Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaking reel, how to stop it?

slippy

My hose connectors in my reel leak like anything.  The secretaries at Gardiners sent me the two bits in my hand, but where are they supposed to go? 

Any advice on stopping the leaks? 

1513202678008893422946.jpg

15132027583261317524786.jpg

If you look to the left side of the reel you can see where they fit. However I don't think the bits you have will fit the reel you have. In all honesty your better off with a clove leaf type reel like what I use. All threads have ptfe tape on them before bits were tightened up. No leaks in nearly 3 years !
ce6b54bb9b1a2bdc59db04b34a767101.jpg

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Writing

If you look to the left side of the reel you can see where they fit. However I don't think the bits you have will fit the reel you have. In all honesty your better off with a clove leaf type reel like what I use. All threads have ptfe tape on them before bits were tightened up. No leaks in nearly 3 years !

Thxs

As well as outside connectors, the inside ones leak the most.  On my reel.  I am trying to connect microbore to garden hose.   This is what I told Gardiners and they sent me the Clabber connector which isn't enough as far as I can see.  

And that brass elbow should fit on the outside of your reel. take off the male hoselock and it will screw on there. hosepipe should fit in the other connector, warm hose in hot water first and then it should lock/unlock onto the brass elbow, if thats whats needed.

I don’t understand what the 2 extra hoselock fittings and piece of green hose are for? Why not connect the reel hose directly to the inlet and remove 2 potential leaks? 

I don’t understand what the 2 extra hoselock fittings and piece of green hose are for? Why not connect the reel hose directly to the inlet and remove 2 potential leaks? 
It got all twisted and the microbore kinked stopping water flow.  I was told to use garden hose with the ties to stop this and it works.  However, get lots of leaks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you don’t need that bit of hose pipe you’ve added between your microbore and hose reel.
Connect your new clamber aqua stop to the inner spindle but before you do. Unscrew that male connector off spindle. Feed spindle from inside of hose reel. Then when it pokes through the outside of your hose reel put your new 90 degree elbow on the outside.
Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I don't really think the ptfe tape will help that much. That attachment works under compression when tightened up. Maybe try a new piece of hose if that green bit is old ? Also the hose looks of cheap quality. I have found Hozelock hose pipe is better quality

I have the same reel and connect my microbore directly on the inside, had no leaks on those parts in 2 years.

The swivel connector on the outside is a must have, without it you wear through o-rings on the hozelocks quickly.

Ok you don’t need that bit of hose pipe you’ve added between your microbore and hose reel.
Connect your new clamber aqua stop to the inner spindle but before you do. Unscrew that male connector off spindle. Feed spindle from inside of hose reel. Then when it pokes through the outside of your hose reel put your new 90 degree elbow on the outside.
Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Do you just undo the make connector on outside by hand?  

Where you see the hoselock male connector sticking out your reel, central spindle...

Screenshot_20171215-065416.png

...you need to slide out the spindle and insert it the other way round (hoselock on inside, threads on outside.)

On mine its inserted from inner part of reel, it has to because of the flange round one end. (See spindle pic.)

Then your brass elbow will fit to the outside, little bit of ptfe tape on the thread first.

I've just had to buy a new spindle (below) as I ruined my threads.

20171215_070650.png

I also use this (below) on the inner part and never had a problem. O-clip round hose too.

Screenshot_20171215-070827.jpg

Hope this helps.

And sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

?

I fitted the same brass elbow joint and the metal connector at the end of the hose when I started to get leaks on the reel. Even then the leak continued until I was recommended by Alex to buy a pack of Hozelock o-rings (about £4 from B&Q) and change the o-ring on the male connector. That made it all water tight again. 

You do realise PTFE tape needs to be on the inside of the fitting, not taped around the outside like a bad bandage?

Take all your fittings off, tightly wind at least 4 revolutions of tape around each screw thread then re screw on any attaching connectors. I had a drippy reel with the winter weather, bought three new brass male hozelocks and all leaked. Bound the tape underneath and it’s completely stopped. 

No disrespect if it ain't, But this has got to to be a wind up

I did voice the opinion once that I believed that trippy isn't a true to life person. For all the issues he has its impossible for all these things to happen to one person.  :1f603:

I still feel this is a keyboard warrior on the windup. Despite that I have replied to a few of his posts in the past.

If it is real then we have a replica of the sitcom Frank Spencer of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back