Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump leaking from the pressure switch

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So I have a pump leak and could do with a bit of advice. I bought this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100psi-Shurflo-Pump-Board-and-Pro-Controller-w-strainer-fittings-and-cables-inc/321646951330?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Got a P5 error and read that this was the pressure switch. I took the pressure switch off to try cleaning around it etc but it all popped to bits. I managed to get it all back together and put it on. This didn't resolve the issue so I put the 2 wires together to completely bypass the pressure switch. This also didn't work and the issue ended up being the battery. Now this is all up and running with a charge to the battery and the switch is still bypassed but the pump is spitting out a steady flow of water from the bottom where the pressure switch is.

Do I need to replace the pressure switch or is the entire pump done? Is it likely I have just put it back together a little loose or something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only use a PWM controller, not a digital one, and recently whilst rewiring my setup forgot to reconnect the pressure switch. When I switched on, water came out everywhere.

Try reconnecting the pressure switch and recalibrate the controller to shut of the pump at a lower pressure.

Some controllers are not designed to be used without the pressure switch connected. Could just be the pump is overpressurizing.

Sounds to me like there could be a gasket put together the wrong way?

I've taken off pressure switches on various pumps but never have seen any place where the water could get out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry my previous post left out and important fact. When I turned the pump on, the flow was obstructed by the tap. The pump being uncontrolled by the pressure switch was too powerful. Water was forced out of the seals.

So I have a pump leak and could do with a bit of advice. I bought this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100psi-Shurflo-Pump-Board-and-Pro-Controller-w-strainer-fittings-and-cables-inc/321646951330?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Got a P5 error and read that this was the pressure switch. I took the pressure switch off to try cleaning around it etc but it all popped to bits. I managed to get it all back together and put it on. This didn't resolve the issue so I put the 2 wires together to completely bypass the pressure switch. This also didn't work and the issue ended up being the battery. Now this is all up and running with a charge to the battery and the switch is still bypassed but the pump is spitting out a steady flow of water from the bottom where the pressure switch is.

Do I need to replace the pressure switch or is the entire pump done? Is it likely I have just put it back together a little loose or something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is this a new pump or old one!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only use a PWM controller, not a digital one, and recently whilst rewiring my setup forgot to reconnect the pressure switch. When I switched on, water came out everywhere.

Try reconnecting the pressure switch and recalibrate the controller to shut of the pump at a lower pressure.

Some controllers are not designed to be used without the pressure switch connected. Could just be the pump is overpressurizing.
I'm gonna rewire the pressure switch tomorrow mate. I planned to do this anyway. I was a little frustrated when I realised the battery just needed charging and I had gone to the effort of bypassing the switch to be honest. All a learning curve though.

Sounds to me like there could be a gasket put together the wrong way?

I've taken off pressure switches on various pumps but never have seen any place where the water could get out?
I can't see anywhere the leak would come from. If wiring the pressure switch back up doesn't make a difference i'm gonna take it to pieces and see. If a gasket was on the wrong way I would have expected a drop in performance but the pump seemed to be working fine?

Is this a new pump or old one!
Its a new one I think mate... I assume you mean a new model not a new or second hand one? Only started out a few months ago. The guys I bought it from sell quite a few of them so I assume they wouldn't be left with any old models on their stock. Never know I guess.

I'm gonna rewire the pressure switch tomorrow mate. I planned to do this anyway. I was a little frustrated when I realised the battery just needed charging and I had gone to the effort of bypassing the switch to be honest. All a learning curve though.

I can't see anywhere the leak would come from. If wiring the pressure switch back up doesn't make a difference i'm gonna take it to pieces and see. If a gasket was on the wrong way I would have expected a drop in performance but the pump seemed to be working fine?

Its a new one I think mate... I assume you mean a new model not a new or second hand one? Only started out a few months ago. The guys I bought it from sell quite a few of them so I assume they wouldn't be left with any old models on their stock. Never know I guess.
On your label there will be a manufacturing date what is it. You will see Amp or Amps which one is worded also does it have a CE mark. There is a reason behind this as came across the same problem with someone who brought in a pump

On your label there will be a manufacturing date what is it. You will see Amp or Amps which one is worded also does it have a CE mark. There is a reason behind this as came across the same problem with someone who brought in a pump
I can't see a CE mark. The manufacturing date is Feb this year. I just jumped in the van and took some pics. Also I've flipped the photo's so they're easier to see but it is actually upside down on the board.

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_4658.JPG

Thanks. We sell pumps and turn around is roughly 2/3 months from production date . That pump was made in Feb, the casting on our pumps is smooth metal but looking at your picture it looks sparkly if that is the word. Exact same as the pump that was faulty. Cannot comment any more but the one thing that sticks out is the manufacturing date. The CE mark in genuine pumps are pretty big but cannot see it on the photo

Thanks. We sell pumps and turn around is roughly 2/3 months from production date . That pump was made in Feb, the casting on our pumps is smooth metal but looking at your picture it looks sparkly if that is the word. Exact same as the pump that was faulty. Cannot comment any more but the one thing that sticks out is the manufacturing date. The CE mark in genuine pumps are pretty big but cannot see it on the photo
Yeah it is a bit. Different shades to the metal all over making it patchy. To be honest I bought this when I first started out a few months back but I never thought of checking it was a genuine Shurflo product. Recently I have read of people taking cheaper pumps and changing the product label or making their own labels for them! Considering the price of a pump and controller (Not even looking at the backboard and postage cost) I struggle to see how they could make money. The controller seems to be a genuine Spring one though

PS which looks like P5 means their is air getting into the pump double check the screw on Jubilee clips are nipped up nice and tight and pump butterfly threads on inlet and outlet I had this issue earlier in the week.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Come on, a bit of oxidisation on the outside isn't going to cause problems on the inside. 

I think what is being said is, that if it is a counterfeit, then it will likely contain substandard parts as this is how counterfeiter's make their money. If this is this true then that might be why it is leeking.

Doug did mention recently on another post that there were some Chinese copies in the Market.

If the chinese can copy a BMW and sell it with a Chinese name and get away with it (BMW lost a recent court case over copying according to my son) then the Chinese aren't going to worry about coping a Shurflo pump are they.

Well I didn't have chance to reconnect the pressure switch wires today but I did find that the switch itself was a little loose so I tightened it up a little.... Now I have a new issue, the pump was previously at floor level and now I have raised it up it sounds like its working but it isn't getting any water through at all. I checked the pipe to the pump and there are no blockages etc but that pipe only dishes out water when it is lower than the tank.... Any ideas chaps?

Well I didn't have chance to reconnect the pressure switch wires today but I did find that the switch itself was a little loose so I tightened it up a little.... Now I have a new issue, the pump was previously at floor level and now I have raised it up it sounds like its working but it isn't getting any water through at all. I checked the pipe to the pump and there are no blockages etc but that pipe only dishes out water when it is lower than the tank.... Any ideas chaps?
There is the setup if it helps

R+LzqHAKRBKZnX+pQ+a2rw.jpg

When the water level is low as it appears in the picture, and you are feeding your pump from the outlet in the bottom of the tank as it also appears in the picture then gravity will play a part in priming the pump when it is mounted low and you switch on. However, when your pump is mounted above water level then priming relies purely on the vacuum created by the pump in the hose. This will usually work OK but just take a little longer for the pump to lift the water. However, if any air can get in whatsoever, then it will likely either not work or create other problems as the pump won't be able to create the necessary vacuum in the hose.

Also when priming you want to disconnect the hose at the reel so there is no backpressure for the pump to struggle against.

When the water level is low as it appears in the picture, and you are feeding your pump from the outlet in the bottom of the tank as it also appears in the picture then gravity will play a part in priming the pump when it is mounted low and you switch on. However, when your pump is mounted above water level then priming relies purely on the vacuum created by the pump in the hose. This will usually work OK but just take a little longer for the pump to lift the water. However, if any air can get in whatsoever, then it will likely either not work or create other problems as the pump won't be able to create the necessary vacuum in the hose.

Could it be that it's struggling to pick up water given the low water level in the tank but high location in relation?

I reckon I'm gonna fill the tank and have another blast... Hopefully that will get it kickstarted. I wouldn't have to keep it filled all the time to keep it going though would I?

I reckon I'm gonna fill the tank and have another blast... Hopefully that will get it kickstarted. I wouldn't have to keep it filled all the time to keep it going though would I?
Once it's primed and running you shouldn't have any major issues providing the pipework is air tight. Any little gap and it'll favour pulling air over water.

Latest Posts

Back