Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

filling van tank with 4040 ro and stop question?

mufcglen

hi guys question regarding building a 4040 system in my van, currently di method from tank so i just connect the tap to an outside port and when the tank is full i have a float valve which stops water from filling it, how will this work when im filling the tank with pure from the ro when it stops pure flowing into the tank?
will it just throw the excess water down the ro waste valve and could it damage the membrane stopping the pure flow?

hi guys question regarding building a 4040 system in my van, currently di method from tank so i just connect the tap to an outside port and when the tank is full i have a float valve which stops water from filling it, how will this work when im filling the tank with pure from the ro when it stops pure flowing into the tank?
will it just throw the excess water down the ro waste valve and could it damage the membrane stopping the pure flow?
Solution =

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/pump-controllers/system-controllers/liquid-logic-trade-autofill.html

other suppliers like Purefreedom also do an equivalent.

Thanks pal I was looking at those but was hoping I could just leave it as it was stopping at the tank then draining excess out the ro waste valve, it wouldn’t be draining back for long as I’m always nearby but I don’t want to same the membrane by restricting the pure flow if you can do that?

If I don’t use one of those solonoids will the water just back up and drain out of the waste side of the ro and will it be ok with the membrane without damaging it?
I check on my van regularly while it’s filling up so it won’t be left overnight probably minutes when it’s filled!

Can you not just time how long it takes to fill 50 litres and then work out how long it will take for the tank and set a timer? 

Or of you are always really close fit an overflow to the tank so it drains out above a certain point. I know it wastes some pure but if it's only for a minute or two it shouldn't be a big issue. It's just that extra measure to save flooding your van

Thanks pal, it won’t flood the van as I have a ball float valve in the tank that I currently use but I’m wondering when the tank is filled with pure and the valve stops the pure flow will it just force the excess water to exit out the 4040 down the waste gate valve I will fit and then out the back of the van?

Thanks pal, it won’t flood the van as I have a ball float valve in the tank that I currently use but I’m wondering when the tank is filled with pure and the valve stops the pure flow will it just force the excess water to exit out the 4040 down the waste gate valve I will fit and then out the back of the van?

You are going to have to ask one of the suppliers for a definitive answer. In the fog of my memory I seem to remember this question being asked 10 or 12 years ago and there was the fear expressed that the membrane could be damaged doing this.

But then there is nothing stopping you from doing it and reviewing the results with regard to membrane longevity.

Thanks mate ooh if there’s a chance it will damage the hf5 membrane I don’t really want that, I was hoping it would just head down the waste valve instead if the pure outlet was blocked from the float valve and not damage it but screw that if it could lol

For the sake of £80 + vat I would go for the Gardiner option, that’s unless you use a booster pump. And for info - I use a booster pump on my system (not van mounted but producing pure straight to the van) and when my auto shut off stops pure all the water got diverted to waste. I operated like this for two years and it hasn’t affected the membrane. I’ve since added a solenoid valve to the waste line which is linked to the pressure switch on the booster pump so once the pure is shut off the waste gets shut too so I don’t waste water (on a meter now!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

You are supposed to use the float valve on the inlet to the membrane so it stops the flow. If you have some wire and an old 12v power brick you can probably build the rest with parts from eBay for about 10-15£.

I can't see the membrane really taking damage from blocking the pure, as the membrane would just fill with water?

I'll recommend you get something that stops it completely though so you don't have to go out and check every so often.

This is the one we’ve got in our van using 4040 ro. It’s a complete kit, auto flush, auto fill, auto stop.

Great piece of kit and a lot cheaper than gardeners liquid logic.
Made by spring

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Back