Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Separate meter

Neil

I currently fill up from garden tap using just di only but looking to get a seperate meter fitted on the tap with a 4040 ro how do I go about getting the meter do I buy it or do I have to get the Water board in to do it? Can I claim back the waste water as well? Do I tell them it's going down the drain or not? How does the meter fit?

Loads of questions sorry [emoji23]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi Neil

You need to ask your water board for a external usage meter. They will then come to your house and ask where your going to fit it then give up a meter fitting mount that then needs to be fitted below the tap and then whole thing including the tap need to be put inside an full insulated box. The engineer will then come back and fit a waterboard meter. You can't just buy any meter.

I use Di only since the water down here costs 2.48 per cube with out sewage charge.

If you go Ro I would not tell them your producing waste water the external use meter only met to be for fill up water to tanks to be taken away or watering gardens filling swimming pools.

You might get away with it if you have a soak away for external water and ensure the waste from the or goes down their And not in a sewage drain.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi Neil

You need to ask your water board for a external usage meter. They will then come to your house and ask where your going to fit it then give up a meter fitting mount that then needs to be fitted below the tap and then whole thing including the tap need to be put inside an full insulated box. The engineer will then come back and fit a waterboard meter. You can't just buy any meter.

I use Di only since the water down here costs 2.48 per cube with out sewage charge.

If you go Ro I would not tell them your producing waste water the external use meter only met to be for fill up water to tanks to be taken away or watering gardens filling swimming pools.

You might get away with it if you have a soak away for external water and ensure the waste from the or goes down their And not in a sewage drain.

The water down our way is £3 For a 1000 litres I fill up 500 a day but not every day as I do other work too that doesn't need water, I thought you can claim it back but like you said I suppose it depends on if it goes down the soak away. So basically I would pay £3 For 500ltrs and whatever the waste is going to be which I thought would be double what I would pay for 500ltrs or am I wrong? How much roughly does it cost for them to fit it?
Thanks for your reply mate [emoji1303]

Hi Neil

Well my water without my submeter 4.96 per cube which is very expsnsive.

Your water board website will tell you the cost per cube without the standard sewerage charge.

Cost wise you need to call your waterboard can ask the cost of the visit to your house.

U need a plumber for any pipe work unless you are able to do it yourself. Then make or buy the insolated box to keep it in

Then it's maths and how long are you going to live where you are you going to take on more window cleaning etc and use more water.

I worked out it would take me 6 months to get the money I invested back it's been 8 months so I know making the savings.

Ball park my costs was about 200 quid all in

I currently fill up from garden tap using just di only but looking to get a seperate meter fitted on the tap with a 4040 ro how do I go about getting the meter do I buy it or do I have to get the Water board in to do it? Can I claim back the waste water as well? Do I tell them it's going down the drain or not? How does the meter fit?

Loads of questions sorry
emoji23.png

Before you do anything, try to speak to a few local windows cleaners who are on a meter and ask them what they do. Then you have some info and are forearmed for when you approach the water board.

There are 2 houses opposite each other down the road from us. They are identical houses. The first owner got planning permission to build an extension and it was granted. The extension has been up for many years now. So the chap who owns the house across the road submitted identical plans for an extension to his house. It was rejected as some stupid reason like it didn't fit in with the neighbouring houses it wasn't in keeping with the general apperance of the houses in the area; it would look an eyesore. 

So the second owner draws their attention to the fact that the same council approved plans for the same extension across the road. OK, lets look at it. Planning approval granted a few weeks later.

Back