselock connections between the di bottles are blowing off . It’s as if the pressure is building in them before the controller shuts down to dead end . ? 
I always find some hoselock fitting don't clip in properly. I replaced mine with barbed connectors and clips. Is a pain when you need to change the resin however. 

I went with DI after the pump. I figured if I ever forget to check the PPM I wouldn't ruin an entire tank. I've got a mate who purifies with old resin before and then new resin afterwards, alternating the bottles each time his PPM goes too high (I hope that makes as much sense as it did in my head)

The only issue I have found is that the canisters leak. I searched this up and it's quite common but by the end of the 500L tank they can have thrown 3/4 litres on the floor of the van so I drop mine out of the van when i'm using them.

You can only get an air lock on whats before the pump as it sucks air in

you cant get an air lock in anything after the pump.

so for ease of system maintenance and minimum chance of air locks put D.I after pump

Back