Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

It Cost Me Nearly £300 To Fill My Fuel Tank Today

Bad crack, I have only done it once with a older motor but thankfully realised after only putting in a few quid.

Took it straight to a local garage and they just charged me £60 to drain fuel tank along with putting me £30 of diesel in.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

i thought nowadays only the right nozzle will go in,  never tried it though,   looks like that is a myth,  deepest sympathy on your loss, £££££££

Sorry to hear that, mate!

Though correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get away with putting unleaded in as long as it's not too much and you full the rest with diesel? Older gentleman I know claimed they used to do it deliberately on the farm to stop the lines freezing. Though he does claim a lot of things...   

It can also depend how old the vehicle is as much newer motors are a lot easier to damage with the wrong fuel.

22 quid of unleaded would cause no harm if you brimmed the tank with diesel after

Would just take some of the carbon deposits off and clean the engine a bit

That is why wagon drivers used to do it

I wouldn't be confident on topping up with diesel on a new motor. Just wouldn't risk it but I've done it on older cars before. 

You can run a 10% petrol mix in a diesel safely, to start off it sits on top of the diesel, then slowly dissipates through over time. Did it o my car with £10, brimmed tank, kept re filling with diesel every time got to 3/4, after month or so petrols dissipated through fuel and carry on a usual. Found this out through a mechanic mate.

I did it the other day. £7 of petrol. Then just drowned it in diesel. Got away with it.

When we had the old van and I cared less I risked it after £20 of petrol. Did the same and got away with it. Just drowned it in diesel and keep topping it up when I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I did this last year and did not realise for a good 45 minutes when things got a little juttery and smokey. Day of work lost and the embarrassment of sitting on customers drive for several hours.

Back