Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

single windys what anti slip measures are you using

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slipknot

Hey guys so after asking a few questions on here decided to just do it by myself but that means losing the aid of a footer so for any of you single tradders what options are you using to stop slipping and such im thinking of some sort of heavy rubber matt

Hey guys so after asking a few questions on here decided to just do it by myself but that means losing the aid of a footer so for any of you single tradders what options are you using to stop slipping and such im thinking of some sort of heavy rubber matt
Personally I have invested in a diy  trolley and wfp for 1st floor and above. About £600 total investment. I have a couple of jobs where I still use a ladder, the pitches are on grass and I use 2 large screwdrivers behind the feet of ladder.

One of my jobs is a large country detached with 2 old feature wooden arched windows. If I use wfp the water runs down inside so there is still a place for safe use of ladders for me.

i have a diy built wfp trolly but convincing customers are a nightmare i have used it on a fair few but others seem unconvinced. i was considering hiring a second guy to help but the profit margin overall isen't enough if truth be told. so looking for an anti slip device a bit like the ladder m8rix  

i have a diy built wfp trolly but convincing customers are a nightmare i have used it on a fair few but others seem unconvinced. i was considering hiring a second guy to help but the profit margin overall isen't enough if truth be told. so looking for an anti slip device a bit like the ladder m8rix  
Fair enough there are experienced  trad guys on here that use ladders a lot and will probably soon be advising on best and safest methods.

What I would say is don't let customers dictate your method. If you feel a job is quicker or safer wfp On upper windows  then that's your choice not theirs!

Hiring someone predominately to foot the ladder wouldn't be viable imo.

You could tell them that your insurance won't cover you for ladders if any question your methods. 

I am 95% wfp but like most I still use a ladder to access gutters for repairs and also go over some flat garage roofs to access certain properties.
I have Abru commercial ladders that I mainly use in single
sections and on the bottom of both ladders I’ve taken off the rubber ends and fitted spikes. I had them made at an ironmongers for £15. They will measure and cut the metal, then I used the self drilling metal cladding screws to get a very tight fit.
I’ve used them in my ladder for over 6/7 years now (never failed me) although when I was traditional I would change them after 3/4 yrs and you can use a grinder to keep a nice tip on them.

Saved me from a nasty fall years ago. The tips fit in between brick joints, paving slabs, tarmac drives and sink straight into grass and mud and hold firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

You won’t go far wrong with the m8trix - wouldn’t be without mine now. Personally I’m reluctant to use spikes - my fibreglass youngman ladders have them on the swivel feet - they aren’t too kind on tarmac drives or printed concrete. I’ve left marks before and have a few customers that would notice the odd dent or scratch!!

I would say learn to use a trad pole with a fliq pad and liquidator.  I'm trying to spend as less time as i can up a ladder.  Combine with wfp, a good ladder anti slip device, and making use of heavy plant pots in gardens to back it up on anything slippy.  I also also check the ladder by pushing down on it on any surface that looks suspect.  And finally i would just add 'just say no'.  If it's too risky, or you're not comfortable to do it just tell the customer you can't.  I've done that a few times when i was 100% trad if it was frosty or too slippy and everyone has been fine.  Stay safe; your life depends on it!

Had someone make me a ladder stop , its basically two blocks of wood against each other . If you look at it from the side its like an L shape . Through the bottom are some very long bolt screws and there quite thick . I use this as a spike and push it into the lawn or soil thru gravel after scraping the gravel away with my foot , ( always put stuff back how you found it as well ) .Along the top is a rope handle for pulling it out of the ground.

Its brilliant wouldn't do without it.

Its no good on a hard surface though obviously so its find the heavy plant pot time for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
On slippy patios use a rag under both feet works a treat and for decking in less the slats run the right way use a metal paint scraper between decking boards quick and easy

I have a ladder m8rix look it up on you gube does me on ice slippy decking all sorts u can pick up a 2nd hand one for about 40 squid best investment ever

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I rarely use a ladder except for the odd gutter job (Vac man)....if I do use ladder its my decisions and mine only...I wont be pressurised. I use a sandbag made of hessian as an extra man to stop ladder slip. Cost about £6-7 from Travis Perkins.

Ladder footies are quite good. Perfect for decking. 

If there is s little moss or algae on stone. I will sprinkle a little soapy water on it, then scuff it off with my boots. Works most of the time.

Beyond that. Trad extention poles.

Back