Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie needing some guidance.

GregNorthWest

Alright chaps,

I'm wishing to start a small window cleaning business (at first), I plan to use a water fed system either backpack or trolley setup. The majority of the work I look to secure is going to be 2 story residential properties in the Blackpool and Wyre areas (give me the heads up if this is any of your patch and I can work around your areas). I'm trying to get a concise kit list and business needs before starting, so my thoughts are:

- LTD company and bank account

- Public liability insurance

- Risk assessment

- Logo uniform

- Equipment - Carbon telescopic pole (25ft Gardiner SLX), Ultimate sill brush, 20 m of hose (which quick release connectors do you recommend), 150 GPD RODI unit at home into an IBC container,    sump pump & 25l container for pure water top up for the backpack/trolley. Can you think of any other equipment essentials?

Didn't want to jump straight into a van system without proving I could get the custom first.

The bit I'm stuck on is marketing, what have the public found most interest in which converted to customers?

Are there an tips on closing a sale?

Any tips at all are appreciated!

Cheers

Greg

Alright chaps,

I'm wishing to start a small window cleaning business (at first), I plan to use a water fed system either backpack or trolley setup. The majority of the work I look to secure is going to be 2 story residential properties in the Blackpool and Wyre areas (give me the heads up if this is any of your patch and I can work around your areas). I'm trying to get a concise kit list and business needs before starting, so my thoughts are:

- LTD company and bank account

- Public liability insurance

- Risk assessment

- Logo uniform

- Equipment - Carbon telescopic pole (25ft Gardiner SLX), Ultimate sill brush, 20 m of hose (which quick release connectors do you recommend), 150 GPD RODI unit at home into an IBC container,    sump pump & 25l container for pure water top up for the backpack/trolley. Can you think of any other equipment essentials?

Didn't want to jump straight into a van system without proving I could get the custom first.

The bit I'm stuck on is marketing, what have the public found most interest in which converted to customers?

Are there an tips on closing a sale?

Any tips at all are appreciated!

Cheers

Greg
150gpd ro won't be enough, the minimum is suggest is 300gpd. If you get a backpack, get a sack truck to put it in, they are too heavy to carry everywhere. No need to go ltd, just go sole trader & make sure insurance covers items worked on (gleaming insurance is one of the best). Trad tools are a good idea, along with AT LEAST 4 barrels of pure. As for customers, best bet is knock on doors, ask if they are looking for a window cleaner, and if they say no, just say thanks and go, if they say yes, give price and crack on. It's a struggle when you start, just keep that in mind.

More importantly PATCHES DONT EXIST!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Clisty,

The 150GPD is the system I already have from my Marine fish tank, I'll look into the cost of a more industrial unit.

I was thinking that a backpack full must be getting on for 40KG, a sack truck or trolley is a must.

Thanks for the heads up on insurance i'll defo give them a look.

When it comes to pricing, how do you go about it? Is it purely time taken or do you add travel, amount of clients in area? Do you mind me asking how much you charge for a standard 3 bed semi or per hour?

cheers

If you already have a 150gpd then buy a 2nd 150gpd membrane and fittings and you now have a 300gpd

Mine is a 450 which is just 3 membranes

You will have to buy a new waste restrictor rated for the size but that is all you will need

Hi Dave,

It currently is 2 75GPD piggy backed, I'll defo get a large unit as the demand/number of clients increases. I'll have a 1000 litre IBC filled which should hopefully fill over the days off.

Have you got any tips for attracting new clients?

Cheers

Greg

Thanks Clisty,

The 150GPD is the system I already have from my Marine fish tank, I'll look into the cost of a more industrial unit.

I was thinking that a backpack full must be getting on for 40KG, a sack truck or trolley is a must.

Thanks for the heads up on insurance i'll defo give them a look.

When it comes to pricing, how do you go about it? Is it purely time taken or do you add travel, amount of clients in area? Do you mind me asking how much you charge for a standard 3 bed semi or per hour?

cheers
When I started I worked it out as £1 per window & door + £2. Now I charge on average £1.50 per window or door + £3 then round up. Works out on average I can earn £30 - £40ph on a compact run. Obviously the more spread out they are the less I earn.

Hard to judge when new as it takes longer per job but when up to speed a job won't take anywhere near as long as in the early days

Nowadays I can just look at a job and give a fairly accurate price at a glance

Average 3 bed terrace round here (2 top windows 1 bottom front and 2 top 1 bottom and patio doors back) is around £12 for me for 10 minutes work

A good way to do it is take what you want to earn per hour and divide it by how long the job would take on a regular clean but have a strict minimum price

I won't get out the van for less than a tenner 

Thanks guys, I was definitely looking for £10 plus for a 2 up & down.

For payment do you guys push for direct debits or some other electronic payment, I think collecting would be a real pain?

My pricing usually works on, how long do i want to be here? How much do i think they will pay? Once i've got the price, add a few quid then at least if they try and get it for less you can drop the price to what you really wanted. It's all a bit of psychology with pricing a job in front of the customer. If they do umm and arrrr then outline that you clean doors, frames and sills in the price. If they don't want to pay a decent price then move on. You'll only regret cleaning an £8 house every 2 months that takes 40mins.

These are all fair points, hopefully get all the kit and flyers next month and go knocking on a few doors.

I think once I get my kit and have a practice on my own place and my mums if shes lucky, i'll get a better idea of timings. I'm thinking along the lines of £1 per minute on the job. I'll try to focus on getting houses in close proximity to cut the travel down too.

When you got to a new customer do you provide a '1st' time wash where you try to get rid of any staining and paint blobs off the frames and sill? If so what are your got to methods and chemicals?

Cheers

If i'm removing paint and stains then i class that as a builders clean and the price increases dramatically, maybe £50 or so. If i'm just providing window cleaning then i may add 5 or 10 pounds to the price for the first clean. Sometimes I don't add anything to the first clean if it's a good job and maybe on a 4 weekly schedule.

A 150 gpd membrane is fine to start with. I used that for a year and only had 200l storage, so a 1000l IBC should last you ages when working from barrels.

Great stuff, I've just took the plunge and bought the items needed to make a decent trolley. Now all I need to do is learn how to put it all together haha!

150gpd ro won't be enough, the minimum is suggest is 300gpd. If you get a backpack, get a sack truck to put it in, they are too heavy to carry everywhere. No need to go ltd, just go sole trader & make sure insurance covers items worked on (gleaming insurance is one of the best). Trad tools are a good idea, along with AT LEAST 4 barrels of pure. As for customers, best bet is knock on doors, ask if they are looking for a window cleaner, and if they say no, just say thanks and go, if they say yes, give price and crack on. It's a struggle when you start, just keep that in mind.
More importantly PATCHES DONT EXIST!!!!!
Does gleaming insurance cover personal injury also?

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Right, well my water fed trolley equipment list has been ordered, so I'll be doing a DIY jobbie over the next few weeks.

As for pole i was looking at a gardiner SLX, what length would i need for a Standard 2 story house with fascia cleaning too?

What brush would you recommend, I was thinking the ultimate mixed. What size do you guys use? are pencil jets or fan best?

Right, well my water fed trolley equipment list has been ordered, so I'll be doing a DIY jobbie over the next few weeks.

As for pole i was looking at a gardiner SLX, what length would i need for a Standard 2 story house with fascia cleaning too?

What brush would you recommend, I was thinking the ultimate mixed. What size do you guys use? are pencil jets or fan best?
I've recently added a wfp trolley set up for upper floors. The SLX 25 can reach 2nd floor windows which comes in handy sometimes. The brush came with the pole ( not sure which one but it's on the gardiner website) and hose as well. Make sure you order a brush bumper. They are About £5 And help protect the glass from the hard plastic stock of the brush.

I would also  reccomend fitting a univalve so you have easier control of your water usage.

I have Gardner backpack as well. So far no battery problems and it has been totally reliable. 

Latest Posts

Back