Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

auto shut off for DI vessel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

John194736374839

Hi everyone,

I filter my water just using a DI vessel as the tds reading where I live is low enough. I would like to install an auto shut off on my tank in the van. I've seen allot that are designed for RO filters, just wondering if there is anything for just DI vessels. I thought about using a float valve, but will this create a massive build up of pressure in the vessel if left for a long time, and would that be an issue? I hope that all makes sense.

thanks

John

I've actually just finished an automatic fill system with auto shut-off and some other bells and whistles.

I'd need to do a full write up or video of this, but here's the gist of it.

Here's what I have stationery in my basement. It's basically a pump from my RO storage tanks, and a 12v PSU I turn on from a switch outside. It's controlled by a timer set to the approximately time  it takes to fill, so it won't empty the storage completely if something goes wrong.

IMG_20171110_154627.jpg

In the van I have a solenoid and a float valve that shuts it off when full, i dont have any pictures of that right now though.

So I hook up 240v in the van to charge my battery and activate the solenoid PSU, and the hose and it starts filling.

If you want to shut off the water before your DI you need the solenoid there.

I've actually just finished an automatic fill system with auto shut-off and some other bells and whistles.

I'd need to do a full write up or video of this, but here's the gist of it.

Here's what I have stationery in my basement. It's basically a pump from my RO storage tanks, and a 12v PSU I turn on from a switch outside. It's controlled by a timer set to the approximately time  it takes to fill, so it won't empty the storage completely if something goes wrong.

View attachment 12015

In the van I have a solenoid and a float valve that shuts it off when full, i dont have any pictures of that right now though.

So I hook up 240v in the van to charge my battery and activate the solenoid PSU, and the hose and it starts filling.

If you want to shut off the water before your DI you need the solenoid there.
Ah ok, so is that a wireless connection then to before the DI?

Ah ok, so is that a wireless connection then to before the DI?
Mine is not wireless, but it's not a bad idea actually. You can hack a garage port opener remote and set it to momentary function controlled by a float switched in the tank, triggering the solenoid inside your shed (or where you have the DI). My only concern would be the battery life on the remote, but you could either hook it up to your van battery with a voltage converter, or use a usb power bank.

But the simpler solution is to just have some wiring connecting the float in the table directly to the solenoid. I didn't want to have to hook up three things to my van every day, so decided to go the over-engineering way making it easier in the long run.

Mine is not wireless, but it's not a bad idea actually. You can hack a garage port opener remote and set it to momentary function controlled by a float switched in the tank, triggering the solenoid inside your shed (or where you have the DI). My only concern would be the battery life on the remote, but you could either hook it up to your van battery with a voltage converter, or use a usb power bank.

But the simpler solution is to just have some wiring connecting the float in the table directly to the solenoid. I didn't want to have to hook up three things to my van every day, so decided to go the over-engineering way making it easier in the long run.
It hurts my brain just reading this never mind trying to implement it.  :1f635:

You don't need anything complicated John - just a solenoid valve linked to a float switch. Or even just a typical ball valve like you get in a cold water header tank/toilet. Keep it simple and you won't have any issues. On the subject of pressure in the DI, it shouldn't make a difference the only issue I've had is when the hozelock connections pop off under normal tap pressure (I've now changed all my connections to rectus 026)

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

It hurts my brain just reading this never mind trying to implement it.  :1f635:

Hehe, this kind of stuff is what I find the most enjoyable with window cleaning. I have a small workshop/hobby room with lots of bits and bobs, tools and 3D printers, and love tinkering.

Spend a couple of days to save a few minutes every day? Worth it in my opinion.

Everything is open source of course, though its difficult finding time to document it all. http://hertel.fo/index.php/vindeygavask/OSWC

You don't need anything complicated John - just a solenoid valve linked to a float switch. 

Would there be a interest in the forums / community to do some simple guides to stuff like this? 

Back