Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water freezing on the glass

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
What's going on with the title @Gav can only create a thread with no gaps!

Not experienced this before. It's -2 this morn

When I've cleaned windows and left droplets to dry off they are turning to ice .

Firstly will it dry ok? No point working all day if it's gonna be a mess..

Secondly any way to stop it?

Will isopropyl or whatever it's called in the tank work? Does it affect TDs?

Guessing hot won't make much difference as it will soon cool and freeze?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bit odd. It might be your phone. Not seen anyone else have issue like that yet. It's 25 characters and that includes spaces.

Sent using the WCF App

No way I'm cleaning  with WFP in sub zero conditions, frozen water on the glass and then leaving slipping hazards with frozen water on paths etc. Doesn't look professional in my opinion, and really quite irresponsible and leaving yourself wide open to litigation. 

If it's frozen pure water, and you've rinsed properly, it shouldn't be a problem. It's never caused me a problem anyhow. Not that it happens often where I am in the SE UK. When it happens it's usually unheated porches/connys

it was -4 over night and is just up to -2 now at 10.30am I parked the truck up outside the garage while I got stuff sorted for a later start drove to first job and hose is frozen so no go today as yet, Will try a bit later today. Same weather tomorrow then warmer as from wednesday. 

If water is freezing up on every window I wouldn't bother at all, As above usually only porches etc that their is an issue 

No way I'm cleaning  with WFP in sub zero conditions, frozen water on the glass and then leaving slipping hazards with frozen water on paths etc. Doesn't look professional in my opinion, and really quite irresponsible and leaving yourself wide open to litigation. 

Nothing like going over the top mate ?

Glad I didn't think that much into it as I'd be sat at home all week.

Reason I posted the thread is because I'm looking for a solution to the problem if one exists.

It was the first few houses this morning I had a problem with, suns come out now and I'm working away fine so glad I'm not sat at home worrying about being sued.

Worst case scenario is a couple of houses dried a mess, but since I've no way of knowing as not done it before I can only offer to re clean them and see how they turn out.

Nothing like going over the top mate ?

Glad I didn't think that much into it as I'd be sat at home all week.

Reason I posted the thread is because I'm looking for a solution to the problem if one exists.

It was the first few houses this morning I had a problem with, suns come out now and I'm working away fine so glad I'm not sat at home worrying about being sued.

Worst case scenario is a couple of houses dried a mess, but since I've no way of knowing as not done it before I can only offer to re clean them and see how they turn out.

We had the same on Friday with a North facing conservatory. As soon as I had finished washing the water froze on the glass. Previous experience has taught me to wash first and then rinse immediately. The windows have always dried fine when I inspected them later, so I haven't even given my conservatory window clean a thought until now.

I don't even consider going out when the weather is like this. When you get older its easier to slip and fall. Falls usually mean a higher risk of broken bones. Broken bones don't heal well. Then I think of the expense should I crash the van on a slippery bend. For me it just isn't worth the risk - but that's me.

I really sympathize with you guys inland. Im on the coast and having problems with wind, & a freeze tonight. The weather is absolutely all over the shop. Make more in the summer and tuck it away for winter [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

We had the same on Friday with a North facing conservatory. As soon as I had finished washing the water froze on the glass. Previous experience has taught me to wash first and then rinse immediately. The windows have always dried fine when I inspected them later, so I haven't even given my conservatory window clean a thought until now.

I don't even consider going out when the weather is like this. When you get older its easier to slip and fall. Falls usually mean a higher risk of broken bones. Broken bones don't heal well. Then I think of the expense should I crash the van on a slippery bend. For me it just isn't worth the risk - but that's me.

I did a conny this morning and as soon as water touched it, it all iced over like an igloo lol.

But after I had scrubbed all the ice off and rinsed it then it appeared as a normal window.

The first 3 houses I did all iced up when drying but it was -2 up until 10am. It's quite warm now at least 2-3 degrees and no problems.

I know what you are saying but round here the roads were fine but I live in a city centre lots of traffic and gritters about 

All my drums froze in the van. No water will come out of the brush at all.
Did a couple of bungalows trad and now I’m home.
Water still frozen.

I did a conny this morning and as soon as water touched it, it all iced over like an igloo lol.

But after I had scrubbed all the ice off and rinsed it then it appeared as a normal window.

The first 3 houses I did all iced up when drying but it was -2 up until 10am. It's quite warm now at least 2-3 degrees and no problems.

I know what you are saying but round here the roads were fine but I live in a city centre lots of traffic and gritters about 

As long as you keep the water flowing through the hose and brush head you can work in subzero temperatures. Ive never had the water in the hose freeze but I have had the jets in the brush head freeze solid. I just swapped the pole over for another in the van. The pole soon thawed out. If we stopped after that we pointed the jets into the garden area and let the water flow.

We've worked in snow where the hose just sunk into the snow and you couldn't see it.

The only issue we had once was the rear van ports froze up on the way to the first job. We turned around and went home.

All my drums froze in the van. No water will come out of the brush at all.
Did a couple of bungalows trad and now I’m home.
Water still frozen.

I have a heater with a frost controller on it. The controller kicks on at 2 degrees and off at 3 degrees. The hose reels, back pack and 25 liter drum of water are all iced free as is the water in the tank. Temperature outside atm is - 2 degrees.

The back of the van had no snow on it this morning but the windscreen was frozen solid.

Haven't had any problem with gear freezing, d.i vessel, hose reel and pole comes into the porch overnight and pump is run dry in van. Haven't bothered putting a heater in van overnight as this seems to do the trick.

Once the vans warm and I'm working it's not going to freeze as no bulkhead in van and it's only small so it gets nice and warm in the van during the day.

Just took a couple of 2 litre bottles of hot water with me incase I needed to defrost jets but not needed today. 

Must have been cold though as ice was forming on the pole and the clamps freezing up this morning.

All good fun, managed to get a decent amount done today, counting days down till Christmas now ?

Using trad today and water froze up the second it hit the glass. Not sure if isopropanol works .. never tries it but curious to know if others have used it?

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Same here in north yorkshire .really bad day for wfp i usualy work in all conditions however i never really got going today got 8 houses done then had to throw in the towel and call it a day .water freezing on windows hose freezing up and arrived at my first job thismorning and realised pump ect was frozen as i forgot to put my radiator in the van lastnight. Silly question but how do you run your pump dry to prevent overnight freezing..

Had my worst day in four years with gear freezing ,was,int working  on saturday  so never bothered with the heater in the van thinking it would thaw out Sunday night instead kicking myself today.

Had the heater on all Sunday night but I was to late damage done on Saturday night hoses frozen solid this morning

hair dryer took ages i was freezing never be caught out again baltic

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock