Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Isopropanol in barrels of water

gwindows

Hi the hose was freezing the day as i was working   :1f910: :1f910:   had to stop,   Ive heard the isopropanol was the stuff to use in the water !! Just how much would you put in a 25 litre barrel .

Cheers in advance 

down to -4 = 10% by volume (ie. 10% isoprop to 90% water.)

down to -7 = 20% by volume

down to -15 = 30% by volume.

So imho it isn't worth using as the cost is too expensive. I'm also not sure what the rinsing water quality would be a at 10% mix. The other issue is getting it and storing it.

I have a small bottle in my office which I once used to clean the recording and playback heads of a VHS video recorder in the days when they were still the fashion. I went into the local chemist and asked for a bottle. The lady serving at the counter asked what I wanted it for. I told her I wanted to drink it. She refused to sell it to me even although I told her the real reason, so I had to buy it at another chemist. They still don't have a sense of humour in that chemist shop some 20 years later. They take things extremely seriously.

I was asked the same question in the next chemist and when I told them what I was using it for they didn't have an issue with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wcw recommend 600:1 for protection down to -3. TDS is negligible at 99% strength. So approx 1.75ml per litre of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Wcw recommend 600:1 for protection down to -3. TDS is negligible at 99% strength. So approx 1.75ml per litre of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
So i would want roughly 50ml per barrel   ! Could i just pour it in  or would it be better if it was put in whilst filling the barrels ?

I tried it years ago when i had a trolley and to me it never worked water still froze on problem windows porches etc 

It’s ****. Tried it when I worked for a National, as iron giant says water still freezes on the glass, and caused runs/spotting every time I used it.

wcw are not exactly correct on their dosage of 600-1,but then again if they did mention the correct dosage you'd never buy it,they also reccomend sealskin gloves for winter so pretty much says it all for me :1f644: ,

spruce is correct with those figures and whilst it would keep everything from freezing overnight or during the day theres the added costs involved with the iso,rocksalting paths entry and exit points notes to the customers to remind them to be carefull as you've left water on the ground that could potentially freeze there and then or overnight plus you'll get less work done so your profit margin is much much less,its actually cheaper in the long run to stay at home with a brew and hobnobs,or fig rolls-i like them/maybe tunnocks caramel wafers-oh the choice :coffee:

seriously though gwindows,if the waters freezing up on the glass or on the ground its time to call it a day, its the new/old saying "where theres blame-theres a claim"

I bought 10 liter of iso last year when it was just -2 and heater on never had a problem
Had 500ml in 500 liter tank with heater on water still froze but was -11 so just waiting on temp rising

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back