Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Should I switch to WFP? HELP!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Suhrly

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice. I've been a traditional cleaner for coming up to 4 years now. My and my business partner have built up quite a substantial round. However, I've got to the point now where I'm sick to death of going up and down ladders. Here's the thing, my business partner is dead against going water fed. Dead against! I've tried to convince him but nope.

So I'm thinking of just splitting the round in half and going our seperate ways with me investing in a WFP system and going on my own. Have any of you been in my position or just switched from Traditional to WFP? Any regrets about it?

Thanks for any advice given or just thoughts about it.

Could always try trad poling? I switched 18 months ago and no regrets. I also work with my father in law as well as having my own round and he was dead against it, as in he wouldn't even consider it and tried to stop me taking it when working together. Taken 18 months and he's started converting parts of his round. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Could always try trad poling? I switched 18 months ago and no regrets. I also work with my father in law as well as having my own round and he was dead against it, as in he wouldn't even consider it and tried to stop me taking it when working together. Taken 18 months and he's started converting parts of his round. 

Thanks mate that's an idea but I think I would prefer to do the full switch to WFP if I was to do it.

Thanks mate that's an idea but I think I would prefer to do the full switch to WFP if I was to do it.
What I would do is speak to him about getting a backpack to get awkward windows, then let the results do the work. Then use for gutter cleans as it halves the time, and let him convince himself. It'll take longer but if you want to keep working with him then it's probably the only way to go. Other option is part ways unfortunately

I use every method going to clean windows mate, mix and match. Gets boring otherwise! We are water fed but do some bungalows/ground floor flats trad especially if theyre small & it doesnt justify getting the gear out. Water fed youll make more money & can access pretty much any window
but your equipment & maintenance is that much more expensive. Trad poles are a good option. Ladders should be a last resort in this day & age, not the safest or most practical of options especially since the age of extensions and conservatories on every other property. If you were doing terraces in the 70’s maybe. I find trad easier in back gardens especially as its easier to work around the clutter

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I use every method going to clean windows mate, mix and match. Gets boring otherwise! We are water fed but do some bungalows/ground floor flats trad especially if theyre small & it doesnt justify getting the gear out. Water fed youll make more money & can access pretty much any window
but your equipment & maintenance is that much more expensive. Trad poles are a good option. Ladders should be a last resort in this day & age, not the safest or most practical of options especially since the age of extensions and conservatories on every other property. If you were doing terraces in the 70’s maybe. I find trad easier in back gardens especially as its easier to work around the clutter

I agree, however I do enjoy ladder work to de stress, but it's getting rarer as the days go on.

Dead against, he must have a reason why.

I think he's afraid of losing customers mate. We have a massive estate that firstly used to 'belong'' to a water fed guy. Everyone binned him off and that's how we ended up taking many customers. I just don't think he knew what he was doing to be honest.

I was traditional for over 10 years never wanted to do the wfp as it seemed abit of a cheat way of cleaning , but after doing wfp for over 3 years its best thing iv done and it cleans just as good if not better

In August last year my business partner convinced a sceptical me to convert to WFP, 100% of our work was obtained because we were trad “You’re not just going to spray the windows are you?” They asked, “no we’re going to do it the proper way!” We said and so on and so on etc etc.

We converted 100% of our work and didn’t lose a single customer because we educated our custys and basically said give us 3 months and if you’re not happy, We’ll find you a traditional window cleaner. Needless to say they we’re more than impressed after 2 cleans.

Do it! We haven’t looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

In August last year my business partner convinced a sceptical me to convert to WFP, 100% of our work was obtained because we were trad “You’re not just going to spray the windows are you?” They asked, “no we’re going to do it the proper way!” We said and so on and so on etc etc.

We converted 100% of our work and didn’t lose a single customer because we educated our custys and basically said give us 3 months and if you’re not happy, We’ll find you a traditional window cleaner. Needless to say they we’re more than impressed after 2 cleans.

Do it! We haven’t looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

Thanks man this sounds EXACTLY like our customers!

Split your round in half, he does trad you do WFP.

After around 4-6 weeks when your round is completed, let him know how much extra wedge your earning. Bet he soon comes round 

I was trad for 9 years and only went wfp beacause some of my commercial customers said I would loose the contract if I continue to use ladders : I was very sceptical and didn’t want to go wfp but did to keep the contracts : never looked back best thing I ever did been wfp 10 years now  buisness has gone through the roof , with hine sight should have done it before , Ime sure you will have some teething problems changing over it’s a new way to learn and first cleans will be a lot slower initials but after a couple of months you will be fine , go for it you won’t regret it Ime sure 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trad for 9 years and only went wfp beacause some of my commercial customers said I would loose the contract if I continue to use ladders : I was very sceptical and didn’t want to go wfp but did to keep the contracts : never looked back best thing I ever did been wfp 10 years now  buisness has gone through the roof , with hine sight should have done it before , Ime sure you will have some teething problems changing over it’s a new way to learn and first cleans will be a lot slower initials but after a couple of months you will be fine , go for it you won’t regret it Ime sure 

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm kind of wanting to do it sooner rather than later cos I don't want to get another 5 years down the road only to do it then and realise I should of done it 'years ago'!

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm kind of wanting to do it sooner rather than later cos I don't want to get another 5 years down the road only to do it then and realise I should of done it 'years ago'!

Why is he so against it ? I was the same I went out with a friend for a day before I bought mine and had a go and learned how it worked , it does give you a bit of insite and might help him see the benefit of  wfp can you go out with someone local ?? Don’t know where you are but very welcome to come out with us for a day if it would help 

Why is he so against it ? I was the same I went out with a friend for a day before I bought mine and had a go and learned how it worked , it does give you a bit of insite and might help him see the benefit of  wfp can you go out with someone local ?? Don’t know where you are but very welcome to come out with us for a day if it would help 
Most of it is he probably doesn't understand how it works, that was my father in law's problem.

I used to do trad as well but converted to ego. Out of all customers had one said she preferred trad only because it left the windows wet. I asked her if it dried okay and the answer was yes so what’s the issue?? Some people don’t like change. Personally I love the wfp and still trad bungalows etc but like I would get to the bottom of why he doesn’t like wfp. Also convert a batches of customers at a time and get them right before doing others that’s way he may see how good the system is!

I used to do trad as well but converted to ego. Out of all customers had one said she preferred trad only because it left the windows wet. I asked her if it dried okay and the answer was yes so what’s the issue?? Some people don’t like change. Personally I love the wfp and still trad bungalows etc but like I would get to the bottom of why he doesn’t like wfp. Also convert a batches of customers at a time and get them right before doing others that’s way he may see how good the system is!

Thanks for the advice Rich!

Hi @Tony Emery.   It's real hard to clean upstairs windows from a wheelchair.  That's the worst case scenario I know but always a possibility with ladders, if your experienced and careful then not a probability but still a possibility.  

I have been WFP for coming on 5 years, there is no choice, once in a while I get an enquiry from people that dont want WFP and ask me to do trad and I politely turn down their custom.  

I made this video some time back for my facebook page to educate my customers as to why WFP is a better alternative what I didn't expect however was how some 60 other window cleaners so far have shared it on their pages to educate their customers too. :)  

Perhaps there is some info in there of use to you and you clients.  Hope it helps. 

Thanks Green! Funnily enough I just watched your video today and found it really helpful and it was one of a few that is really making me want to switch now! At this point I feel like with Trad, I'm doing way more work than I need to be. Thanks again.

Back