Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fascias wouldn't clean...

Had the worst Fascias to clean today..i even used pure ubik2000 and it still didn't shift the scale or rough residue...i had to use a Stanley blade to scrape the scale off.

Anyone else suffered this and what did you use..? Took 2hrs to clean 75% clean on one gutter. Gutted myself.[emoji26]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Had the worst Fascias to clean today..i even used pure ubik2000 and it still didn't shift the scale or rough residue...i had to use a Stanley blade to scrape the scale off.

Anyone else suffered this and what did you use..? Took 2hrs to clean 75% clean on one gutter. Gutted myself.
emoji26.png

With respect surely you should have noticed this when quoting the job ? Occasionally we have looked at jobs like this and tell the customer we wouldn’t do the job better off repkacin* it as it’s bound to be old plastic 

I did a commercial fsg earlier this year and they we're a mess and could tell they were never going to be brilliant, so I told the MD that I can do it but it won't be 100% perfect
He said fine we agreed on price and I cracked on with it , and I'd say it was 80% better, and the MD was very pleased with it, but you walk away from those jobs never totally happy about it.

Anyone else suffered this and what did you use..? Took 2hrs to clean 75% clean on one gutter. Gutted myself.
emoji26.png

Whats the difference between a FSG clean and a UPVC restore?

We tell customers that we will clean the dirt off of them. Each customer is made aware of this before we start the job. If they want them looking like they were just fitted then they need to get someone else in to replace all the plastics. That is a lot more expensive than the price we are doing the clean for.

We don't do UPVC restores.

Some plastic stain and even with direct abrasive cleaning, the stain and discolouration is still evident. We are window cleaners and offer a cleaning service as an add on for an existing customer.

We are very blunt in explaining what the end result will be. They will not look like they have just been fitted but we will do the best job we can on them.

I did a commercial fsg earlier this year and they we're a mess and could tell they were never going to be brilliant, so I told the MD that I can do it but it won't be 100% perfect
He said fine we agreed on price and I cracked on with it , and I'd say it was 80% better, and the MD was very pleased with it, but you walk away from those jobs never totally happy about it.

Our sentiments also. Yes, our objective is to get them looking like new but that doesn't always happen. In the early days we had a whole lot of windows in our area that had sections of the plastic window frames and gutters turning pink and customer wanted us the get them all white again.

Not possible - and its actually not our problem. Its the customers problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fully agree with the last few comments. Be as blunt/up front as you can and do the best job you can within your means.
Always remember
1. you’re cleaning them, not replacing them.
2. UPVC should be cleaned regularly to keep it in tip top nick, i have a few customers that have theirs cleaned annually or bi-annually at most and it still looks pretty damn shiny, if you’re gonna leave it 5 years without cleaning it then...its never gonna look the same. Sunlight and all sorts degrade UPVC over time and turns it brittle.
3. The whole idea of the water fed pole system is to save you from getting up ladders!! People aren’t spending thousands on equipment and van systems only to spend half our lives on ladders (although we all do it)
Always price high because you know you could end up spending more time there than you anticipated. Sometimes you do have to get the magic sponges and cream cleaner out here and there. But there seems to be an age old battle going on in my head, chemicals this, chemicals that, ( theres always something they dont bloody shift) and there’s always a new chemical you could have. Should I convert to a hot system?? etc etc. The point has got to come where you stop spending money and profit from your job. hypo this hypo that, really? Some of the stories i’ve heard of hypo ruining property..sorry...just no, not for me. If it looks like a complete mess and you think you’ve got a grumbler or a quality control inspector for a customer then maybe think twice and say better off to replace.
We live in a world where the cost of living is so high that people are expecting more and more for their money and being more awkward, and in the world of online reviews and bad word spreaders uuugh.
I’ve used lidls w5 platinum washing up liquid for four years now, clean plastics week in week out. Magic sponges, cream cleaner and ladder here and where i think i feel it needs touching up. But it is what it is. My line has always been the same “it’s not going to look brand new but it’ll be a hell of a lot better than it looks now” and they accept that. As long as you feel you’ve done the best you can within your power without being ridiculous, then dont kick yourself fella [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Back