Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Price

ashley john

Hi all I done my house yesterday and just wondering what you all would charge roughly for this? I am trying get an idea of what everyone else would charge for a gutter clean this size. I would charge 20 pound. Is this to cheap? Also put my lights up too lol.
ac94c45e6d6cdec8336c9378d421a23c.jpg
a40b5763f6dec3921a27e298171c8ed7.jpg
0619530244ad2ccaa3b6977a1e42681f.jpg

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Personally wouldn't get out of the van for a £20 gutter job. I appreciate that money for the Newbies is tight but why risk your life for buttons. £50 minimum for me, and I'm usually very competitive on pricing 

Personally wouldn't get out of the van for a £20 gutter job. I appreciate that money for the Newbies is tight but why risk your life for buttons. £50 minimum for me, and I'm usually very competitive on pricing 
Hear hear quite agree don’t go in that cheap £50 minimum charge and we would use a vac to do it not a ladder , sometimes you do need to get the ladder out if I think Ime going to have to do that the price will be considerably more , if they don’t want to pay that’s fine there are loads who are happy to pay a reasonable price for a quality job if they expect you to risk life and limb for £20 they arnt the type of customer I want , dont under sell your self , how long will it take you to do it ? £20 in my book is 30 minuets on window cleaning maximum gutters start at £50 for about 5 meters front and back so total 10 meters will usually  take 30 muinets 

Yeah I understand that however I want to get customers in and hopefully get referrals starting out just want to get the customers in. I appreciate your advise just want to get established as soon as i can if that makes sense

Yeah I understand that however I want to get customers in and hopefully get referrals starting out just want to get the customers in. I appreciate your advise just want to get established as soon as i can if that makes sense

I know it’s hard when you start out I remember it well but look at it this way at that sort of price you would be better off stacking shelves in Tesco , sole traders don’t have sick pay , holiday pay : no pay if weather is bad and cannot work , then you are prepared to empty a gutter for £20 how long do you think you will be off work if you fall ?? It’s very easy to be a busy fool better to have less better priced work you will do less work for the same money , please do t think Ime having a go at you but don’t under sell your self if you get a reputation for cheap work you will struggle to improve as everyone will expect a cheap job , I hope you make a go of it , explain to the customer what’s involved sell your services and justify your prices that’s what we do , as an example we did 10 meters of guttering on a 2 storey shop and a 10 meter length at 3 storeys took one hour price charged £250 customer was quite happy with the price , this isn’t boasting but just showing what is achievable with the right approach, hope this helps in some way 

£60 minimum for a gutter clean, but if it's an existing customer and is convenient, then I drop it to £40, especially on a repeat visit as it is usually 10mins Max on that type of job since its usually just blocked at the spout and no where else.

I agree with the others about charging a decent price for a potentially dangerous and messy job.

I clear gutters from a ladder rather than use a gutter vac and wash down with wfp and wouldn’t even consider stepping foot on the ladder for less than £50. As you get more work and gain more experience you’ll get more confident charging higher prices.

Here’s one I did on Thursday last week. House to the left of the red line in the pic. That was £80 to clear, another £80 to wash down and then £20 for the windows.
65fe2f4a47e1781b0862854cf8c9bf7a.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

60 to clear out (front and back) of a terrace, to clean them as well... at least double or ideally triple that depending on how long you think it will take. And price in the windows, sh*t flows downhill, you cant do the tops without doing the windows. Always assume every downpipe is blocked and needs pulling apart, gutters to be rammed, and windows assume as a first clean. Dont risk your life or your equipment that costs a lot of money to not make enough on it...spare parts and new equipment dont come cheap and thats the kind of job you want someone footing the ladder. Account for it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I'm just using a gutter vac only, no ladders. Anything that's not doable I'm passing on it. Can't be advertising as gutter vac service and start pulling ladders out on jobs. Find folk don't mind paying a bit extra when they see the genny and vac equipment and they know there is no chance I could fall from height at their property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always remember that customers can smell desperation. And always keep in mind that you are doing them a favour, not the other way round.

I dont see the point in clearing/vacuuming the gutters if you’re not gonna unblock downpipes? The idea of it all is so that the water reaches ground level! If you gotta get the ladders out, so be it, i would never pay for somebody to vac the gutters if they didn’t bother checking downpipes or unblocking them. I use a vac in combination with ladders, we do whatever is necessary to get the job done. You’re asking for complaints otherwise “hiya mate you’ve cleared my gutters but there’s still water shooting over the edge...

I dont see the point in clearing/vacuuming the gutters if you’re not gonna unblock downpipes? The idea of it all is so that the water reaches ground level! If you gotta get the ladders out, so be it, i would never pay for somebody to vac the gutters if they didn’t bother checking downpipes or unblocking them. I use a vac in combination with ladders, we do whatever is necessary to get the job done. You’re asking for complaints otherwise “hiya mate you’ve cleared my gutters but there’s still water shooting over the edge...

Dont think anyone would empty gutters and not do the down pipes ??? Bit of a pointless exercise,most down pipes can be unblocked with the vac with a bit of patience , if not the fibreglass chimney sweeps rods on a reel from the bottom work very well rod it from the bottom and vac from the top it’s very rare we cannot unblock it , we use the vac for most jobs not suitable for all jobs tiles over hanging gutters and large bush growth or large turfs that have grown into the cavity wall area , ladders do have there place we occasionally use them , if it’s 3 storey or more we hire in a cherry picker if access is ok if I think there is going to be a problem , we use a local guy with cherry picker he charges £30 per hour minimum of 2 hour charge I think that’s quite reasonable . This has been our busiest year to date for gutter vac work stacked out with it booked solid until mid January 

Dont think anyone would empty gutters and not do the down pipes ??? Bit of a pointless exercise,most down pipes can be unblocked with the vac with a bit of patience , if not the fibreglass chimney sweeps rods on a reel from the bottom work very well rod it from the bottom and vac from the top it’s very rare we cannot unblock it , we use the vac for most jobs not suitable for all jobs tiles over hanging gutters and large bush growth or large turfs that have grown into the cavity wall area , ladders do have there place we occasionally use them , if it’s 3 storey or more we hire in a cherry picker if access is ok if I think there is going to be a problem , we use a local guy with cherry picker he charges £30 per hour minimum of 2 hour charge I think that’s quite reasonable . This has been our busiest year to date for gutter vac work stacked out with it booked solid until mid January 
Had the occasional jungle in gutter corners in 3 storey buildings but never had it where gutter vac couldn't get it. I find most 3 and 4 floor buildings it takes longer to get there and do the survey then it does to clean them out. 

I hear where your coming from but trust me, if you start off low you’ll never get the price point to where it should have been in the first place. Go in at £20 when it should be £50-£60 means more than doubling the price to be where you should have been at the beginning. Don’t sell yourself too cheap. Your the one taking the risk getting up there, make sure you get paid accordingly. Be safe!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Had one this morning, quoted up a job at £70 for a gutter clearance, large detached property. When i spoke to the woman on the phone she had a thick northern accent, i thought she said no 35. Showed up this morning at no 35, no answer at the door, phoned but she was in work, waited 20 minutes for her to ring back, no phone call. So we drove back to the lock up, switched the gear over ready for next job, her husband then phones back saying hes been waiting in for us all morning, do we have the right address? I said we have you down as no 35. He said no its 39. I said sorry, 5 and 9 can sound the same on the phone. Switched gear over again and went back. Got there, massive extension 25 meters of extra guttering on top of the house. Luckily theyed cleared the majority of that themselves as its low. All house gutters rammed to the brim, every single downpipe blocked solid. Got out of there at 12 oclock when we were meant to start at 8. 4 hours to do a max 2 hour job lol. It was a misunderstanding and nobodies fault of course. But this is why you need to be charging. Anything unexpected can happen, mistakes can be made, and before you know it its hardly worth the bother

Had one this morning, quoted up a job at £70 for a gutter clearance, large detached property. When i spoke to the woman on the phone she had a thick northern accent, i thought she said no 35. Showed up this morning at no 35, no answer at the door, phoned but she was in work, waited 20 minutes for her to ring back, no phone call. So we drove back to the lock up, switched the gear over ready for next job, her husband then phones back saying hes been waiting in for us all morning, do we have the right address? I said we have you down as no 35. He said no its 39. I said sorry, 5 and 9 can sound the same on the phone. Switched gear over again and went back. Got there, massive extension 25 meters of extra guttering on top of the house. Luckily theyed cleared the majority of that themselves as its low. All house gutters rammed to the brim, every single downpipe blocked solid. Got out of there at 12 oclock when we were meant to start at 8. 4 hours to do a max 2 hour job lol. It was a misunderstanding and nobodies fault of course. But this is why you need to be charging. Anything unexpected can happen, mistakes can be made, and before you know it its hardly worth the bother

Why I would never quote a competitive price blind. If someone wants a price on the phone I will give them a range. If they want a firm price then it will be at the top of the range, Bad windows can take you twice as long, bad gutters can take you 5 times as long.

I did view it on google earth but it let me down again lol. The extension was built last year so it wasnt up to date [emoji23]

Latest Posts

Back