Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Faulty pump making rattling noise (video)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BigFoot

I've attached a video of my pump in action, it is putting out water but making terrible noise with less pressure. I've had a look at the pressure switch taken it apart and adjusted it at the top with no noticeable change. 

Bit apprehensive to open up the main body of the pump but looks like I have nothing to lose as I can't work with it as it is. May need to buy another but would prefer to fix it if possible as I like to learn how to maintain my tools.

what do you thinks wrong with it and what can I do to sort it out. Cheers!

View attachment 12357

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t open the video but if it’s a shurflo pump the head comes apart easily. I’ve done mine a few times as - no idea how - I’ve had debris get stuck and that has the same symptoms, rattling and no real pressure. The only issue I’ve had when reassembling is water leased from the casing but I just smeared Vaseline around the edges when I took it to bits again and made sure the ‘gasket/diaphragm’ seared correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I can’t open the video but if it’s a shurflo pump the head comes apart easily. I’ve done mine a few times as - no idea how - I’ve had debris get stuck and that has the same symptoms, rattling and no real pressure. The only issue I’ve had when reassembling is water leased from the casing but I just smeared Vaseline around the edges when I took it to bits again and made sure the ‘gasket/diaphragm’ seared correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Cheers for the input I think I’ll open it up and have a look, think I’ll load the video onto YouTube and  copy it into the post

I'm going in where angels fear to tread @BigFoot. :1f603:

This will be trial and error.

The first thing you need to do is ensure you have a good flow of water to the pump and a good flow out from the pump. I didn't see an inlet filter but if you do have one, then you need to check the filter. If the pump is sucking air then cavitation inside the diaphragm housing can cause a noise. Is it similar to this? I don't know. The noise can resonate by the area its mounted to.

Try tightening the 6 screws holding the pump diaphragm housing to the motor body. Then run the pump and see if holding it in your hands does anything to stop the noise. If it does then the mounting screws/bolts need tightening up a bit.

If the water in the tank is very cold (near freezing) then this could also exacerbate the noise.

Its difficult to hear what the problem is but if those checks don't help then my advice is to buy another pump.

If the problem is internal then it could be a faulty bearing. It could also be a commutator segment on the armature thats lifted and the noise is the brush knocking on the raised segment. This would make the motor uneconomical to repair as would a seized bearing.

If you do have to replace the motor, please buy one from a recognised supplier such as Daqua. You will know the pump is genuine and not a Chinese copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

the flow of water to the pump seams uninhibited I have a small filter attached to my inlet pipe much like the ones often found inside backpacks . I’ll cheack the screws you mentioned  and tighten if required and follow what you outlined, Failing that it may well be a new pump, hope I can sort it as a Christmas cleaned me out, lol, oh well tools out wallet ready!

After fiddling with all the connections looking at the inlet filter manhandeling it undoing and reconnecting fittings taking pressure switch apart Re connecting it, loosening and relighting the six screws on the top of the pump the system is now working as it should but truth be told I’m not sure what of the above addressed the problem, Greatfull but still confused!

Back