Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Am I In The Wrong With This Customer?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hello WCF! 

Been lurking for a while but decided to sign up and get some advice on a new customer. 

Couple of weeks ago this woman texted looking for a quote, she got my number off of a Facebook post somewhere (have never found it). Did her windows this week along with about others in the street (did some canvassing). She had never mentioned she had a lock on the back gate and thus I couldn't get in (no one at home). So I did the front and put my card in her door, with the intention to contact her later. She calls me up and starts having a go at me for putting my card through for £7 payment when I only did the front. I explained I had already written the price on the card and put it through to let her know I had been. I also explained that I couldn't access her back garden because of the lock and I don't have ladders to jump the fence (not that I would, anyway). As she had been the reason I came into the street and picked up other work I decided to let this one slide and arranged to go back out the next day to do the backs, which she agreed to.

Guess what! Here's is the text conversation with her:

IMG_9779.jpgIMG_9780.jpg

I left it with the last text but not sure what to do. I am torn between just doing them as I'm worried she'll badmouth me and leave a negative review online. I'm a new business and don't want that. However, I also can't be bothered being treated like junk and would rather just (politely) tell her I'm not doing them again. 

What do you all think, am I in the wrong here or her? Window cleaning friends of mine seem to be torn. Some agree with me, some don't. 

Thanks, Alexandros. 

Rule 1 in this game don't let anyone take the p###

You went twice and she didn't cooperate

Take the half payment from her and don't go back or even think about it

If she ever badmouths you just point out you have a copy of the conversation for all to see should she wish you to make her look an idiot

Last edited by a moderator:
Need skin like a rhino on times, I think id just walk away and do my best not to think about it.  Done nothing wrong and pointless wasting breath over it and not the sort of customer needed going forward. Bin and canvas.

If she can't be arsed to unlock her gate dump her. You can't be wasting time and fuel on these idiots. Oh and I hate Facebook for this very reason, full of chavs wanting cheap cheap cheap. I bet the back garden is full of dog plop too!

Rule 1 in this game don't let anyone take the p###

You went twice and she didn't cooperate

Take the half payment from her and don't go back or even think about it

If she ever badmouths you just point out you have a copy of the conversation for all to see should she wish to to make her look an idiot

Need skin like a rhino on times, I think id just walk away and do my best not to think about it.  Done nothing wrong and pointless wasting breath over it and not the sort of customer needed going forward. Bin and canvas.

If she can't be arsed to unlock her gate dump her. You can't be wasting time and fuel on these idiots. Oh and I hate Facebook for this very reason, full of chavs wanting cheap cheap cheap. I bet the back garden is full of dog plop too!

Thanks guys. I think I am just going to drop her. Not worried about collecting the money. I'll collect the rest of the street tomorrow and text her when I get home. Thanks for advice!

Edit: Actually, I may wait until I've canvassed the street again and drop her. Just incase she bad mouths me to neighbours. 

Thanks guys. I think I am just going to drop her. Not worried about collecting the money. I'll collect the rest of the street tomorrow and text her when I get home. Thanks for advice!

Edit: Actually, I may wait until I've canvassed the street again and drop her. Just incase she bad mouths me to neighbours. 
get paid tell her she doesnt fit your requirements for a custy and move on, if shes like that the whole street will know it so youll be fine.

also if youve informed them your coming, and its locked up, 1st time charge half, warn that next time itll be full price regardless, and stick to it

If you text her the night before and shes not left the gate open then you are within your right to charge full price. You drove to do a service but they failed you. Get terms and conditions written up and any customer who fails to leave the gate open gets charged at full price.

Some cleaners text everyone on sunday,then text everyone on the night before.

Bin and move on. Plenty more

Collect ur money and bin them , don’t worry about it plenty of nice customers around this creature obviously not one of em

Just a scum bag who has no respect for you, if she was a decent person she would have apologised for your wasted time, paid the full amount and made sure she left the gate open in future.

You don't need bad eggs on your round, they just get you down.

Personally I charge half if they haven't unlocked the gate, it's annoying but I'll let it slide once or twice, they might genuinely have forgot sometimes but of anyone makes a habit of it then they are gone.

Just a scum bag who has no respect for you, if she was a decent person she would have apologised for your wasted time, paid the full amount and made sure she left the gate open in future.

You don't need bad eggs on your round, they just get you down.

Personally I charge half if they haven't unlocked the gate, it's annoying but I'll let it slide once or twice, they might genuinely have forgot sometimes but of anyone makes a habit of it then they are gone.

I'm gonna do this in future, actually, though not with her. Others have suggested collecting the money but I don't even care for it. I'll text her probably tomorrow to let her know I won't be back and the clean was on me!  :1f602:

By the sound of things you'll probably find that her neighbours know exactly what she's like and won't take any notice of her bad-mouthing. Sounds like she's one of these people who would find reason for complaint even if you cleaned their windows for free!

Nowt wrong with fb from my perspective I don't do the selling pages. But I get plenty of referrals from existing clients and new enquiries are typically on new build estates and 3-4 bed detached houses

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Personally I avoid Facebook. Others do well from it.

try and avoid houses with locked gates.

You’ll encounter plenty of nutters in this game.

good luck!

Back