Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is a fan heater safe for use in van?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Brandon

Hi guys, it’s supposed to be -3 tonight.

All I’ve got at home is a small fan heater (one of those £15 ones from Tesco.

Will this be safe to leave on a low setting overnight in the van? The van is very open inside, I’ve got a flat tank so it can sit on top of that.

Also will it create enough heat to stop my gear from freezing?

Thanks in advance guys [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll do the job. You don’t need it to provide much in the way of warmth, just to keep the temperature inside the van from dropping below freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

It will cost you a fortune, don't do it. I used to use a fan heater for about an hour 3 or 4 times a week in the garage gym while I was training and it almost doubled the electricity bill. It's like having a kettle on constantly.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Quilted, fleeced and hot water bottled as much as I could last night as thought better not leave it running unattended all night. Kept my DI and pump from freezing so happy days.

Quilted, fleeced and hot water bottled as much as I could last night as thought better not leave it running unattended all night. Kept my DI and pump from freezing so happy days.

Had a cold one forecast Monday night, I bought a small 1kw oil filled radiator and it more than did the job, it could of probably been on a lower setting. A friend round the corner was totally frozen up in the back of his van.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It's probably more energy efficient to direct the fan heater directly at the tank,  but from a distance of at least a couple of feet. Fan heaters need to "breathe" easily or they can overheat. I know this to my cost! (I caused a fire many years ago using a fan heater too close to my clothes I was trying to dry. They did dry, though!)

Probably best to use it for a couple of hours like that and insulate the tank. Even a few layers of newspaper give quite good insulation.

Back