Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pressure washing detergent

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Don’t use any , if it needs anything generally use hypo mix 
Is there any training out there regarding mixing hypo etc? I could do with a bit of extra oomf when it comes to killing lichen sometimes as im ramping the throttle up to full and using the nozzle. Does ok but im sure theres an easier way. Do most people have training? Dont wanna burn myself, kill myself or make a cowboy out of myself!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just realised big sul & ben gave me some previous tips regarding lichen, managed to find the post!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Is there any training out there regarding mixing hypo etc? I could do with a bit of extra oomf when it comes to killing lichen sometimes as im ramping the throttle up to full and using the nozzle. Does ok but im sure theres an easier way. Do most people have training? Dont wanna burn myself, kill myself or make a cowboy out of myself!

This this is a very contravercial subject some people treat it as a black art , I posted how we use it a while ago and got slated by a certain individual on hear saying that you need to be qualified to use it , I reasherched how it’s used in America as they do a lot of it out there , you do need to be careful and take precautions but like all chemicals it is safe if used correctly, rightly or wrongly the way we use it is as followes if a pourous surface wet it down with the garden hose , including any plants grass etc , then with a sodium hypochlorite with a strength. of 10-15%  put 1 part hypo to 4 parts tap water mix it together using appropriate ppe of course goggles face shield and gloves in open air , use a watering can or sprayer to apply to the area to be cleaned , leave to dwell for up to 45 muinets, if you have got any on the grass or vegetation damp this down again with tap water to dilute it so it doesn’t damage anything then scrub with a broom or pressure wash off make sure it’s well diluted and you should then have a clean surface .

This this is a very contravercial subject some people treat it as a black art , I posted how we use it a while ago and got slated by a certain individual on hear saying that you need to be qualified to use it , I reasherched how it’s used in America as they do a lot of it out there , you do need to be careful and take precautions but like all chemicals it is safe if used correctly, rightly or wrongly the way we use it is as followes if a pourous surface wet it down with the garden hose , including any plants grass etc , then with a sodium hypochlorite with a strength. of 10-15%  put 1 part hypo to 4 parts tap water mix it together using appropriate ppe of course goggles face shield and gloves in open air , use a watering can or sprayer to apply to the area to be cleaned , leave to dwell for up to 45 muinets, if you have got any on the grass or vegetation damp this down again with tap water to dilute it so it doesn’t damage anything then scrub with a broom or pressure wash off make sure it’s well diluted and you should then have a clean surface .

Yeah i got the impression it’s a dark subject, i’ll continue to see how i get on without it, using various jeye’s, green gones and stuff. We don’t provide any softwash services,walls, render, roofs, etc so i guess i’ll get by [emoji4]

It's not so much a 'dark subject' as more of a reaponsible one.  

We dont know each other from Adam on here so giving out advice willy nilly on using hazardous chemicals is something where I would prefer to err on the side of caution as you never know who is reading.. 

One key fact I will give you about hypo is it's pretty useless below 7 degress.  Ideally between 10 - 20 degrees. 

Witg regards to looking for a 'derergent' I've always found jobs are 'either or'

As in they can be done with either the right cleaner 'detergent' and a stiff brush 'or' the pressure washer. 

To touch back on my earlier comment I was looking for advice on Muriatic Acids for stone cleaning earlier in the week and found several videos on Youtube.  They all talk about how to mix it, put it in the sprayer, apply it, how dangerous it is so make sure you got your PPE.......... but wait....... the guys in the vids have no PPE?   Oh that's cause their professionals and know what their doing etc etc etc....... 

It's these idiots that will get burnt one day and not in a pretty way...  

This is why I'd prefer to err on the side of caution. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Or as the forum saying goes "you could just chuck a bit of hypo on it"

Tut tut..

Or the more safer option would be to jump out of an airplane with a pair of Y fronts for a parachute

Without the proper knowledge of using chems and elements (below 7 degrees is useless at eradicating organic material but will still clean surfaces which in turn is false economy as natures gonna bring those stains back pretty soon)

Chems used correctly and with up most respect are an amazing cleanining/sanitizing tool.
Using chems without this! You may as well get your Y fronts ready for that jump.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yeah, good to be cautious, id rather have a few lichen kicking around than destroy my good health or somebodies property. i’m not overly bothered to be honest. Im sure the so called hypo isn’t the be all & end all of things. Theres other stuff out there im sure, haven’t needed a lot other than what I’ve got, but if there is something that makes life easier ill try it if i have the know how. I stop pressure washing between november & april so its all for future reference anyway. Going to try jeyes and green gone in the new season to see what they’re really made of & looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I gotta admit I'm guilty of saying just chuck some hypo on it but I do mean do it properly and safely 

I have a lot of experience and done a lot of research

Green has done training etc which is great and very usefull but also not anything you can't research yourself

There are no official qualifications for softwashing but you would benefit from the courses

Also hypo is not the only chemical out there and not always the best one for the job

Oxalic acid

Muriatic acid

Ddac

Sodium hydroxide 

Sodium percarbonate

Etc etc

There are a lot of options

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so much a 'dark subject' as more of a reaponsible one.  

We dont know each other from Adam on here so giving out advice willy nilly on using hazardous chemicals is something where I would prefer to err on the side of caution as you never know who is reading.. 

One key fact I will give you about hypo is it's pretty useless below 7 degress.  Ideally between 10 - 20 degrees. 

Witg regards to looking for a 'derergent' I've always found jobs are 'either or'

As in they can be done with either the right cleaner 'detergent' and a stiff brush 'or' the pressure washer. 

To touch back on my earlier comment I was looking for advice on Muriatic Acids for stone cleaning earlier in the week and found several videos on Youtube.  They all talk about how to mix it, put it in the sprayer, apply it, how dangerous it is so make sure you got your PPE.......... but wait....... the guys in the vids have no PPE?   Oh that's cause their professionals and know what their doing etc etc etc....... 

It's these idiots that will get burnt one day and not in a pretty way...  

This is why I'd prefer to err on the side of caution. 

Hypo does work better in warmer weather but we did a fence last week at 4 degrees air temperature and it came up perfect killed all the algy customer highly delighted , bleach is used to clean toilets and I doubt that the water temperature in your toilet will be 10 + degrees but it will still kill germs and bacteria that’s all we are doing using it for paths patios etc 

Latest Posts

Back