Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Should I use a glass scraper

Josh Foster

Hi I  so when your cleaning a window the only real way to get stubborn stains off a window like bird poo and blobs of paint is with a glass scraper right . Does everyone use a scraper or do some of you just mop the window. I am just worried about using a glass scraper and the customer sees me using the scraper and accuses me of scratcing the glass. Has anyone had issues with customers over this 

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I  so when your cleaning a window the only real way to get stubborn stains off a window like bird poo and blobs of paint is with a glass scraper right . Does everyone use a scraper or do some of you just mop the window. I am just worried about using a glass scraper and the customer sees me using the scraper and accuses me of scratcing the glass. Has anyone had issues with customers over this 

Thanks
They’re manufactured for purpose mate, pigs are more likely to fly than you scratching the glass. just make sure the blade is kept sharp (replace regularly) been using them day in day out for years. How else are you gonna get it off there? A cloth wont remove paint dude. Its part of the job, nothing in life is without risk. Major superstructures are thought through rigorously by architects, built to specification, they have still been known to collapse. Main thing to be wary of is dodgey customers. If you have any suspicion they are “claim culture” then dont take them on. One of the main skills of window cleaning is being able to read customers minds, sus out their personality before you take them on & if you think they pose any kind of risk, don’t. E.g. the ones who said theyve had numerous previous window cleaners. Hmm for what reason? You sacked them all because you cant be pleased or they binned you for their own reasons? Take in everything a customer says, right down to the way they talk.
While they’re thinking about hiring you, you need to be analyzing them to see if you want to work for them. Tust is a two way thing. Ive met some right ones in the past but haven’t we all.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

With bird poo just wet the poo with the applicator, do the rest of the panes, give it time to soak. Then a good scrub will shift 99% of pop. As for paint a scraper is the only way

A scraper is an essential tool, and you need to learn to use it properly. I use 10cm unger scrapers, they work fine.

The unger boab also has a pocket for a small scraper, which is very handy if you do a lot of trad, shop fronts etc. The blade rusts very fast though, since it will be standing in water. I drilled drain holes in mine but it still rusted.

Need to have the window wet and the correct angle of the scraper, then you can't really scratch it.

There's a lot larger chance of you cutting yourself than you scratching the window.

Anyone tried some very fine steel wool? I was doing a job the other day and there was some paint on the windows (little spoldges) on the  back window next to the fence where the guy had obviously been painting, It came off really easy and never left a scratch

Yep it is working for me , but I’m using only stainless steel wool grade 000 don’t use steel wool otherwise You can left some fibre parts and they can rust in couple of hours ( on white plastic ) so only stainless steel fine grade - and You never scratch a Window ;) When using scrapper I’m only using it by going from down to up or only in one direction as You can easily drag some debris underneath blade and if it contain sand grains You can scratch a glass very easily .

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Yep it is working for me , but I’m using only stainless steel wool grade 000 don’t use steel wool otherwise You can left some fibre parts and they can rust in couple of hours ( on white plastic ) so only stainless steel fine grade - and You never scratch a Window ;) When using scrapper I’m only using it by going from down to up or only in one direction as You can easily drag some debris underneath blade and if it contain sand grains You can scratch a glass very easily .

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Yeah the 000 steel wool is what I've got. I make sure that its tucked in my wee pouch lol. Great wee tool to have so to speak!

When I use  a scraper on dried paint etc I make sure it is a new blade, soak the area with my solution(water and soap on my applicator) and scrape in forward strokes (not back and forth) forward stroke, lift the scraper of the glass and rewet the area if necessary and forward stroke again.

Important that area is wet to give blade glide and soften the crud, and that you scrape in forward direction only(not back and forth) and blade is clean.

Always use a brand new blade.  I didnt in thos demonstration and believe it or not the blade is only 2 days old.  Once wet they rust fast.   Reason I didnt fit a brand new one? Left the pack of spares in my lock up.  Stupid boy!  

Anyway. Hope you find some tips of use in the vid. 

I stopped using a steel scraper for most regular work, and only reserve it for the off first clean. Get yourself a sharp windscreen ice scraper and use that for the bird poo, much quicker and a lot safer for you and the windows...and no need to replace rusty blades all the time. Save the metal scraper for paint, sellotape etc that you find on the first cleans. If you find the right ice scraper it's lighter in the pouch too. Best move I made.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back