Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Home made filter.

I'll sometimes use water from a customer's rainwater butt if it's not too green. But, of course, you can get bits of debris which are small enough to go through the strainer and be large enough to block a fan jet.

So, I made this little filter to go just before the brush. You can see what it is and how it's made. the important thing is that the sponge is not too tight. I trimmed it with very sharp scissors to be about the same diameter as the outside of the hose. Then it fills the hose, but isn't so tight that it offers too much resistance.

20171124_121730.jpg

Oh, dear!

After much fishing with a bent safety pin I eventually got the foam out of the rectus 21 female where it had become stuck behind the water-stop mechanism.

This is V2 with a bit of tie wrap cut up and folded over as you can see in the pic. This one actually works in that it doesn't allow the foam to bung up the fitting.

It doesn't slow the water noticeably and it will probably trap jet-blocking particles, so it's fulfilled its mission.

Oh, well, even NASA doesn't get it right first time every time. But they are probably better engineers than I am.

20171124_140108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Necessity is the mother of invention they say. You'll figure it out.

I made a filter for the barrel end of my hose after I had problems with an inline filter I bought. PF sell one, but I made one out of bits I had lying around. You just undo it and fit the medium of your choice and to make it fit an 8mm ID pickup hose I just pushed a peice of pole hose over the hosetail

HozelocToPu_adapter.JPG

Necessity is the mother of invention they say. You'll figure it out.

I made a filter for the barrel end of my hose after I had problems with an inline filter I bought. PF sell one, but I made one out of bits I had lying around. You just undo it and fit the medium of your choice and to make it fit an 8mm ID pickup hose I just pushed a peice of pole hose over the hosetail

View attachment 12033

Yes, I like DIY and it's always better when it actually succeeds.:)

V3 currently in use and performing better. Instead of using foam, I'm using a small roll cut from an old floor scrubbing pad from a scrubber drier. It's made of a tough white fibre. The filtering is perfect for my needs and the water flow is unimpeded. I've also cut a disc to place in the filler strainer and that catches a lot of debris.

Back