Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best way to clean Leaded lights

windymillers

I have been dropping a lot of leaflets out this week and have avoided windows with leaded lights.

Had 1 job with 2 front leaded light windows and the odd door here and there.

But I had a recommendation from a bungalow I cleaned yesterday and she says they are all leaded lights.

Not sure of the best way to clean them especially on a first clean.

Also do you charge more for properties with leaded lights?

Green pros got a video on cleaning leaded windows. Not sure what you’re on about regarding leaded lights sorry. Wfp same as any other window. I find scrubbing side to side works better on leaded rather than an up down motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I use the traditional method.

Not sure why I call them leaded lights, I mean all the windows are leaded.

I have been searching for Green Pros video you mentioned but nothing coming up.

Is there a section where all the videos are kept?

Who knows mate. The search bar seems to be pretty pants. Id never clean a leaded house trad lol. Tedious. Be there half a day easy all them little diamonds one after the other...tedious!

Yes not looking forward to it but do not want to turn the work away as it could lead to more, this already came from a recommendation yesterday.

I watched quite a few videos on YouTube, some apply solution in the usual manner, squeegee off, wipe over with a damp cloth, then a dry microfiber.

Others do not apply solution and just use a damp cloth, then a dry cloth.

The video is on Youtube.  Just search Green Pro Clean on there mate but it is a WFP video.  I will do a trad one next time I am on a leaded property for you.  

First clean I get stuck into the frame work exactly the same way as in the video I did on traditional first cleans (also on youtube) then I O give the glass and lead a going over with an absolutely dripping wet applicator to get crud moving.   I then dry it down with a large rag and buff with a scrim or microfibre.   

It may sound a lot but it doesn't really take all that long.  

Thank-you Green Pro Clean, I have found your Youtube channel and watched your Trad first clean video, very helpful.

Thanks also for the tips on cleaning leaded windows which I will do tomorrow.

I have been dropping a lot of leaflets out this week and have avoided windows with leaded lights.

Had 1 job with 2 front leaded light windows and the odd door here and there.

But I had a recommendation from a bungalow I cleaned yesterday and she says they are all leaded lights.

Not sure of the best way to clean them especially on a first clean.

Also do you charge more for properties with leaded lights?
The trouble with leaded windows is you can't actually get them perfect, and it takes longer to do and is tiring if you have a lot. once the sun shines on them you will see  where you have cleaned them. However, you can do a pretty good job my way. First tell the customer in a nice way that you (or anyone) can't get them perfect, because of he leading. Get a spray bottle with water and add a couple of squirts of Pink hand wash (Aldi or Lidl). You need a clean cloth, towelling is very good. Bunch the cloth up in you hand so that there is a flat smooth surface, now turn the cloth round so that the rough screwed up part is towards the glass. Spray over the glass, not too much, and work the water round all over the glass until you see it starting to evaporate, at this point turn the cloth round to the smooth part and buff up. It will depend how much you spray on, because like now in the cold it take longer to evaporate, so you can use less water. it takes practice, but this is the best way I have found, and I've been doing them many years. There may be other ways that people will say, but this I have found to be the quickest.

The trouble with leaded windows is you can't actually get them perfect, and it takes longer to do and is tiring if you have a lot. once the sun shines on them you will see  where you have cleaned them. However, you can do a pretty good job my way. First tell the customer in a nice way that you (or anyone) can't get them perfect, because of he leading. Get a spray bottle with water and add a couple of squirts of Pink hand wash (Aldi or Lidl). You need a clean cloth, towelling is very good. Bunch the cloth up in you hand so that there is a flat smooth surface, now turn the cloth round so that the rough screwed up part is towards the glass. Spray over the glass, not too much, and work the water round all over the glass until you see it starting to evaporate, at this point turn the cloth round to the smooth part and buff up. It will depend how much you spray on, because like now in the cold it take longer to evaporate, so you can use less water. it takes practice, but this is the best way I have found, and I've been doing them many years. There may be other ways that people will say, but this I have found to be the quickest.
Thank-you for the detailed post rugbywolf, my only question is regarding the pink hand wash, is this the normal soap based hand wash? I do have some Cien hand wash.

Turned up and saw there are 3 smallish windows + 2 bay windows, all leaded and 2 sets of French doors (not leaded) and a front door.

I quoted £15, way to high for her £12 way too high for her "I am a pensioner" she said, she offered £10 I told her a first clean should be double the price but rather than go home I would do them now for £10.

Took about 50 minutes and she gave me £12.

It is actually a nice job and they were clean frames and glass so I will keep doing it.

Its a 15 mile round trip but I can fit it in with my weekly shopping :)

Hand wash? for what? dash of fairy liquid or magnum etc.  Every window perfect.  Dont know why you say otherwise.   

I do understand some windows (especially lead) can be more time consuming and tiring but if YOU HAVE CHARGED properly for the time whats the issue? 

My technique differs to @Dave B but his looks to work fine and leave a fine finish to me. 

Same way as me, except I use normal squeegee on leaded not one of my Moermans......but would not like too many leaded on my round.
That was a good squeegee 

Liquidator channel bodged into wagtail handle

Pity wagtail handles never last long as it was a good combo

Turned up and saw there are 3 smallish windows + 2 bay windows, all leaded and 2 sets of French doors (not leaded) and a front door.

I quoted £15, way to high for her £12 way too high for her "I am a pensioner" she said, she offered £10 I told her a first clean should be double the price but rather than go home I would do them now for £10.

Took about 50 minutes and she gave me £12.

It is actually a nice job and they were clean frames and glass so I will keep doing it.

Its a 15 mile round trip but I can fit it in with my weekly shopping :)

I remember doing things just like this when I was staying out mate. Even though you know a tenner is too cheap you would rather have that than nothing. I was same but really quickly learnt u gotta stick by your price. Have confidence in your price too they don't know you are just starting out. I found I got people saying yeah to a higher price when I said things like.  That will be £15 Mrs Jones..   but my last window cleaner charged £8 I will give you £10.   Sorry Mrs Jones I am  too busy all my customers pay the going rate I can't start doing cheap cleans when others on your road pay the normal price so thanks I would say you are better using your old cleaner who charged 8. Then turn to leave.   They will more often than not say yes and if they don't u have avoided a job you wil hate cos it's underpriced. Remember the reason they need a new windy is the old ones either **** or have given up cos he was so cheap he made no money! 

Last edited by a moderator:
If ur only option is tradition , soap them up as u would a normal window then just do straight pull downs with the squeegee, then take most access off with whatever scrims or microfibres u use , then finally with a bone dry rag buff up should come up perfect , the rags have got to b clean or u will not get leaded windows up to a good standard

When I was tradding I only ever used a damp scrim, in winter especially on main roads where the gritters were working they took longer and we're harder to do, however in summer I could have them cleaned quicker than a normal non leaded house.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thank-you for the detailed post rugbywolf, my only question is regarding the pink hand wash, is this the normal soap based hand wash? I do have some Cien hand wash.
Sorry for the delay. It's the one that evaporates when you clean your hands, Abbot & Broome or Cien, one Aldi the other Lidl, both pink.

Back