Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutters and pressure washing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We use a clarke tiger 6.5 HP petrol. For domestic work its more than adequate, & affordable, can make your money back on it in 3-5 jobs as it comes in at around £600. I think its great value for money. Easy to self service unless major engine or pump problem. 3 years still going strong. Heard of people spending up to £1500, granted they have honda engines but if you’re just getting in to it and not doing it every day then i’d recommend the clarke. Machine mart is the seller. They will also service it if it needs a major service, only snag is they need the petrol tank empty to transport it so youll need a siphon. & can take 3 weeks to a month before they get it back to you so service it at Christmas when you wont need it again until April. But standard spark plugs/oil changes/air filters piece if cake to do yourself. I would have another one when this one comes to the end of its time

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

We use a clarke tiger 6.5 HP petrol. For domestic work its more than adequate, & affordable, can make your money back on it in 3-5 jobs as it comes in at around £600. I think its great value for money. Easy to self service unless major engine or pump problem. 3 years still going strong. Heard of people spending up to £1500, granted they have honda engines but if you’re just getting in to it and not doing it every day then i’d recommend the clarke. Machine mart is the seller. They will also service it if it needs a major service, only snag is they need the petrol tank empty to transport it so youll need a siphon. & can take 3 weeks to a month before they get it back to you so service it at Christmas when you wont need it again until April. But standard spark plugs/oil changes/air filters piece if cake to do yourself. I would have another one when this one comes to the end of its time

Thank you for your reply what psi/bar is it mate any advice on detergent and method on cleaning patios/ driveways

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thank you for your reply what psi/bar is it mate any advice on detergent and method on cleaning patios/ driveways

It’s 2700 PSI. Bar...pfft? I’m not that technical. Main thing to check is that customer has decent water pressure, if it’s too low don’t take it on, you’ll knacker your machine. To be honest, i’m not going to claim to be the dogs at pressure washing, i don’t rate myself, because the more you big yourself up the more people are going to love to shoot you down and scrutinise you. People rate us 5* & i’m thrilled by that. I’ve never used any hypo or detergents, done a fair few block pave driveways & sandstone/concrete. I won’t touch tarmac or pattern imprint. I re-sand but don’t re-seal or re-grout. Customer can choose their sealant & grout & either hire somebody or do it their self. One more thing to go wrong in my opinion. pressure washing is pressure washing to me & it stops at that. Only thing i have used is jeye’s fluid. Other than that just the force of the engine for lichen. I’m not gonna risk chemicals ruining grands worth of patio especially when i don’t have the experience using chemicals. My favourite line is a “significant improvement will be made” & there is. Always remember, when you promise the world it’s a lot harder living up to it. Just get going & charge in relation to what you offer, if you dont re-seal or re-grout then don’t charge for it or state that you’ll do it & you should be fine, ive been fine for years doing 1-2 jet washes a week in the good months. I’m sure there’s others on here that can offer more advice than i can...best of luck!
Oh...& whirlaway flat surface cleaner you’ll need. Nozzle you’ll be there for a week, & the one after when you pass out from frustration. Not to mention customers water bill [emoji102]

Dont buy one.  Save up for the besr one you can get once you know what you're doing. 

I started pressure washing by booking in jobs then getting a large petrol machine from my local tool hire shop.  £45 per day or £60 per week. 

Would book 2 - 3 jobs for the week then hire the gear.  This not only taught me plenty about different machines but also let me earn the cash to buy a good one once the work was coming in regular for it. 

As above line up few jobs and rent one until you see how it goes. Telescopic lance helps a lot with fascia, soffit and gutters doing them handy of the ground. If money allows go for honda engine 6.5hp is enough for gutters but if you want to do patios etc. +13hp would suit better. The washers are two types by the way they feed (of tap or barrel). If feeds of tap and the customer dosn't have an outside tap or the pressure is low - you are in trouble. 

My pressure washer got paid off with the first job l got - moss on tarmac driveway. 

YOU buy cheap you buy twice as the saying goes . I've had the honda gx390 for around 4 years i paid around £1400  its the 13 HP with interpump capable of upto 4000 psi I very rarely have mine above tick over but the power is there if needed  its been brilliant its never let me down regular pump and engine oil changes that's all I have needed to do really 

Back