Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public Liability Insurance

windymillers

My leaflets will be delivered on Monday and I will start to post them.

I think it would be a good idea to get Public Liability Insurance if I get some work in in case I damage

the home owners property.

In your experience is it necessary?

If so are the any window cleaning friendly companies you recommend that provide cover?

Or is it just a matter of looking on a comparison site?

The vast majority of insurers won't cover damage to property or item been cleaned hence most PL insurance is cheap.

If you are just window cleaning then contact A Plan insurance brokers.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The vast majority of insurers won't cover damage to property or item been cleaned hence most PL insurance is cheap.

If you are just window cleaning then contact A Plan insurance brokers.

Is that right? I did want cover in case I damaged the customers property or car with my ladder.

I will also be grass cutting in the spring until I get my window cleaning round established.

I have had motor insurance with A Plan since the 90's, I can get business motor insurance elsewhere going direct for a lot less so may change soon.

Is that right? I did want cover in case I damaged the customers property or car with my ladder.
I will also be grass cutting in the spring until I get my window cleaning round established.

I have had motor insurance with A Plan since the 90's, I can get business motor insurance elsewhere going direct for a lot less so may change soon.
If you're ladder is left unattended and it ends up on a client's car then you are covered. But if you damage a window whilst cleaning it you ain't.

If you are doing grass cutting as well as window cleaning you might need 2 separate policies.

Gleaming cost for me as a sole trader is £184 per annum.

On a comparison site Corea insurance was £69.

From reading the cover notes both did seem to include damage to property which would include windows. Maybe I misunderstood.

Using bleach products or heat were not covered but I wont be doing either.

1: The law says you HAVE to have public liability. 

2: I went throught this same question (item being worked on) years ago with several insurers and only one of them covered the item being worked on and that was Gleaming.  Been with them ever since. 

Gleaming all the way for me. I spent hours researching policies when I started and gleaming covers just about everything (underwritten by hiscox insurance). I know 69 quid is tempting over 180 or whatever gleaming is but for peace of mind it's worth it.! Chuck it on monthly like I have its 15 something a month so one house clean really. good value for me

Gleaming seems to be the one to go for if you're looking for a comprehensive cover. If you're happy to pay out of your own pocket to fix a window or make new a scratched piece of glass then go for cheaper insurance. Although it all comes off your tax bill at the end of the day so why not pay more if you can.

Thanks for the replies, you are right of course to go for the best cover.

I wont be anywhere near the tax thresh hold this year though :)

I have only had 2 jobs this week.

I have e-mailed Gleaming and asked if there is a cover for sole traders just starting out, I will not have other people working for me or be holding any keys or use any chemicals besides dilute washing up liquid.

Kind of looks more professional, on the other hand if you advertise you have it may entice people to go oooo i can pull a fast one here. you never know if they will pay out when the time comes though. They all have so many clauses and so much small print so never assume your eggs are in the basket. First & foremost be careful! & watch out for claim culture customers. We had one in the early days. Cleaned all windows wfp nothing else used. Claimed it had scratched all the windows & wanted our insurance details. All obviously scratched already. Should have seen her house as well, everything whitewashed and nicely decorated, fancy carpets, had it all already living a higher quality of life than we could ever dream of yet still looking for a free buck. Have a good look at them and point out any noticeable scratches or chips when first taking them on maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Thanks for the replies, you are right of course to go for the best cover.

I wont be anywhere near the tax thresh hold this year though :)

I have only had 2 jobs this week.

I have e-mailed Gleaming and asked if there is a cover for sole traders just starting out, I will not have other people working for me or be holding any keys or use any chemicals besides dilute washing up liquid.
What reply did you get, mate?

Looking for alternatives myself...

I’m with higos(underwritten by hiscox) at £14/month for £5 million public liability. In the middle of employing and got a quote from the same company for £5million public liability for two people plus employers liability and that came in at just under £450 for the year.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

What’s the point of insurance if your not covered properly!

I’ve had to claim once when a lad caused 4K worth of damage cleaning, replaced the next day!!!

Get proper cover some of you guys that bill would cripple if you didn’t have the right cover we did so it cost me £250 excess

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock