Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HI Guys, Looking for advise

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wcs

Hi Guys, So I've recently found out that the shop I manage is being closed in 4 weeks time!  

I previously sold my smallish round when I was asked to run this shop, So have 10 years experience in the game but with traditional cleaning methods.

Basically I'm looking for any advise from you guys on everything, from what's the best pole to use, System, Van. Van Size. you get the picture.

Look forward you hearing your opinions and thanks for any help in advance.

Dean

you've come to the right place. use the search and you'll find all the info you could possibly need. good luck.

I would set out trad until you have a gauge within your local area of the potential work you could gain, But only you know your own personal circumstances and whether you want to take a big financial plunge early on, I agree with @Part Timer and also that all that all the bells and whistles wont bring the work flooding in either . 

Just get out their knocking doors and to get a true gauge of a potential client base, Best of luck 

Thanks guys. Like I said I've done it trad before and know the work is out there you just have to go get it!!

But last time I didn't look very professional and want to try to get some more commercial work also. I've got 15k redundancy to play with and also a Audi to trade in.

What I didn't want to do was end up buying a van to small or a pole that's to heavy!! Hot / Cold system. Obviously I'm going to do a lot of research on these first but it's always nice to here people's opinions.

(I'm still relatively young and fit and this time round I'm more enthusiastic about the new start)

Regards vans something Trafic or transit size.  That way you're never out of room for growth. No need for brand new even a 10 year old with good history and no rot can look sharp and last you another 5 years. 

Regards poles Gardiners Extremes are highly sought after but expensive.  As a first pole I would suggest a 25 ft SLX.  These are also highly regarded and less than half the price. 

Systems range from several hundred to several thousand.  All it really is is a water tank, filtration, pump controller and hose.  Mine is a 500l system and cost around 2.5k all in from The Cleaning Warehouse. 

This time of year you can usually find a van on flea bay fully decked out going for a song if you browse hard enough.  

I have a 2014 Renault traffic with only 35k with a full ro/di 650 litre system for sale early in the new year if its of any interest let me know??

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

If you are serious and in this for the long haul and wanting to build  a good business . Then the first and best bit of advice is forget trad . I started 35 years ago , so I had no choice but to start trad . but any new starters do have that choice . 

If you are serious and in this for the long haul and wanting to build  a good business . Then the first and best bit of advice is forget trad . I started 35 years ago , so I had no choice but to start trad . but any new starters do have that choice . 

yeah been asking a few guys i know locally and they said they would never go back!!

No need to start trad.

It seems to be some strange right of passage that you must start trad. Maybe it's because these guys have risked their lives for years on ladders and had to endure working slower that they feel any noob must go through it.

Forget trad, it's old news, a thing of the past. Start water fed pole, there's no reason not to.

There is a lot that don't and can't use trad tools.I have no idea how they clean insides?

Different tools for the job wfp is by far quicker, easier and the safest method.But different methods will give you an advantage over the others.

A lot of people just dont clean insides full stop. Theres cream carpets, netted curtains, furniture in the way, clutter on window sills, blinds, the heating is on full, if you show up on a sopping wet day you’ll need separate trousers and slippers. You sure could profit from doing insides but from my experiences it’s a headache and packed it in long ago. I do for one or two existing customers who are clued up on things but don’t take that work on like

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I will definitely be offering trad, but at a 20% price increase over wfp.  My previous round I had a lot of elderly that lived in bungalows, they would have never had wfp method.

I will definitely be offering trad, but at a 20% price increase over wfp.  My previous round I had a lot of elderly that lived in bungalows, they would have never had wfp method.
You’ll be surpised, if all you can get is wfp they soon run out of options. It’s not cost efficient, takes double if not treble the time of wfp i reckon, so you would need to charge treble to make it worthwhile. People are starting to clock on that the old wives tales are a load of nonsense, e.g. rain makes windows dirty, trad gives a better finish etc. A lot of it’s simply down to the fact they wanna see you working longer and harder for money i reckon. Gotta keep up with the times

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

You’ll be surpised, if all you can get is wfp they soon run out of options. It’s not cost efficient, takes double if not treble the time of wfp i reckon, so you would need to charge treble to make it worthwhile. People are starting to clock on that the old wives tales are a load of nonsense, e.g. rain makes windows dirty, trad gives a better finish etc. A lot of it’s simply down to the fact they wanna see you working longer and harder for money i reckon. Gotta keep up with the times

in my experience wfp takes 1/2 of the time as trad on houses, bungalows are just as quick and less hassle trad tho grab your tools and go, no reels to unwind, and no snagging

in my experience wfp takes 1/2 of the time as trad on houses, bungalows are just as quick and less hassle trad tho grab your tools and go, no reels to unwind, and no snagging
Yeah true, if its a standard bungalow, round by us they are usually humungous, roof lights, skylights, connys, the bungalows on hills where one side of it is considerably higher than the other. If they’re the little council type bungalows then yeah you could trad them all day long as it doesn’t justify getting the hoses out

Back