Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Winter Beckons.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dmw

I started WFP back in March and now preparing for my full first winter, we've had a couple of days where I've had to scrape my windscreen but nothing subzero yet.

So apart from my oil filled radiator in the van and bringing my hose and pole in its just a matter of keeping an eye on the forecasts.

Interestingly though compared with last year I've managed to pretty much complete all my work because it's easier to work through moderate rain and also safer when it's windy.

I'm running a cold system so I expect to lose a few days when it gets really cold, but I would tradding anyway, providing I get no technical issues I'm quiete looking forward to seeing how things pan out. Just my thoughts.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I started WFP back in March and now preparing for my full first winter, we've had a couple of days where I've had to scrape my windscreen but nothing subzero yet.

So apart from my oil filled radiator in the van and bringing my hose and pole in its just a matter of keeping an eye on the forecasts.

Interestingly though compared with last year I've managed to pretty much complete all my work because it's easier to work through moderate rain and also safer when it's windy.

I'm running a cold system so I expect to lose a few days when it gets really cold, but I would tradding anyway, providing I get no technical issues I'm quiete looking forward to seeing how things pan out. Just my thoughts.

If your able to trad it in the freezing cold, then your able to Wfp it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be all fine. Might wake up to frozen water one morning or two. But your be fine. Get the shoulders going and your warm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

If it’s minus 2 and not rising, I find the water freezes at the jets. A flask is handy to defrost. Although, the water just freezes under windows on footpaths etc, causing  potential issues. Some guys take a bag of grit. I tried this but it looked messy. Infact if it’s that cold, take the day off and do something fun.

if your ro or di freeze, they probably won’t benefit from it.

I haven’t had a bad winter in this job yet.............

If it’s minus 2 and not rising, I find the water freezes at the jets. A flask is handy to defrost. Although, the water just freezes under windows on footpaths etc, causing  potential issues. Some guys take a bag of grit. I tried this but it looked messy. Infact if it’s that cold, take the day off and do something fun.
if your ro or di freeze, they probably won’t benefit from it.

I haven’t had a bad winter in this job yet.............
On a busy day I would probably go through a fair amount of grit and I wonder if it's spread near front door whether you would get complaints about them treading it through the house etc. I'll see how it goes.
And they are saying we are due a bad winter.well see.

Back in the winter of 2010 I didn’t work for 6 weeks because of the amount of snow , couldn’t  get around, I was tradding back then ,lucky I have a second job .....

Back in the winter of 2010 I didn’t work for 6 weeks because of the amount of snow , couldn’t  get around, I was tradding back then ,lucky I have a second job .....
I remember that winter. Never had a 2nd job. Struggled nearly gave up. Iv since thought a ladder m8rix would of solved that problem

On a busy day I would probably go through a fair amount of grit and I wonder if it's spread near front door whether you would get complaints about them treading it through the house etc. I'll see how it goes.
And they are saying we are due a bad winter.well see.

If you read the papers the telegraph etc all say we are due the worst winter in years every year 

I reckon it is so that when they eventually have a bad one they can say told you so

Been doing this job 26 years pretty much and not often do i have to give up due to the cold

Only lost a few days in 2010 too

Using backpack or trolley helps when it is very cold as the hose from van laying on the cold floor across the road etc makes it freeze whereas you can just have a short length of hose on a trolley or backpack

2010 was great, I worked for a delivery company and we had loads of days off with full pay and early finishes etc as it was too dangerous to be out on the roads. Went sledging everyday, now i would panic if it were to snow I've never worked in it. I think best thing you can do is save up plenty of money and be able to have a month off and enjoy the snow rather than panic when you can't work, it's no way to live in fear all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
if we get snow, odds are i wont b able to get to 50% of custys, but ill try to work anyway, just pump hot water through di and have heater on full blast, smash it out till water cold, then go home

There is not much that will stop me, getting out there.  This winter I want to know how bad it really has to get before I can't work.  And remember, that's can't work, not wont work as I for one would rather stay in my nice warm bunk than work in sub zero but bills need paying so go to get on it.  Off to order tyre chains

Suppose it depends how long the snow is gonna last if we do get it. Don't mind having a week off as not had much time off this year but there becomes a point where you need to get out there. It would certainly make a lot of work difficult, but where there's a will there's a way to work if you really want to. I think m when. Weathers bad it's more a case of won't rather than can't like green says 

Back