Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hozelock fittings leaking

ppads52

Hi all, need some advice on fittings for a twin Di set up I have;

ive a hose from outdoor tap to twin di then to my tank, every single “Plastic” hozelock fitting leaks, I’ve changed the tiny rubber seals on the male connectors but still leaks, any ideas of what I can do would be appreciated.

Are they genuine hozelock or cheap knock offs? I’ve found in the past that cheap ones from B&Q always fail.
Is it leaking from the hozelock fitting itself or from the part between the DI and male connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, need some advice on fittings for a twin Di set up I have;

ive a hose from outdoor tap to twin di then to my tank, every single “Plastic” hozelock fitting leaks, I’ve changed the tiny rubber seals on the male connectors but still leaks, any ideas of what I can do would be appreciated.
Simple solution to this mate. Get brass fittings, drier than a nuns punani ?

Stainless ones from Gardiners

Not badly priced when you see what a rip off hozelock is and never leak

Are they genuine hozelock or cheap knock offs? I’ve found in the past that cheap ones from B&Q always fail.
Is it leaking from the hozelock fitting itself or from the part between the DI and male connector?
the DI vessel has the male fitting and the hozelock has the female fitting, the leaks are exactly where they join. 

was that what you meant? is it possible the DI male connector could be the cause? can you actually renew them?

These ones on the hose and pump section

Look under garden hose connectors

12" barb is perfect for garden hose for di

Just needs jubilee clips to attatch hose

Screenshot_20171206-192628.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The genuine metal hozelocks are pretty good, I've not had leaks with those yet. Although the aquastop one drips a bit when it's disconnected even though there's no pressure in the system.

Those couplings look great though @Dave B

They have ball bearings like rectus type fittings which makes them work smoothly and be reliable

I had no clue what I was looking for when I started out but I called Gardiners and they were unbelievably helpful, they talked me through everything I would need for each step of my system including the hose fittings recommended by @Dave B.

The only issue I found was the DI vessel leaking. I purify the water on site so wanted it all secure and water tight in the back of the van. After some research I found a lot of people have a leak from the DI but as most people purify at home they don’t really notice it. No one seemed able to help me stop it so I just drop the vessel out of the van before I start.

I can honestly say though that not a drop comes out of any of the hose connections, just the DI vessel.

I had no clue what I was looking for when I started out but I called Gardiners and they were unbelievably helpful, they talked me through everything I would need for each step of my system including the hose fittings recommended by @Dave B.

The only issue I found was the DI vessel leaking. I purify the water on site so wanted it all secure and water tight in the back of the van. After some research I found a lot of people have a leak from the DI but as most people purify at home they don’t really notice it. No one seemed able to help me stop it so I just drop the vessel out of the van before I start.

I can honestly say though that not a drop comes out of any of the hose connections, just the DI vessel.
That could be resin in the threads when screwed up causing a slight leak

Open it up and clean the threads as best you can with a brush and screw back up

It may work or may not but it worked with mine

That could be resin in the threads when screwed up causing a slight leak

Open it up and clean the threads as best you can with a brush and screw back up

It may work or may not but it worked with mine
I think I’ve made my peace with this problem now haha. The actual leak is out of the in and out hole. I got the new black vessel Gardiners sell. I couldn’t get the screw fittings in far enough at first and it was p1ssing out everywhere so I took them apart and put a tiny bit of WD40 around the seal with a toothbrush, I managed to get them to screw in much further but it’s still slowly leaking. I would guess I lose maybe a litre an hour through it. Everywhere I looked people seemed to say it was because of the backwards way I purify water and that I should just purify it as I load the van haha.

I think I’ve made my peace with this problem now haha. The actual leak is out of the in and out hole. I got the new black vessel Gardiners sell. I couldn’t get the screw fittings in far enough at first and it was p1ssing out everywhere so I took them apart and put a tiny bit of WD40 around the seal with a toothbrush, I managed to get them to screw in much further but it’s still slowly leaking. I would guess I lose maybe a litre an hour through it. Everywhere I looked people seemed to say it was because of the backwards way I purify water and that I should just purify it as I load the van haha.

The "Male" parts which screw into the vessel head should be wrapped with PTFE tape.... and plenty of it. This WILL seal the leak if this is where it's coming from. I run twin DI's, all with Hozelock type fittings leak free for 14 years. I also find the best fittings to be B&Q's own brand- the "Blue" ones. 

The "Male" parts which screw into the vessel head should be wrapped with PTFE tape.... and plenty of it. This WILL seal the leak if this is where it's coming from. I run twin DI's, all with Hozelock type fittings leak free for 14 years. I also find the best fittings to be B&Q's own brand- the "Blue" ones. 
Never heard of that stuff. I might look it up and see what I can do! Cheers dude

Never heard of that stuff. I might look it up and see what I can do! Cheers dude
It's also known as plumbers tape. You will get it from b&q, homebase, screwfix etc or any plumbers merchant. You need to wrap the male threads, in a clockwise direction about 10 times. The wraps have to be tight, I reckon this is where your leak is.[emoji106]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

cd3134c4b97658ff35c6130d6172d476.png
6a1f0024df786de32b303b05490e5d07.png

You can always link your Di vessels using washing machine hoses.They're tough as nails and do the trick.3/4" Bsp thread which is what's on most di vessels at inlet & outlet.Even old discarded ones are ten a penny.Try local recycling dumps or Electrical retailers that receive & recycle white goods

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back