Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which chemical to clean this??

Cottonlung

Hi all..

I've been given the task of cleaning some really minging fascia cladding which is grey and faded .. I thought general tfr would have been enough, but after doing a test patch it's not done anything.. can someone recommend a chemical to cut through the black/ grey  baked on grime .. pics included ..thanks in advance20171114_110445.jpg

20171114_110439.jpg

Upvc solvent cleaner but it's alot of work to get the really deep stains out but that would do it normally it's wipe on wipe off stuff.

Only use chemials as strong as tfr ubik and they probably would struggle with that.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Can only do so much with chems most chems will just get the surface grime off. If the upvc is yellow or dirt ingrained it's gonna be a big time consuming job you will probably be better on on a ladder with a light sanding block and a load of upvc cream cleaner too try get it looking better. I use "The pink stuff" cream cleaner which is really good but I would stay clear of this job looks like too much hard work for me. 

All the above comments are very valid , we have done a few like this on the last couple we put some hypo in the virosol mix and it did look a lot better than just doing it with virosol or tfr not saying it was perfect but the customer was happy with it otherwise the only other option is to get up close and personal and do it with a plastic restorer of some discripion not something we would want to do 

tfr20 would be my choice its the strongest tfr out there but some times its a majic spung thats needed to get them white again if the stains are to deep

Tfr20 and magic sponge would be my go to for this - test patch the worst area and quote acordingly making sure the customer is happy with what ‘could’ be achieved. I’ve done a few of these recently and although not 100% the customer has been happy as I’ve shown them a test before and after.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Unger Rub Out and a Green scourer.  Will come up sound and your arms will ache for a week.   

At least £200 for whats shown in the pics.   No 'you wont get that round here' nonsense.  That's what you need to charge to have time to di it right.   If they dont want to pay that then leave it be and move on to next job. 

That’s some gnarly upvc. Personally I’d try a test patch with a 2% SoftWash mix, but if your not into that it looks like the old elbow grease and some upvc restorer. Always remind the customer that you can only achieve so much, it’s never gonna look brand new.

Unger Rub Out and a Green scourer.  Will come up sound and your arms will ache for a week.   

At least £200 for whats shown in the pics.   No 'you wont get that round here' nonsense.  That's what you need to charge to have time to di it right.   If they dont want to pay that then leave it be and move on to next job. 
Exactly right.. needless to say I did tell the customer it wasn't the job for me... but in my mind I was thinking I work to earn money not do cheap favours to stay in people's good graces within reason obviously.. it's not often i turn work down but it was gonna be a nightmare of a job and I wanted compensating for a good few hours of scrubbing..

if you were to do it safely by hand then i would suggest scaffolding or a picker would be the only safe option & i doubt theyed be prepared to fork out for that just to clean the plastic. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it off a ladder anyway, too long a duration of time to be working on one really. Think you made the right decision

if you were to do it safely by hand then i would suggest scaffolding or a picker would be the only safe option & i doubt theyed be prepared to fork out for that just to clean the plastic. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it off a ladder anyway, too long a duration of time to be working on one really. Think you made the right decision

Thanks bud.. it's hard saying no to jobs but some jobs like this are just non starters... most people think about the £££ before what's safe/time/end result... plus I couldn't put my name to a job I knew in my heart of hearts wasn't going to come up that well.

Yeah man dont be afraid to say no to a job, i was asked to do a gutter clearance on some 3 storey apartments the other day, on a busy main street in the city center. 30 ft high on the lowest parts, they were jam packed, the guttering was in very bad condition, some of it would have been better off being replaced, very dangerous job, he thought it could be done off a ladder. Vac wouldnt have stood a chance either. I said to him i wouldnt dare...scaffolding or cherry picker the only answer

Yeah man dont be afraid to say no to a job, i was asked to do a gutter clearance on some 3 storey apartments the other day, on a busy main street in the city center. 30 ft high on the lowest parts, they were jam packed, the guttering was in very bad condition, some of it would have been better off being replaced, very dangerous job, he thought it could be done off a ladder. Vac wouldnt have stood a chance either. I said to him i wouldnt dare...scaffolding or cherry picker the only answer

Sounds like you would of been opening up a can of worms of the guttering wasn't in A1 condition to begin with.. im sure there would be some cowboy to tackle it a pair of ladders and a couple of hail Mary's ?

The ancient cast iron type guttering, the stuff with rusted brackets and all that. Best off replaced. Anyone doing it off a ladder would be mad, couldnt get the whole job done safely and all it takes is for a resident to open a window while youre on the ladder and youre a gonner

Back