Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Would you put the prices up?

GSS Window Cleaning

I have about 3 or 4 roads where i do the whole road like 30 house or more im each and most are all £8 a house even tho they all have 10 windows minimum im in a predicament as next year i was gonna put them all up too £10. What would you guys do? Risk losing them at £10 or put them up a £1? I understand i dont have too travel so saving time but annoys me cleaning any house for £8. I mean i have too clean 20 houses just for £160. 

I don't think a price rise from £8 - 10 will see a huge drop off, usually the drop off is more than covered by the increased revenue it will also free up time to canvas better priced work or time in the armchair whatever you prefer. My guess is your main concern is some others windy will come in on an area you have monopoliesd. 

No i know for a fact no one will do them for £8 a house. Theres been a fella putting flyers through and he charges £18 on his flyer. So it actually looks good for me. This has all stemmed from when i brought the round it was all underpriced instead i should of put the prices up too how they should of been instead I've been doing a £1 here and there. Ive been doing them 7 years now and they all know and trust me i just gotta take the plunge and do it. As cleaning any house for £8 in 2018 isn't worth it. 

I respect you may have had these houses a while, but £8 is a very low price for a house dude, we do those size houses £15 front & back. We do work on a 6 week basis mind not monthly. Even if you put it up to a tenner it’s still a very reasonable price for a whole house! I’d say they’re having a good run off you. Don’t worry about competition mate put the prices up. No one else will take them on for less in this day & age and they’ll probably phone you again a year down the line when they can’t find anyone else to do it cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

What annoys me is that £10 is still a really good price its just they are used too having the previous cleaner who did them all his life for penny's with a scrim. Then i took over and my own fault for not being strict. 

What annoys me is that £10 is still a really good price its just they are used too having the previous cleaner who did them all his life for penny's with a scrim. Then i took over and my own fault for not being strict. 
Would've thought in a road all together you could do 30 a day. That gives you a gross of £240. All I know is you potentially leave the door open for someone else to pick up the ones that don't want to pay the extra £2. Then you have competition when you currently don't have. 

Don't know where you are but I don't work for nowt, but would be glad to earn that in a week. 

Would've thought in a road all together you could do 30 a day. That gives you a gross of £240. All I know is you potentially leave the door open for someone else to pick up the ones that don't want to pay the extra £2. Then you have competition when you currently don't have. 

Don't know where you are but I don't work for nowt, but would be glad to earn that in a week. 
I can do 20 houses but thats 200 windows and 40 doors. A lot when you think of it. Im not bothered about competition. My round takes 6 weeks in theory i could afford too lose 2 week worth of work and still probably get the same money. 

I have some stupid priced houses,cheap, but its up to us to put price up, £2 this year, then £2 following year or moan about it, change it to £12 every 6 weeks,do whats right for you.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I can do 20 houses but thats 200 windows and 40 doors. A lot when you think of it. Im not bothered about competition. My round takes 6 weeks in theory i could afford too lose 2 week worth of work and still probably get the same money. 
I could do 20 houses that size spread over a 2 mile radius. If you're not bothered about competition then put them up. This job is not rocket science, by your figures you are currently grossing £800 a week doing a manual job. I'm sure in the not so distant future competition will come along and they would love to earn that. 

Not being nasty you did ask if anyone would put the prices up. 

I think you have just just answered your own question , put up the price if you do loose a few you will probably find you are earning the same for less work , if you are doing a good job don’t worry about competition most will accept an increase in price 

I just wanna get the views of some of you lot, would you do £8 houses? And yes most weeks £800-900 plus but work hard for it.
I have a minimum price of £10 but because where I live there are loads of trad windies doing those size houses for £5, and doing a good job I concentrate on commercial work. 

However if you said I could earn £800+ a week doing 20 of those houses a day for £8 each I wouldn't bother chasing commercial work. 

I personally price based on wanting 200 a day on domestic work. 

So if you can clean 20 a day them they need to be a tenner a pop.

He's in the Birmingham area so I would have thought he could get away much higher prices. Its not the depressed North East where we struggle a bit.

On my books they would be around £12-£14. I do have a few at £8 but they are only a few and have much less work on them. I'd say most of my houses have slightly less work on them and are between £10-£12 every four weeks. The price goes up if they are cleaned less frequently.

My prices aren't a  great deal different to most windies round here. Some are a bit cheaper but there are one or two who are a lot dearer.

I'm in S Essex

Im not sure what's going on on this site but no-one seems to consider outgoings or paperwork time when looking at wages.

£800 A week minus roughly 350 A week on total out goings(fuel, cost of van spread out, equipment, servicing costs, leaflets, tax and NI etc), time for collecting and paper work time.
Potentially your working a 50+ hour week for 450 take home.
All of a sudden your on less than £10 an hour. Which you could get working as a sparks mate or labourer on site.

To rise or not to rise..... this is the question! 

We have all had underpriced work in the past just one of those things.  

Once in a while the books need purging and a price rise is the way to do it. 

A £2 pay rise on an £8 job is a 20% increase.  Which if you thought about it is a he'll of a price hike.  If your sky TV hiked 20% overnight you'd not be impressed. 

Worst case you'll lose a handful but the 20% hike on the rest will more than compensate in either profit or less work for same return. 

Im not sure what's going on on this site but no-one seems to consider outgoings or paperwork time when looking at wages.

£800 A week minus roughly 350 A week on total out goings(fuel, cost of van spread out, equipment, servicing costs, leaflets, tax and NI etc), time for collecting and paper work time.
Potentially your working a 50+ hour week for 450 take home.
All of a sudden your on less than £10 an hour. Which you could get working as a sparks mate or labourer on site.

It's a good point. 

A few of those things I kind of dismiss.

I don't worry about costs of van and fuel as it's my only vehicle. When I was employed I had a car and spent probably more on running costs. I didn't take that off my wages it's just a living expense. Paper work is 15 mins or so when I get home I don't consider it a big problem. Collecting is something I would never do. 

Tax I keep to a minimum by spending it on marketing and equipment. 

£350 a week on outgoings, no where near that buy get your point. That's why i will be increasing them after xmas. You just hear loads of stories of i make £1000 plus a week blah blah blah. Just trying too get peoples views 

Back