Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What time do you keep your work phone on until

It’s permanently on, if you can seize the opportunity to get something done there & then why not? It could be pricing or enquiries which you dont have time to tend to during the day unless you’re an office bod with people working for you. If i dont feel like answering it or need a break i just stick it on silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I tend to get more enquiries via email than phone calls, I won't answer phone after 7pm but will respond to emails instantly. I prefer emails as then it's easier to just send them the link to sign up for GoCardless [emoji3]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Great thing about running your own business? It's your business! Do what the hell you want!

Mine stays on but on silent in the day as that is when I usually sleep (I work a full time 48 hour per week night job as well as just starting up window cleaning). Yes I miss calls but people leave messages if you have a nice voicemail message. If I get it late then I usually drop a text saying that I have gotten their call and haven't forgotten about them but I feel it's too late to call now and I will call the following day.

People like communication. Just be happy being your own boss. That's what I say anyway!

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thank-you for the replies, it is good to hear different opinions.

I even took my mobile in the shower with me, lucky I did as I got a job from it :)

Regarding having an answerphone message, I have the one that comes with the phone.

It is short and to the point. "Please leave a message".

I was thinking of changing it to, "Sorry I cannot take your call at the moment, please leave your name and number and I will get back to you as soon as possible".

How does that sound?

Mines always on.

Since i stopped advertising car valeting, carpets and add on etc i get very very few call for window cleaning, maybe one a month.

The only calls i get are PPI, insurance and general ****. But most of these show up as blocked/spam numbers.

Other than that its always on, if i dont want to be disturbed ill put it on silent or turn it off.

I love this forum and all the advice everyone shares I've learnt so much over past couple of years. BUT! Come on guys we are business owners it really is up to us what time we answer our phones until! Im waiting for which colour pen should I write in when I fill in my diary question to be posted soon! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this forum and all the advice everyone shares I've learnt so much over past couple of years. BUT! Come on guys we are business owners it really is up to us what time we answer our phones until! Im waiting for which colour pen should I write in when I fill in my diary question to be posted soon! 

I agree in a way but every subject is re hashed over and over, there's not that many subjects that come up that havent been covered, including this one. It's just chat.

Although most of my site work is via email I am terrible at not putting things down. I always say general support etc mon-fri but still cant resist replying over a weekend. New year's resolution must be to manage time better and allow myself the weekend to actually not work, we all need a break after all. 

Last edited by a moderator:

"which colour pen should I write in when I fill in my diary"

I belong to many forums covering varied subjects and when I see newbie questions that are often asked I either give my opinion on it if I feel like being helpful or ignore the post for others to answer.

Like adamangle said, "it's just chat". I know ultimately the decision is mine but I find it interesting to hear all the varied answers and opinions.

I do use the search function a lot and gain quite a bit of information that way.

I also am a member of another window cleaning website, that seems to have more experienced members, maybe you have out grown this one and would be better suited to another site.

For me this website seemed to have many more people that are in the process of starting up and more newbie questions being asked so I did not think it would be a problem.

Maybe in a couple of years I will feel the same as you.

We very much have the approach here that no question is a silly question. As above this is just chat but yes there will also be simple questions and newbies asking questions that have been asked before. This is the whole reason this forum is here. We asked some newbie questions on CIU many many moons ago and got destroyed by the members on the forum who were above us and knew better and if we had to ask those questions we should evaluate our going into business kind of responses.

For one it's just rude. I mean you wouldn't respond that way face to face. Well maybe some would but hey. If you don't want to answer a question you don't have to. ??

"which colour pen should I write in when I fill in my diary"

I belong to many forums covering varied subjects and when I see newbie questions that are often asked I either give my opinion on it if I feel like being helpful or ignore the post for others to answer.

Like adamangle said, "it's just chat". I know ultimately the decision is mine but I find it interesting to hear all the varied answers and opinions.

I do use the search function a lot and gain quite a bit of information that way.

I also am a member of another window cleaning website, that seems to have more experienced members, maybe you have out grown this one and would be better suited to another site.

For me this website seemed to have many more people that are in the process of starting up and more newbie questions being asked so I did not think it would be a problem.

Maybe in a couple of years I will feel the same as you.

We very much have the approach here that no question is a silly question. As above this is just chat but yes there will also be simple questions and newbies asking questions that have been asked before. This is the whole reason this forum is here. We asked some newbie questions on CIU many many moons ago and got destroyed by the members on the forum who were above us and knew better and if we had to ask those questions we should evaluate our going into business kind of responses.

For one it's just rude. I mean you wouldn't respond that way face to face. Well maybe some would but hey. If you don't want to answer a question you don't have to. ??
Guys, apologies my comment didn't come over in text as I meant it! I certainly believe no such thing as a silly question I am only 2 years into window cleaning and have asked many a question and appreciate the help i have got! I was more meaning from a business owner point of view and the point was trying to get over was we are in charge of how we individually can do whatever we want each to there own etc. So again apologies I sounded out of order but not intended!

I stopped giving out my mobile years and years ago. I just give out my home phone, and they get the answering machine.

I tell them on the message I will return there call in the evening. 

I deal with 700 customers. I can't spent allot of time on the phone when I am working. I try to let customer know that. 

Over the years I have had a few that call and txt incesently, monopolizing my time. Which is why I only give a landline.

I check messages each day when I get home or when I am on my lunch if I am home. Takes 5 mins tops.

Although most of my site work is via email I am terrible at not putting things down. I always say general support etc mon-fri but still cant resist replying over a weekend. New year's resolution must be to manage time better and allow myself the weekend to actually not work, we all need a break after all. 
I love the feature of Google inbox where you with two clicks can postpone an email to Monday, next week, etc. It then shows up as a new pinned email notification that day. Makes sure I don't forget anything and leaves the weekend and evenings to more important stuff than work.

Personally I only have my phone on while I'm out cleaning. I also never advertise with my phone number, I want people to go to my website and fill out a form. This way I get their email address which I need for sending invoice, and email communication is just so much better to keep track of.

Back