Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2 man system in a pug partner

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Whadya reckon chaps?

My partner is 850kg payload

reckon ill be able to scrape in under the limit with 2 man in a van?

I have a 500 l tank which should weigh 35kg so theres 535kg, i weight 85kg so 620kg

I dont carry much, fuel i tend to stick 20 quid in at a time and that lasts the week or so, so thats 20kg max 640kg

i carry a few tools, ladders on roof but they can come off if neeed, maybe another 30-40kg in reels, d.i etc. 

reckon i can get inder the limit, but the question is will i run out of water? reckon so! 

Ill be employing 2 days a week so could do a bit of trad i suppose although id rather not **** about with that, or could come back and refill and keep the work local 

hmmm

dont want to buy another van as this ones on finance, didnt think it through did i  :1f602:

I reckon you’ll be alright as long as you don’t carry too much junk. Remember you’ll probably do 1/3 1/2 more work than on your own, so water will last longer than you think. You especially want to have the help on your most compact days, that way you aren’t paying for them to sit in the passenger seat all day, and provided it’s near to home, not a big deal to top up at lunch time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with it. Realistically payloads are lower than they have tested them for anyway. I guess the van is only full in the morning with the weight on board going down as the water does. Make sure your job advert has a weight limit  :1f602:

Whadya reckon chaps?

My partner is 850kg payload

reckon ill be able to scrape in under the limit with 2 man in a van?

I have a 500 l tank which should weigh 35kg so theres 535kg, i weight 85kg so 620kg

I dont carry much, fuel i tend to stick 20 quid in at a time and that lasts the week or so, so thats 20kg max 640kg

i carry a few tools, ladders on roof but they can come off if neeed, maybe another 30-40kg in reels, d.i etc. 

reckon i can get inder the limit, but the question is will i run out of water? reckon so! 

Ill be employing 2 days a week so could do a bit of trad i suppose although id rather not **** about with that, or could come back and refill and keep the work local 

hmmm

dont want to buy another van as this ones on finance, didnt think it through did i  :1f602:
You can take the D I out and add it to the R O at home as I do.

If you start to get low on water you could just wfp tops on last few jobs to save water.

I am now employing 2 days per week but lucky for me the guy has 5 years experience with wfp, because as you know you use a LOT more water when you don't know what your doing. Bear that in mind when planning your days, the new guy will use more than you do. When I was training up the wife I couldn't believe how much water was gone when I checked after each job, shocking! Make sure to teach him to work to the speed of his flow, the higher the flow the faster you go.

Or you could keep the D I on board and maybe top up at a willing customers house? Might cost a bit in resin but will help whilst you get the new guy up to speed.

You can take the D I out and add it to the R O at home as I do.

If you start to get low on water you could just wfp tops on last few jobs to save water.

I am now employing 2 days per week but lucky for me the guy has 5 years experience with wfp, because as you know you use a LOT more water when you don't know what your doing. Bear that in mind when planning your days, the new guy will use more than you do. When I was training up the wife I couldn't believe how much water was gone when I checked after each job, shocking! Make sure to teach him to work to the speed of his flow, the higher the flow the faster you go.

Or you could keep the D I on board and maybe top up at a willing customers house? Might cost a bit in resin but will help whilst you get the new guy up to speed.

yes theres quite a few way i could work it i suppose, i worry too much.....

i decided to wait till after christmas before employing...fresh start in new year. Just putting the system together and sorting out contracts etc

you did well to find someone experienced then, good luck with it

Only chance you have of not running out is to trad the bottoms. I work on the principle that a 650l tank lasts me  for 10 hours on my own. So just doing houses you might get longer with a 500l tank but with 2 men you need to only use 40l each an hour and you will only get 6 hours 

I wish my partner was 850kg payload, mine is only 600kg. I've got a 350l tank, double di , ladders on the roof, I'm 17st and boy can I tell when the tank is full!!!

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Only chance you have of not running out is to trad the bottoms. I work on the principle that a 650l tank lasts me  for 10 hours on my own. So just doing houses you might get longer with a 500l tank but with 2 men you need to only use 40l each an hour and you will only get 6 hours 

Yeh I will run out I'm sure, not decided in hours yet but it won't be 10. Got loads of barrels so I think it will be a case of coming back and refilling. I'm never more than 20 mins from home as only cover a 5 mile radius really.

Yeh I will run out I'm sure, not decided in hours yet but it won't be 10. Got loads of barrels so I think it will be a case of coming back and refilling. I'm never more than 20 mins from home as only cover a 5 mile radius really.
 Well looks like you have solved the problem, get a backpack, leave your employee on a job, pop home, reload and get back to him, you could even reoganise that on the days you might run short you are nearest to home to make the journey quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Well looks like you have solved the problem, get a backpack, leave your employee on a job, pop home, reload and get back to him, you could even reoganise that on the days you might run short you are nearest to home to make the journey quicker.
Had done this on the odd occasion when I have started to run low. 

Personally I believe a 2 man system (for domestic works) to be a false economy. 

You do not save enough time at each house (cause it certainly wont save you 50% of the time you spend there) 

For an extra man I believe an extra van is the most cost effective and productive way to go. 

If you do 20 houses a day on your own this will only climb to 25 - 28 with a 2 man system which will just cover what you're paying him so those properties are no longer profitable to you at all, they are literally there just to pay him. 

WIth 2 vans that load doubles to 40 houses per day and now YOU are making profits off of his labor.  

As usual, just my opinion mate. 

Personally I believe a 2 man system (for domestic works) to be a false economy. 

You do not save enough time at each house (cause it certainly wont save you 50% of the time you spend there) 

For an extra man I believe an extra van is the most cost effective and productive way to go. 

If you do 20 houses a day on your own this will only climb to 25 - 28 with a 2 man system which will just cover what you're paying him so those properties are no longer profitable to you at all, they are literally there just to pay him. 

WIth 2 vans that load doubles to 40 houses per day and now YOU are making profits off of his labor.  

As usual, just my opinion mate. 
There is so many variables to this there is no right answer, I have this conversation almost daily

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If I was taking somebody on, I’d initially want them to work alongside me, can give them a bit of training and make sure they are sensible and reliable.

It Gives you time to build up without investing too heavily, then when the work starts building up, they can go alone and hit the ground running..

I have a fair few jobs where I have to use ladders for flat garage roofs, and a couple where you have to go over garage roofs to access rear gardens, my sons does this with ease so much faster than I could, on these occasions I’m glad that there is two of us working together. 

I intend to have someone full time on his own, but have to get there first, that means a part timer till got enough work.

Will see how profitable it is, i dont expect to do twice as much but would hope to make it worthwhile, but will only find out by trying.

We have multiple staff I can talk through pitfalls if anybody needs a chat or wants to dm me please feel free it’s a big step

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Latest Posts

Back