Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Paying someone else for tax relief.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

J and S

Not an issue at the mo but.

If wife got made redundant could I book her down as working with me and pay her £11,500 that I would have earned and at the same time reduce my earnings by £11,500.

EG...I have a round worth £40,000 per year done 12 times a year so pay tax on £28,500.

Could I "take" the wife with me and "pay" her £11,500 per year meaning I "earn" £28,500 per year so only pay tax on £17,000?

Not an issue at the mo but.

If wife got made redundant could I book her down as working with me and pay her £11,500 that I would have earned and at the same time reduce my earnings by £11,500.

EG...I have a round worth £40,000 per year done 12 times a year so pay tax on £28,500.

Could I "take" the wife with me and "pay" her £11,500 per year meaning I "earn" £28,500 per year so only pay tax on £17,000?
Yes, BUT she needs to actually be doing work. Maybe give her a works phone and have her answering business calls whilst "working from home". If I'm right you'll also need employers liability insurance for her.

Yes, BUT she needs to actually be doing work. Maybe give her a works phone and have her answering business calls whilst "working from home". If I'm right you'll also need employers liability insurance for her.
Rather than give her a works phone, just put hers through the account. With regards to her doing work, the is nothing to say how much you do or don’t pay them and how much “work they do” I agree that maybe a bit of paperwork should be done. My moms retired and I use her allowance to reduce my bill. Maybe an obvious statement but don’t let her claim any benefits (unemployment etc) In theory perfectly fine reasonable and above board to do what you are suggesting.

Last time she was out of work for 10 weeks in around 2000 the max she could claim was £30 per week I think it was.

What Solarpanel said

Completely above board - no employers liability - split the profits and each pay your own tax after deduction of £11,500 each and a half share of all allowable expenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is in partnership with me, she works on tools two days a week, but your wife could do admin? Accountant does 3 tax returns, two individuals n one for partnership.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I've always employed my wife rather than a partnership.  My accountant bill is high enough doing just one set of accounts let alone 3! Don't you find it really expensive, all you chaps in partnership? Maybe I just have an expensive accountant?

Register online and if you have got all your figures for income and expenditure written down or on computer just fill out the form.

It's basically how much did you earn, how much was spent on the business so profit is so and so.

There's a lot of pages but if you answer no to a question it moves you on to the next page.

You don't have to itemise anything...it only becomes a little complicated if you have other income like property rental, foreign investments shares etc.

Dividends over £5k, I believe, attract tax. Unless the NI rules have changed then the Ltd Company will also pay NI on salaries at that level. 

Should get 13.5 k yourself

11.5k allowance plus 2k tax free dividends.

Not sure how dividends work for an employee (partner) who is also a shareholder.

Would be worth running through all the various options with an accountant.

I did my own returns myself but going ltd sometime in the next few months due to wanting to employ and also possibly adding partner as a shareholder or employee. Although I'm still contacting accountants and mulling over all the pros and cons at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back