Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tax return help needed please

chris clean

Hi guys just in process of filling in my tax return for the lovely HMRC! Can anyone advice if in the section where you tailor your return do you need tk tick yes to receiving the standard 82 quid a month child benefit everyone gets if they have a child per child. It talks about high end child benefit which I have no idea. But my first year earnings through window cleaning are low and we just get the 82 for our one child. Did people tick yes to this or is it for very high earners? Any help appreciated!!!! Thanks

Depends how it is phrased... If it says, "do you receive child benefit?" then the answer would me yes, if you do. If it says, "Do you earn over £40k AND receive child benefit?" Then unless you're having a very lucrative first year then the answer will be no.

There are no trick questions, just sometimes ones where you have to read the wording very precisely [emoji16]

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Leaving it a bit late lol

Just tick yes.. i always do..  makes no difference to your tax return that i can see

Not part of your earnings

Depends how it is phrased... If it says, "do you receive child benefit?" then the answer would me yes, if you do. If it says, "Do you earn over £40k AND receive child benefit?" Then unless you're having a very lucrative first year then the answer will be no.

There are no trick questions, just sometimes ones where you have to read the wording very precisely
emoji16.png

Thanks so much Beccy! You may also know the answer to another one about do you receive interest from a UK bank account. I do but my bank already deduct tax. On statement it appears interest after Tax! Would you still think I should tick yes?! Thanks again

Just tick yes.. i always do..  makes no difference to your tax return that i can see

Thanks mate! Yeah I know lol. Stupid thing is i did all my accounts for all my figures months ago and just thought in my mind I will quickly bang it on form nearer 31st Jan. Suddenly its very close and form not as easy as I thought! Well actually it is ok but it's my lack of understanding that's the issue!

Thanks so much Beccy! You may also know the answer to another one about do you receive interest from a UK bank account. I do but my bank already deduct tax. On statement it appears interest after Tax! Would you still think I should tick yes?! Thanks again
I think it's best to be honest and say yes, and it'll probably then ask you to say what tax was already paid. I did this once though and because the amount of interest I'd earned was so low, it was rounding it down to zero for me, then telling me I couldn't proceed without putting a figure higher than zero in! So I went back and changed the tick to No, which is east to do and then makes that section vanish when you click next next next however many times to get back to where you were!

Do you tick yes to receiving interest on your bank account Dave? On my bank statements which is a joint account my interest says after tax so unsure if i need to put it on tax return? Any advice appreciated cheers mate

I think it's best to be honest and say yes, and it'll probably then ask you to say what tax was already paid. I did this once though and because the amount of interest I'd earned was so low, it was rounding it down to zero for me, then telling me I couldn't proceed without putting a figure higher than zero in! So I went back and changed the tick to No, which is east to do and then makes that section vanish when you click next next next however many times to get back to where you were!

Ok thanks Becky really appreciate it

Do you tick yes to receiving interest on your bank account Dave? On my bank statements which is a joint account my interest says after tax so unsure if i need to put it on tax return? Any advice appreciated cheers mate
Can't remember without digging my password etc out and logging on to view my tax return

I think i said no

Can't remember without digging my password etc out and logging on to view my tax return

I think i said no
Thanks anyway mate appreciate it. All done and submitted and bill paid. Big sigh of relief and out on the glass tomorrow doing the side of the job I do love ?

Latest Posts

Back