Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stubbon Yellow Blobs / Splats

Viggers

As the title says, when will a brush be developed to get rid of these yellow splats / blobs, people say its bee pollen, I have in my arsenal everybrush known to man, a gardiner super scraper etc etc. Nothing moves these things. People say the super scraper does, they probably do but you just cant see them of first / second floor windows. as the water doesn't bobble round they like it does when bird poo is on the glass.  I have cleaned an office many times on a regular monthly basis, and when I go inside I am humiliated to see at least a dozen sometimes more in the summer of these marks.  It very embarrassing, the glass and frames are clean but it looks ridiculous. When will the manufacturers of these brushes develop a brush to remove such marks. They easily come off with the finger nail but not a brush. Once somebody does develop one I think they will retire to a hot place and put their feet up for the remainder of their days.

I agree. When some people say they use soft brushes on the forums I'm thinking to myself how much dirt and stuff are they leaving behind? I've got a boar's hair brush from Tecbuck, it scrubs well but doesn't glide over the glass, for that reason I never use it.

I have 2 tecbuk brushes, most if not all of the gardiner range and most if not all of the xline range. Nothing removes these marks. I have tried no nonsense, and squirted ecover on the brush head still there waving at me when I do the insides.

I think this is where hot systems come in to play, wash your dishes with cold water & see how many blobs you’re left behind with. Personally i wouldn’t feel comfortable with a hot system as i’m wary about the possibility of cracking glass in colder weather from the sudden temperature change. Also may just dry too quick in summer and streak? fingernail or bird poo scrapers always get the job done for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I use an old gardnier pole with a plastic scraper, i then put some of the white non scratch pads over the scraper, i even spray the pad up with a bit of ubik but they are really stubborn and once wet very hard too see. I remember cleaning a conservatory inside and out this road in particular is renowned for the yellow marks so when i wfp the outside i made sure i got off the yellow marks. Came to do the inside and felt emabarassed how bad they still were. They left a mark still even tho i removed them. But your right would love to see a brush that removes these as there a right pain. 

My mate has a hot water system from aquafactors, and this still doesn't touch the blobs, and he has the water red hot. So please alex gardiner or xline or whoever else makes brushes please get back to the drawing board

My mate has a hot water system from aquafactors, and this still doesn't touch the blobs, and he has the water red hot. So please alex gardiner or xline or whoever else makes brushes please get back to the drawing board

They all rave about hot on the other forum, so what your mate says is interesting as I use cold but was thinking about hot. Cost has put me off until now! I like @GSS Window Cleaning use a super scraper with a pad, it helps, but sometimes muck doesn't come off as quick as you'd like. I've cleaned my own windows and 'missed' bits where I thought I'd done a good job until I looked outside from within. WFP is adequate but not as good as trad in some cases. 

hot water is the only way unless u trad but the water needs to be hot and u have to hold the jet on the blob to soften it then scrub most come off strate away but if there baked on like 3 months ect your in sxxxxxhit street ,i ges it goes back to the old trad debate  trad is king in this case  the super scraper is good but is hard work 

I do three houses opposite a massive allotment amd no matter the time of yrar they are caked in these insect deposits.  

Hot water DOES remove it just fine but it takes a good scrubbing.  

If you want to do it easily with cold wet the window....... dip your brush (or spray your brush) with strong Ubik 2000 mix..... count to 10 then clean as normal.   Ubik melts this stuff. 

As does bog standard bleach mixed with water

Spray a little on the brush and watch bee spots etc just dissolve before turning the water back on

Thanks for the replies.  I just find it amazing how a brush whatever the make or whether its soft, super soft, tough bristles, regular bristles. it wont touch these blobs. Hopefully somebody will read this post and develop a brush with such a bristle that it removes these marks no problem. Even if we only have to use the brush only for first cleans or on houses where the problem is rife. 

i tryed ubik allmost neat and virosol but it never shifted it ive not tryed bleach tho !! ill try this on a conny roof i clean  p,s viggers i used soft mediem flocked ect ect but the best ive found so far is the gardner stiff ultmate with hot water 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think a tougher brush is the answer lads, make it course enough and would probably scratch glass. Hot water/chemicals or trad.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I think these yellow marks come from a specific tree. It irritates the life out of me how you can scrub like mad and the brush doesn't touch it yet the lightest touch with a finger nails removes it instantly!!  

They all rave about hot on the other forum, so what your mate says is interesting as I use cold but was thinking about hot. Cost has put me off until now! I like @GSS Window Cleaning use a super scraper with a pad, it helps, but sometimes muck doesn't come off as quick as you'd like. I've cleaned my own windows and 'missed' bits where I thought I'd done a good job until I looked outside from within. WFP is adequate but not as good as trad in some cases. 

Hot hot water will remove it but you cannot just squirt water at it you have to scrub as well if it’s been on the glass and baked on it’s harder to remove but it will come off ok I have had hot for the last 3 years and it does make a big difference to this type of thing , but it’s not cheap to buy or run but in my opinion I wouldn’t go back to cold use hot all year round now 

For the odd marks, I turn the brush on it's side and use the plastic stock to gently rub them off. 

You can get quite quick, once you get used to it.

Hi Robbo, yes I have done this before but now got the gardiner super scraper. Its fine if you can see a blemish/mark to rub off but unfortunately these yellow blobs/splats are flush on the glass so from down below it looks like you have done a great job with the water sheeting down no problems. Until you go to do the insides and are comfronted with the mess that's before your eyes please Alex Gardiner make us a brush that will remove these marks.

Hi Robbo, yes I have done this before but now got the gardiner super scraper. Its fine if you can see a blemish/mark to rub off but unfortunately these yellow blobs/splats are flush on the glass so from down below it looks like you have done a great job with the water sheeting down no problems. Until you go to do the insides and are comfronted with the mess that's before your eyes please Alex Gardiner make us a brush that will remove these marks.
Totally agree and even when removed if you look from the inside theres still a mark left behind. I think its wasp or bee poo and allways worse on gable end windows. Like i say i keep a spare pole in the van now with a plastic scraper attached covered in a non scratch white pad spray the pad with ubik at the end of the day i feel it's the best i can do. Some roads have no staining others have 10-20 on certain windows can be frustrating but if you have a good look at the window before you wet it as if you wet it you won't know where it is. For me I've only had this problem last 2 years unless its allways been there and ive only just noticed. But for me certain roads have loads or even certain houses so its defiantly from insects. 

cheers Kev sounds good , there a big problim in areas of my round i waste a lot of time and water geting the things off i find in winter they come off easer but in the heat of summer there stuck solid like glue

Like tench said, they seem to lose power from October onwards they just seem to crumble off, but in the summer these bad boys are not going anywhere. I will try a bit of bleach mixed with water in a spraygun and put onto my brush. But wont this affect the brush or will the pure water eventually make the brush clean again after a few windows, or do I just have a separate brush for bleaching jobs.

Back