Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiners Backback - Charging

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jago

Any help gratefully received....

i bought a backpack about about a year ago as a back up.

Used maybe 20 times a year ago...

when I charge it - it the charger goes green from red after a short time....

does that mean it's fully charged? No it lasted a few hours today.

So on arrival home I put it on charge and the red light turned green on the charger after 2 hours...

is it now fully charged or shall I leave it on for a further length of time?

Falling back on this as my pump froze and needs a replacement part....

any experience gratefully received.... 

They hold their charge well, I would go with the charger led status and go with green meaning it charged and no further charging is required. 

I believe in the manufacturers instructions of most backpack it states that they’re not meant to be left un-used for long periods e.g more than 3 months. If you’ve left it for a year then......no matter if it gets to fully charged, its probably still knackered.
You can buy replacement batteries for most backpacks. Some models are much easier to fit batteries to than others. Some pop out and replace, some you have to solder in which isnt always convenient esp if you haven’t got a soldering kit to hand.
Replace the battery and your problems should be solved.
They do have a shelf life of roughly 2 years max, after that sort of time they will start to come towards the end of their time no matter what sort of use its had

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Any help gratefully received....

i bought a backpack about about a year ago as a back up.

Used maybe 20 times a year ago...

when I charge it - it the charger goes green from red after a short time....

does that mean it's fully charged? No it lasted a few hours today.

So on arrival home I put it on charge and the red light turned green on the charger after 2 hours...

is it now fully charged or shall I leave it on for a further length of time?

Falling back on this as my pump froze and needs a replacement part....

any experience gratefully received.... 

That's what happens to our backpack with the charger. I leave the backpack in the van and charge it in there. I go back periodically and check on it. When its fully charged I switch the charger off and take the plug out of the backpack. I don't leave it on overnight for example.

The lights on the side of voltage indicator should give you an idea of the state of charge of the battery when the pump is switched on.

My advise is to thaw the pump out (which I'm sure you have done) and once thawed, try it. My son's froze up the other week as he just doesn't care enough to think about this sort of thing. I ran the pump when its thawed and its fine. I've then drained the water out of it to stop any more scares. He isn't using his van atm for work as its easier to work off mine as he doesn't have to do anything.

I've read that on ocassion the water freezing inside the pump has shifted the diaphragm - loosening the screws of the pump housing and carefully repositioning the diaphragm has solved the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe in the manufacturers instructions of most backpack it states that they’re not meant to be left un-used for long periods e.g more than 3 months. If you’ve left it for a year then......no matter if it gets to fully charged, its probably still knackered.
You can buy replacement batteries for most backpacks. Some models are much easier to fit batteries to than others. Some pop out and replace, some you have to solder in which isnt always convenient esp if you haven’t got a soldering kit to hand.
They do have a shelf life of roughly 2 years max, after that sort of time they will start to come towards the end of their time no matter what sort of use its had

Thanks Incheck 

Good advice - yes I may need a new battery.

That's what happens to our backpack with the charger. I leave the backpack in the van and charge it in there. I go back periodically and check on it. When its fully charged I switch the charger off and take the plug out of the backpack. I don't leave it on overnight for example.

The lights on the side of voltage indicator should give you an idea of the state of charge of the battery when the pump is switched on.

My advise is to thaw the pump out (which I'm sure you have done) and once thawed, try it. My son's froze up the other week as he just doesn't care enough to think about this sort of thing. I ran the pump when its thawed and its fine. I've then drained the water out of it to stop any more scares. He isn't using his van atm for work as its easier to work off mine as he doesn't have to do anything.

I've read that on ocassion the water freezing inside the pump has shifted the diaphragm - loosening the screws of the pump housing and carefully repositioning the diaphragm has solved the problem.
Thank you Spruce 

Today I had it running for about 2 hours on 1 job on and off and then got to my 2nd job which takes about 4 hours nonstop.

Fortunatley they have a lovely barn conversion just for the gardeners rest time with facilities and electricity.

So I was able to charge it up again for 15 mins while did a bit of trad.

Off it went again for another couple of hours.

The lights on the voltage indicator are

fully lit around to the green so I've switched it off ( and the humming noise!)

Hopefully it will last for tomorrow -

i don't do Saturday's as a rule but so behind...

What you said about the diaphragm freezing is what happened to my flojet pump in the van and shifted a screw and snapped the housing - 

the he back pack seems fine though 

many thanks 

We are Backpack only and 2 of the 4 we have are 2 and a half years old and still going

Back