Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employing somebody

Legend

Evening everyone,do any of you guys or girls have and advice on employing,I know it can be a pain in the backside but as in earning money is it worth it? Hope your all having an awesome evening

Only you know your figures and if it's worth employing.

Be prepared for headaches like sloppy work, not turning up damage to equipment.

But find the right person and it can be great there just hard to find.

Allow for extra costs like employers liability insurance, pay roll, holiday/sick pay,Tax and n.i.extra running cost(tools and equipment, water)etc.

It works wonders for some but it's not for every one.

They can only be self employed if they have there own or other work along side yours and use there own tools/van.

If they work purely for you using your tools and equipment then they should be employed.

Would it be an idea to look at youngsters in the army/air cadets that have not managed to get in the service for whatever reason?

In my experience they are already displaying traits I would want in an apprentice/worker to have. ie motivation to 'do' stuff, be reliable etc.

Just a thought I was having.

i personally would say look for ex forces guys, but im extremely biased. Imo 99% will graft, weather doesnt faze them and if they not been out long then fit enough to do the job. Only issue you may have is if they did the minimum 4 years, as some of them probs hated it, and just scraped through. Cadets may be a good place to look, but make sure they done a fair bit, and progressed through the ranks, although saying that i got demoted from sgt to lcpl in cadets for a couple pranks, mainly painting the rsm's cane yellow and putting his bike up a flagpole (6 of us, all got caught, he was a complete ****). Should of had the boot but the CO found it hilarious.

You don't have to pay them sick pay. I worked for Mitsubishi and they didn't pay anyone sick pay until after 5 years.

Regardless, any employee you hire will have teething problems. I think college students would be a good option.

Part time, Studying for a new career and hopefully if they follow there education you won't fear them taking over.

Edit: Everyone is entitled to statutory sick pay. But there is ways around this. I don't think part time employees count. Full time employees would need to take off 4 working days to qualify. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you were badly informed, if you worked for a company that didn't give you sickness benefits unless you'd been there 5 years. It must have been an agency, that supplied you, and lied  you or it was in the 1950 's. Anyone working, I believe, 16 hours a week, is entitled to sickness benefit. 

I think you were badly informed, if you worked for a company that didn't give you sickness benefits unless you'd been there 5 years. It must have been an agency, that supplied you, and lied  you or it was in the 1950 's. Anyone working, I believe, 16 hours a week, is entitled to sickness benefit. 
I worked for Mitsubishi, not an agency. It's in there company policy. Everyone is entitled to statutory sick pay by law. But not full pay. 

But the company pays the first 28 weeks, not the Government . This was changed years ago. 
If your off work as employed staff. You are entitled to 28 weeks statutory sick pay. They didn't pay a penny until you work there for 5 years. Hence why no one took days off, I only quit this year. 

in there company policy.
A company policy is NOT a legal document.  Neither is a contract of employment unless it follows the letter if the law.  

If you take someone on and the majority of the work they do is for you (regardless of who supplies tools vans ect) then they are an employee.  

The only exception to this is fixed term subbing.  Example: 2015 we had the builders clean for Grand Central in Birmingham.  My firm supplied 12 lads full time for six weeks.  

As the contract had a completion date drawn in it was obvious it was a temporary assignment and hence we were sub contractors. 

If it had simply been a contract with no completion date we would have been employees. 

The art of employing is a tricky one.  Forget worthwhile to you.... You have to make it worthwhile to them to make them want to turn in, take pride and be a key employee and that involves good pay, good work conditions, good training, pension, holidays sick pay ect.  

Working for cash in hand today is worthless. The pittance you save on dodging your P.A.Y.E. obligations is not worth it as you have no holiday pay. No sick pay. No pension. 

It is a long and arduous road to find the right person to represent your company and to treat it as you yourself would.  

We have been looking for employees for over six months now and not found one that fits a very simple criteria: 

Can work Mon - Fri 8am till 4.30pm 

Speak English 

Hold a full driving licence

Every person interviewed has had at least one issue with one of those three requirements. 

We have for sometime considered alternatives and have just this week finished turning the business into a franchise operation. At least that way they have a vested interest in holding up a standard. 

Last year Pimlico Plumbers lost a court case arguing their workers were sub contractors.  The workers supplied their own vans their own tools ECT Pimlico just supplied the work.  

Argued that the workers were free it take on other work however the workers were piled up with so many jobs they had no time to go else where.  Also working 'outside' the business may jeopardise your chances of having decent work next week. 

Any how Pimlico lost the case and that's a firm with £4 mil annual turnover.  They could afford to fight it and did. But lost. 

Back