Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water heater and cutting out after 20 mins

Brian7

If i go heated water do i need to use different hoses to cope with the heat.Also what heater do you recomend?do they cut out after 20mins?

I am planning to use a digital controller and then a tap on my belt for a little bit more control that a just plug the brush hose into.

Tthanks for any help,planning to set a system up in the new year..

If i go heated water do i need to use different hoses to cope with the heat.Also what heater do you recomend?do they cut out after 20mins?

I am planning to use a digital controller and then a tap on my belt for a little bit more control that a just plug the brush hose into.

Tthanks for any help,planning to set a system up in the new year..
Some heaters cut out after 20 minutes continuous use. So turn your tap off when you collapse your pole and should be ok.

I use anti torsion hose from the heater to the reel as this takes the anitial burst of heat. I have standard microbore on the reels.

Jubilee clip every join as hot water makes the hoses softer and more prone to pop off

Some heaters cut out after 20 minutes continuous use. So turn your tap off when you collapse your pole and should be ok.

I use anti torsion hose from the heater to the reel as this takes the anitial burst of heat. I have standard microbore on the reels.

Jubilee clip every join as hot water makes the hoses softer and more prone to pop off

I'm sure its CE regulations that they must cut off after 20 minutes. Its for safety.

I can't believe anyone can work solidly for 20 minutes cleaning windows without stopping and turning the water flow off, even if it doing commercial.

I'm sure its CE regulations that they must cut off after 20 minutes. Its for safety.

I can't believe anyone can work solidly for 20 minutes cleaning windows without stopping and turning the water flow off, even if it doing commercial.
Agree. That’s why I mentioned turning off the water with his tap so the heater isn’t running for twenty continuous minutes 

If i had a tap on the pipe before pole ,would this be okay...?as i plan to use it to controll flow ..
It would but I personally think there cumbersome awkward things to use compared to the univalve.

Yes you can control the flow with a tap, but I wouldn’t change a univalve for that benefit personally 

If i had a tap on the pipe before pole ,would this be okay...?as i plan to use it to controll flow ..

If you are going to use a tap with a gas boiler then my advise is 'don't'. You need the flow to ignite the boiler and keep it lit. So if your tap is fully on and fully off then that will be ok. Anything inbetween is going to mess with the boiler.

So as @steve garwoodsays, a Univalve with the right hose is best as its either on or off.

so would a one shot system be better? 
I also have a one shot as well as univalves. Both work fine. 

As @spruce mentioned, it’s about the flow with these heaters. I normally have my flow on 55 working with cold, but turn it up to 65 when using hot to make sure it ignites 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn’t aware of this Nudel - is it an easy MOD? I’m currently experimenting with a 6l and - from what I can gather - it turns off after 20 minutes

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I just know this because a friend of mine bought a heater like this from a window cleaners shop, and it stopped every 20 minutes because they forgot to modify it. He had to send it back and supposedly they added something or changed a part of it to bypass the timer.

Don't know how easy it is. I'd guess there could be a 555 timer in there somewhere, and then it would just be a matter of desoldering a resistor and soldering in one with the correct resistance. Hypothetical of course, as it could be controlled with some sort of micro controller, and then it would be more difficult.

I just know this because a friend of mine bought a heater like this from a window cleaners shop, and it stopped every 20 minutes because they forgot to modify it. He had to send it back and supposedly they added something or changed a part of it to bypass the timer.

Don't know how easy it is. I'd guess there could be a 555 timer in there somewhere, and then it would just be a matter of desoldering a resistor and soldering in one with the correct resistance. Hypothetical of course, as it could be controlled with some sort of micro controller, and then it would be more difficult.
Something else to take to bits once I’ve done my testing then! First day out with it tomorrow in its first configuration so we will see if it’s going to be a better option than the Webasto.
Cheers Nudel

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I'm sorry guys, but these heaters have a 20 minute timer for safety reasons. Its to assist to protect you, those around you and your equipment. So I just don't understand why you would want to remove this protection?

If your gas heater did destruct and cause a fire or loss to your equipment and damage to other's property as well, would your insurance pay out if an investigation revealed you had tampered with the heater's safety mechanism? 

There was a photo on one of the forums about the destruction a gas barbecue did to someones van a little while back.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2017-04-28/man-injured-after-gas-cylinder-explosion-rips-van-apart/

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d be very surprised if an insurance company paid out if they saw one of these outdoor/portable water heaters installed in a van anyway Spruce. And as far as I’m aware, not all these heaters have the 20minute cut off? I specifically brought a CE marked heater for the specific reason it was ISO approved and had a safety cut out. My question for the Mod is not for Window cleaning (I’m investigating the option of a caravan/boat specific propane heater/boiler that will be approved for vehicle use so don’t have to worry about things going wrong and insurance) it’s for an off grid project I’m doing where I would like to rig the heater up to a radiator to see if would be a viable and cheap back up option for a wood burner. I’m quite happy and knowledgeable enough to tinker with electrics down to component level - but steer clear of anything gas related as, for some reason, it scares the cr&p out of me. Luckily my mates a gas engineer so had my setup ticked off by him.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I’d be very surprised if an insurance company paid out if they saw one of these outdoor/portable water heaters installed in a van anyway Spruce. And as far as I’m aware, not all these heaters have the 20minute cut off? I specifically brought a CE marked heater for the specific reason it was ISO approved and had a safety cut out. My question for the Mod is not for Window cleaning (I’m investigating the option of a caravan/boat specific propane heater/boiler that will be approved for vehicle use so don’t have to worry about things going wrong and insurance) it’s for an off grid project I’m doing where I would like to rig the heater up to a radiator to see if would be a viable and cheap back up option for a wood burner. I’m quite happy and knowledgeable enough to tinker with electrics down to component level - but steer clear of anything gas related as, for some reason, it scares the cr&p out of me. Luckily my mates a gas engineer so had my setup ticked off by him.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I stand to be corrected here but I seem to remember a windie importing a gas heater from the States that didn't have a 20 minute cutout timer. So it indicated to me at the time that this CE regulation isn't a requirement stateside.

I personally don't see a problem with LPG heaters fixed inside a van as long as they have a proper exhaust vent to the outside. Catering vans use them. But the issue I have is the gas cylinder. If the camper van regulations are followed then that gas bottle needs to be in an enclosed sealer locker vented to the outside through the floor.

Hence the reason why I suggest those proper refillable LPG tanks - but they are expensive.

How do you bypass the timer I need continuous
Theses heaters are not safe to be used continuously especially mounted in a van many have exploded and or caught fire they are designed to run for maximum of 20 muinits for a shower not all day cleaning windows , it’s also illegal to drive with then running and to have the gas supply turned on whilst driving . I think if you are honest with your insurance company about all of this as well they will not insure you . Be very careful, if you want hot water try looking at immersion heater or diesel Wabasto setups .

Back