Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello and is work still out there

Zip

Morning everyone. Just saying a quick hello. My first post on here. 

Was looking at starting up around 8 years ago but a new job got me before I had chance. I'm now in a position to start up part time and build into a fill time business.

Just wondering if in all your expert opinions there has been a rise in the number of window cleaners generally. Is there still plenty of work to go around. Are things generally how they have always been or are things becoming over saturated. Is there still the bright future out there in domestic work that 8 or so years ago everyone said. What would your advice be. This would be my full time job for the next 20+ years. I'm in the north of England but advice from everyone is welcome.

Thanks guys. Look forward to your replies.

Definitely more window cleaners out there, i think wfp has made it more desirable for a lot of folks who wouldn’t have worked from ladders... still plenty of work to go around, although a bit more travelling involved for a lot of guys than years ago... 2 most important things are not to over stretch yourself initially, don’t finance gear etc and stick with it, it takes longer than you’d expect to build a quality round, but is doable, and very worthwhile.

Definitely more window cleaners out there, i think wfp has made it more desirable for a lot of folks who wouldn’t have worked from ladders... still plenty of work to go around, although a bit more travelling involved for a lot of guys than years ago... 2 most important things are not to over stretch yourself initially, don’t finance gear etc and stick with it, it takes longer than you’d expect to build a quality round, but is doable, and very worthwhile.
Thanks. I’m in no mad rush but want to slowly escape low paid employment. As with any business there is an element of risk. Reading some posts it seems like every man and his dog is starting up and then other posts show work it out there. I have noticed a couple of new vans over the years in my town but then there are new electricians etc too. 

The only thing I will need finance for is a van as our car is a no go. I intend to offer both traditional and wfp with a diy set up. Hopefully start buying equipment after Xmas and practice practice practice. Get going February/March onwards.

The posts on here have been very helpful. And I will be looking for advice about equipment over the next few weeks.

Thanks

Welcome, and yes. While I don't know your local area situation, I'll cite a teacher I had when finishing my IT education right after the bubble bursted; There is always room for good workers in every trade, no matter the saturation.

Do a good job and stick to it, you'll get swamped with work. I started out two years ago and now I have a full WFP van setup and more work than I'd like to have. Just start out small and grow gradually.

Welcome, and yes. While I don't know your local area situation, I'll cite a teacher I had when finishing my IT education right after the bubble bursted; There is always room for good workers in every trade, no matter the saturation.

Do a good job and stick to it, you'll get swamped with work. I started out two years ago and now I have a full WFP van setup and more work than I'd like to have. Just start out small and grow gradually.
Cheers for that mate. Good to hear. Always good advice on here. Am determined to make it work and will make sure my quality is second to none. 

There is a lot of competition. Some areas harder then others, but even in a hard area it's still far from impossible just takes a bit more grit and determination.

Think of it this way, how may tens or hundreds of thousands of houses are there in your area? Sure you night have to travel a bit if you are out in the sticks but in most parts of the UK there is plenty to go round.

Remember you might only need 300 or so custys for a one man band...that's really not a lot when you look how many houses are out there.

You could do it in a few months or a few years depending on area and how hard you graft but there's no doubt it's doable. You will need a lot of patience as Messer's will be sent to slow you down. Expect to go through double the amount of custys that you will need. 

It's really a throw mud at the wall and see what sticks game, you need a thick skin.

If you look at some of my old posts when I started coming up to 3 years ago you will see the struggle I went through to build a round, I was always moaning and getting depressed about it as found it a really hard, slow process. From all accounts I am unlucky to be working in one of the most saturated areas in the UK. But like I said it's still possible no matter how hard it may seem, it's only a case of perseverance and time.

Best of luck mate, it's all worth it once you get established.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon there is loads of work out there. There are a lot of people who come and go, but for someone who is there year after year things just get better and better. I live in an area that is "saturated" with window cleaners, and was when I started 4 years ago. If the market is saturated, in my mind, that means there is a lot of work to be had. As mentioned above, weed out the messers, and in time you will have more work than you know what to do with. It then becomes an act of refining your rounds to make them quicker and  more profitable. I was in your position in that I started out part time and tied it in  with a part time job until it all took off. I had the luxury of working weekends at my old job and spending the week days canvassing and leafleting. Eventually then you can go full time. Good luck if you decide to go down the window cleaning route ?

Amount of customers also depends on how big they are. At the moment I have just over 70 of my own regular customers, as well as about 30 on commision. 

Many of mine are big even huge commercial jobs. I understand they can be hard to come by many places as the big cleaning corporations often snatch them up though.

I wouldn’t worry too much about an area being oversaturated. Like Nudel said, there’s always room for good workers.

I don’t know if I’d go as far as to say that my area is oversaturated but there’s a fair few of us about and at least a couple of new guys have popped up each year over the last few years that I’ve been going.

Learn what you’re doing, practice a lot, give good customer service and do a good job and the work will come to you.

I’m taking work off of other window cleaners on an almost daily basis at the moment so I must be doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

There is a lot of competition. Some areas harder then others, but even in a hard area it's still far from impossible just takes a bit more grit and determination.

Think of it this way, how may tens or hundreds of thousands of houses are there in your area? Sure you night have to travel a bit if you are out in the sticks but in most parts of the UK there is plenty to go round.

Remember you might only need 300 or so custys for a one man band...that's really not a lot when you look how many houses are out there.

You could do it in a few months or a few years depending on area and how hard you graft but there's no doubt it's doable. You will need a lot of patience as Messer's will be sent to slow you down. Expect to go through double the amount of custys that you will need. 

It's really a throw mud at the wall and see what sticks game, you need a thick skin.

If you look at some of my old posts when I started coming up to 3 years ago you will see the struggle I went through to build a round, I was always moaning and getting depressed about it as found it a really hard, slow process. From all accounts I am unlucky to be working in one of the most saturated areas in the UK. But like I said it's still possible no matter how hard it may seem, it's only a case of perseverance and time.

Best of luck mate, it's all worth it once you get established.
Thanks. Great to hear from guys who have been through it.

I reckon there is loads of work out there. There are a lot of people who come and go, but for someone who is there year after year things just get better and better. I live in an area that is "saturated" with window cleaners, and was when I started 4 years ago. If the market is saturated, in my mind, that means there is a lot of work to be had. As mentioned above, weed out the messers, and in time you will have more work than you know what to do with. It then becomes an act of refining your rounds to make them quicker and  more profitable. I was in your position in that I started out part time and tied it in  with a part time job until it all took off. I had the luxury of working weekends at my old job and spending the week days canvassing and leafleting. Eventually then you can go full time. Good luck if you decide to go down the window cleaning route ?
Cheers. I'm quite fortunate, I have a pretty safe 40 hour a week job. Pays just £18k. But I can work pretty much what hours I want. Some people will think I'm mad to risk it and go window cleaning but I'm at the stage of life where I don't want to get to retirement in 25 years and think what if. What if I'd made that leap and tried. I don't want to be sat in an office for the next 25 years earning little more than minimum wage. 

All the encouragement and help you guys give to me and others is invaluable.

If you build up a good round and price well from the start (don't undersell yourself), then there is no reason why you shouldn't double your current salary and do less than 40 hours per week.
Good luck.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

2 simple points regarding my experience in my area.

are there loads and loads of window cleaners? Yes absolutely!

are there many that turn up when they say they will, do an excellent job, be friendly, be respectable, take payment by a method that suits the customer, turn up to quote when asked and put in the hours canvassing and advertising? No not many. 

do a good job and there is an almost unlimited market for you

If you build up a good round and price well from the start (don't undersell yourself), then there is no reason why you shouldn't double your current salary and do less than 40 hours per week.
Good luck.

Yeah, 18K isn't enough to live decently on. Take the plunge! 
Thanks guys. My wage has gradually got worse over the years. It's an easy office job. Cushy hours. We get by. But obviously I want more for me and the family. 

It'll take some hard graft to keep the 40 hours a week job up and build a round working after I finish and Saturdays but with determination I will make it. 

It's been absolutely freezing today and yet I was sat in my lovely warm office dreaming of being out in the cold which either means I'm mad or it's what I really want. 

2 simple points regarding my experience in my area.

are there loads and loads of window cleaners? Yes absolutely!

are there many that turn up when they say they will, do an excellent job, be friendly, be respectable, take payment by a method that suits the customer, turn up to quote when asked and put in the hours canvassing and advertising? No not many. 

do a good job and there is an almost unlimited market for you
That's exactly what I intend to do. I guess it's the same as with builders electricians etc some will not turn up when they say they will and not clean up after them selves etc. It's the smaller details people will remember you for. 

I've mentioned a couple of times on various posts but I made the leap a from a good banking job (they did used to exist lol) well paid and fairly secure. I'm earning more than now than ever did in the bank and like a few others picking up plenty of more custys on a daily basis. it's nerve wracking to start with hoping to make what u did in secure employment but just keep going and the good hard work will be rewarded. like others have said don't make yourself too cheap. that's a mistake I did make and now the cheap ones do my head in!!

good luck

I've mentioned a couple of times on various posts but I made the leap a from a good banking job (they did used to exist lol) well paid and fairly secure. I'm earning more than now than ever did in the bank and like a few others picking up plenty of more custys on a daily basis. it's nerve wracking to start with hoping to make what u did in secure employment but just keep going and the good hard work will be rewarded. like others have said don't make yourself too cheap. that's a mistake I did make and now the cheap ones do my head in!!

good luck

Thanks pal.

Latest Posts

Back