Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do I need an RO system with this TDS reading?

Suhrly

My TDS reading out my tap is between 130 - 150. Do I need or would you recommend me getting an RO system or will just a DI be OK? 

Thanks for any advice.

If you are in it for the long term get a decent ro. I used to be double Di but I bought second hand 4040 in good condition and it paid for itself with savings in resin within 3 months, and life seems so much easier than changing resin all the time. And I don't worry about how much water I use now because it's so much cheaper. And I'm on a meter!

But if you can't afford it or are just starting out or only using 100 litres a day or planning to retire in 6 months or something then double Di would fill in the gap for a lower initial outlay

But if you can't afford it or are just starting out or only using 100 litres a day or planning to retire in 6 months or something then double Di would fill in the gap for a lower initial outlay

I'm in it for the long haul mate. I have a pretty subsantial round that I've built up so will be looking at a 350l tank. Currently I'm traditional but probably will be switching to Water Fed pretty soon so just trying to work out what I need. Was hoping my TDS was gonna be so low to only need a DI. But doing a reading today it's showing between 120-150 ish. So looks like I'm pretty much going down the RO route. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They say anything below 100ppm Di and do anything above, I’m 75ish ppm here in Stockport and use about 400 litres a day and going through a bag of resin every 1.5 months, I’m sick of changing resin so I’m building a 4040 ro System, it should be paid for itself in around a year than hoping the hf5 membrane will last at least 3 years to make some serious money back on it!

They say anything below 100ppm Di and do anything above, I’m 75ish ppm here in Stockport and use about 400 litres a day and going through a bag of resin every 1.5 months, I’m sick of changing resin so I’m building a 4040 ro System, it should be paid for itself in around a year than hoping the hf5 membrane will last at least 3 years to make some serious money back on it!

Yeah I was thinking of going RO anyways just to save me money and time in the long run

It's been said on here before but always buy bigger and better than you currently need and you will grow into it, otherwise you will grow to hate it.

Whatever you get look after it and it will last a long time

It's been said on here before but always buy bigger and better than you currently need and you will grow into it, otherwise you will grow to hate it.

Whatever you get look after it and it will last a long time

Great advice! I'm actually toying with going with maybe 450l cos I'm planning to do gutter cleaning also

being restricted by the amount of water you can carry or produce is often the biggest hurdle that can slow down the growth of your business. Buy a 500l tank, and a 4040 ro. It’s a sizeable investment, but they will last you long term. With a 350l you might find yourself running low when you are converting your round, and if you want to do add ons. 500l will last you all day comfortably, and you don’t have to fill it to the brim if you don’t need it.

and a 4040 should comfortably produce enough water under most circumstances.

Well I am 75 ppm here but know I will go through loads of resin, cos will be using 500 a day I reckon min. So building an ro system and submersible pump

Reason being one fill night before and if run out when I am out I can come home and top up fast. Under 100 ppm seems legit for di only but someone on 50 ppm could use lots of water and go through as much resin as someone with a ppm of 150.

Get ro system and I say, save cash long term and don't be restricted

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Im around 60-70ppm and i use around 400 litres a day maybe more. Got a 650 litre tank. Resin is around £80 a bag and lasts me 6 weeks. For that it will get around £4800 worth of work from a bag so i dont see the point in changing to RO. Plus isnt 60% of water produced put down the drain using an RO?? 

Mine's anywhere between 75 and 90 and was using a Ro but with all the waste and being on a meter it was expensive.

I reckon I get around 7000 litres maybe more if I let it go up a bit.

That earns me more than enough for cost of resin plus no faffing about.

Mine's anywhere between 75 and 90 and was using a Ro but with all the waste and being on a meter it was expensive.

I reckon I get around 7000 litres maybe more if I let it go up a bit.

That earns me more than enough for cost of resin plus no faffing about.

What waste? Sorry for the noob question but I'm brand new to Water Fed Pole. Does the RO system produce a waste that you have to keep draining or something?

Great advice! I'm actually toying with going with maybe 450l cos I'm planning to do gutter cleaning also
There would be no need to use your de ionised water for gutter cleaning Tony, It's a waste. Just tell your custy that you will need to hook up to their outside tap for the gutter cleaning part and you can use as much as you like. (Within reason of course). Just my two penny worth :1f44d:

One hose goes into ro (tap water) and two come out. One is pure water and the other is waste. You need waste water to take the impurities you have filtered away. Usually get about 40% pure and 60% of input water goes to waste. Waste is still good water, just higher ppm. Either water your garden with it or down the drain. 

I used to feel guilty about waste water but then someone pointed out it's good water going down the drain so not like it's got to be cleaned or damaging the environment. It's less water than people who leave a grass sprinkler on all day use and it lets us have a job and with what we earn from the pure water we will pay taxes.

Some people harvest rainwater from their roof and just have an ro for backup if it's a dry spell. It has very low TDs and can just go through Di to polish. 

One hose goes into ro (tap water) and two come out. One is pure water and the other is waste. You need waste water to take the impurities you have filtered away. Usually get about 40% pure and 60% of input water goes to waste. Waste is still good water, just higher ppm. Either water your garden with it or down the drain. 

I used to feel guilty about waste water but then someone pointed out it's good water going down the drain so not like it's got to be cleaned or damaging the environment. It's less water than people who leave a grass sprinkler on all day use and it lets us have a job and with what we earn from the pure water we will pay taxes.

Some people harvest rainwater from their roof and just have an ro for backup if it's a dry spell. It has very low TDs and can just go through Di to polish. 

Cheers. Where is the waste water stored though? Or do you mean empty the tank after each day?

My ppm is approx 65-70 i use about 400litres a day although I occasionally use 500 litres on a commercial and similarly go through a bag of resin every 6 weeks. The only scare I had was it went up to 129ppm for a couple of months and I put it down to a new estate being built up the road.
I'm happy to stick with the Di route as it takes up only a 15 minute resin change every 6 weeks, and I'm not on a water meter so the money I save on water helps pay towards the resin.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back