Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

For the PRO diy er, help wanted

WCF

Help Support WCF:

johnny bravo

Any budding wanabe sparkys or proffesional DIY er out there,    Im after putting a 3light spotlight up in my kitchen,    a bit unsure how to get it fixed up.  Any advice will be great,  Probably  easy if you know how.reds live ,

The Rose on ceiling has to be removed to get it fixed op.,

Black on left, Red live on right, Earthed on left.

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

light1.jpg

light4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Black goes into the negative. Earth into the earth and the middle red into a separate connector and the remainde reds into the live

theres 4  reds,

what do i do with the 2 white wires going into the  black light fitting

Which do i fit into the new base,  does the earth go into middle hole

surelly i dont fit all 3 black into the N IN THE NEW BASE

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to do this one soon. I take it you doing the same.

You tube is your friend.

It will require moving all the ceiling rose wiring up into into the ceiling in a new type of fitting in exactly the same configuration. And running from this fitting back out the hole in the ceiling to the new light an earth, live and neutral wire. (That being a piece of three core cable)These would be also connected to the same live/red and black/neutral. The earth wire required by the new light assy can be wired to the earth connection on the new fitting installed inside the ceiling.

That's how I intend to do it. I've just got to get the new fitting to move the wiring into the ceiling from ebay. I think there are two types of fitting available. Source of info on you tube.

This is DIY advice only. I am not a professional house electrician.

ceiling rose.JPG

cheers mark,    a bit long but he does explain in detail,   after a couple of watches  you become an electrician,

Mark what are you getting off ebay, the wago 222 series boxes + junction box,  at least i know ill need some 1.5m twin earth cable to add to my new fitting.

To be honest, if you don't know what you are doing, you shouldn't DIY it at all. Especially not high voltage installations! You could introduce all sorts of potential fire hazards.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but please make sure it's done to code at least.

Don't know the laws in the UK, but here it's illegal to work on your own system unless you are a certified company.

theres 4  reds,

what do i do with the 2 white wires going into the  black light fitting

Which do i fit into the new base,  does the earth go into middle hole

surelly i dont fit all 3 black into the N IN THE NEW BASE
You don't use the white wires as your putting up a new fitting . Your supposed to fit them in but I always use bigger connector blocks so they fit in with ease as it's a pain in the ads trying to fit them into the blocks they supply 

cheers mark,    a bit long but he does explain in detail,   after a couple of watches  you become an electrician,

Mark what are you getting off ebay, the wago 222 series boxes + junction box,  at least i know ill need some 1.5m twin earth cable to add to my new fitting.

Yes long winded but he covers everything.

I'm going to get the wago 222 connectors and one junction box off ebay. No one mentions this when you buy the things! 

Enlarging the hole in the ceiling to take the new box through might take a little time.

The footprint of the new light assy will cover a larger hole though so should be okay.

Good luck with yours mate

https://www.connexbox.com/wagobox-junction-box.html

The above company have all the bits and seem cheaper to buy than ebay, and you don't have to faff about with vendors who either don't have both the connector types, or the box, or only have packs of 10 connectors.

Priced up comes to £2.72 inc vat.....plus postage unstated. I'll update you tomorrow when they confirm the bits and the postage.

nudel where u from,

Ive got a sparky coming to give me a price,    If it was only one cable i would do it, but its the main feed with 3  cables connected starting the lighting system on lower floor.

ill stick to changing plugs etc,  Not worth it as they are hidden away also.   

I live on the Faroe Islands @johnny bravo

Was a electronics teacher (computer elctronics/analog signals and some automation) in Norway for a couple of years. So while I am not a certified high voltage electrician, I have most of the basics down.

Back