Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Accused of breaking a gate!

chris clean

Hi guys sorry to post a long one but this guys really annoyed me  anyone else had similar? Old couple been cleaning Windows over a year. Wifes always really nice only seen hubby couple of times but seemed ok. Text as normal last night to ask for gate to be unlocked. Get there this morning do fronts go round gate is open clean backs and shut gate. No answer at door so left the invoice. Get a voicemail this afternoon its they fit demanding I come and fix the bolt that I've apparently broken forcing my way into his gate! I rang back he was very angry. Apparently the bolts on floor and hes gonna have me arrested sue me for the damage and all the rest. I was pleased I stayed so calm and explained I have copy of message I've sent his wife and the gate was open. I told him as he knows if hates not open I will only do fronts and not charge for backs. Which I've done before for them. After more accusations he said hes calling police for my criminal damage. I said it upsets me you are accusing me who reliably cleans your Windows and only charges half when hates locked when if your gates damaged ibwoyld be more worried about who really has done it. I said I would even go round and have a look if I could help him fix it but would not be accused of this. He went silent on phone but could hear him still there. I said ok Mr..... I will call the police myself and let them know about your accusation and politely ended the call. I called local police and explained so they have it all on record. Lady was really good and dad they wouldn't even take his accusations and would tell him it's a civil matter. Wonderingbif I will hear anymore! Doubt i will get my £10 though.  Anyone had similar?

No but this is why I tell people I won't climb over them, as @Denwill testify, I'm not built to climb gates. It is a civil matter and he will have to prove that you have damaged them. As you've got proof, in text's, that if they're not open then you only clean the fronts he hasn't a leg to stand on.

Unfortunate way to lose a customer, and I would text his Wife saying you can't do them anymore because of the way her husband spoke to you. Hopefully she'll give him hell 

No but this is why I tell people I won't climb over them, as @Denwill testify, I'm not built to climb gates. It is a civil matter and he will have to prove that you have damaged them. As you've got proof, in text's, that if they're not open then you only clean the fronts he hasn't a leg to stand on.

Unfortunate way to lose a customer, and I would text his Wife saying you can't do them anymore because of the way her husband spoke to you. Hopefully she'll give him hell 
Lol thanks mate yeah I'm not built for climbing gates either! That's what I was trying to explain to him that I text for that exact reason and he can clearly see that anytime the gates been locked I've only done the fronts and charged charged half price! Took me quite by shock how angry he was. Yeah shame to loose a customer but I don't want anything to do with someone like that

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 6'2" and 17.5 stone but feel small standing next to Part timer lol.

got to agree with Part timer and hope the wife buys him a set of ladders and squeegee.

I'm 6'2" and 17.5 stone but feel small standing next to Part timer lol.

got to agree with Part timer and hope the wife buys him a set of ladders and squeegee.
Ha ha. At first I was gonna message wife but then thought I have acted  really calm and profession on phone and don't wanna get involved any more. I will reluctantly write off the tenner he owes me as not gonna go round and get in a slanging match. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i’ve had similar mate. One couple asked us to start cleaning their windows (large house) out in the sticks. They got rid of the last window cleaner (apparently they reckon a stone got caught in his squeegee & scratched a pane) sounded like bull, should’ve run a mile at that point. Anyway it was the early days so took them on didn’t we. Cleaned em for a few years. He was always good as gold, and to be fair she was alright, until i found out she was jeckel & hyde. 6 months ago show up one morning, i was cleaning next doors & my brother was cleaning theirs. She came storming out shouting at him. WHY DIDNT you ask me to close the upstairs window?! Its open and youre cleaning it!!”
Gazza said for one thing, we sent you a reminder text the night before, that should be the call in your head to shut any windows & open gates. Youve clearly seen me outside while having your breakfast & decided not to close it, we dont knock people before 10:30am because we always have abuse hurled at us. So what do you want me to do, leave it and not clean it? Anyway she kept kicking off. I said exactly the same to her as he did when she text me to say shy she was so angry. I said “you’re getting this stroppy over an open window thats being cleaned?” Theres people out there with real problems for petes sake. It was completely unneccessary. Binned em instantly. Husband was really apologetic but i said sorry mate dont work for people who cant control their tempers. Take em with a pinch of salt i would. More hassle than they’re worth

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Yeah i’ve had similar mate. One couple asked us to start cleaning their windows (large house) out in the sticks. They got rid of the last window cleaner (apparently they reckon a stone got caught in his squeegee & scratched a pane) sounded like bull, should’ve run a mile at that point. Anyway it was the early days so took them on didn’t we. Cleaned em for a few years. He was always good as gold, and to be fair she was alright, until i found out she was jeckel & hyde. 6 months ago show up one morning, i was cleaning next doors & my brother was cleaning theirs. She came storming out shouting at him. WHY DIDNT you ask me to close the upstairs window?! Its open and youre cleaning it!!”
Gazza said for one thing, we sent you a reminder text the night before, that should be the call in your head to shut any windows & open gates. Youve clearly seen me outside while having your breakfast & decided not to close it, we dont knock people before 10:30am because we always have abuse hurled at us. So what do you want me to do, leave it and not clean it? Anyway she kept kicking off. I said exactly the same to her as he did when she text me to say shy she was so angry. I said “you’re getting this stroppy over an open window thats being cleaned?” Theres people out there with real problems for petes sake. It was completely unneccessary. Binned em instantly. Husband was really apologetic but i said sorry mate dont work for people who cant control their tempers. Take em with a pinch of salt i would. More hassle than they’re worth

Yeah first time in almost 2 years I've had anyone luke this so just put it down to experience I guess. Think it annoys me so much as I'm showing trust by cleaning Windows and trusting they will pay later but clearly he has no trust in me. If his gates broken just blame the window cleaner! 

The world doesn’t stop turning over a knackered gate mate. Sleep easy

I'd be saying - I did not damage your gate, can you please pay me the money you owe me, by text so there is a record .you requested payment

ri

I'd be round there fighting my corner, and I'd be insisting on my £10.

I'd be saying - I did not damage your gate, can you please pay me the money you owe me, by text so there is a record .you requested payment
I know what  your saying guys and it backs me off I'm not getting the tenner I've earntearnt honestly and in good faith. One thing I thought though if he does make any further contact is I have over him that he owes me 10 quid

In my mind mate if it was me, they could offer me £100 but id still rather be shot of em. Once people start mentioning court cases and criminal damage thats it the trust is gone. You cant buy back trust no matter what you throw at me.

Once the trust is gone, it's gone. **** happens, get paid and forget about it, if he tries to take it further contact your insurers, pass him they're details, they'll laugh at him and he wont get a penny.

What I dont get is why you're not getting yoir money?  

He could shove the gate up his *ss!  

I have for many years on here said I dont climb gates. I also dont charge half if locked.  Still full price. They got the text they left locked.  

Regards damage have your insurance deal with him...thats what they're paid for but get that damn money.  I have filed claims with small claims court for less than £10 before. 

I have for many years on here said I dont climb gates. I also dont charge half if locked.  Still full price. They got the text they left locked.  

Regards damage have your insurance deal with him...thats what they're paid for but get that damn money.  I have filed claims with small claims court for less than £10 before. 
Cheers for the advice green. Last night after the guy was so nuts on phone I was just of mind that screw it, it's only a tenner I'm not going round for a slanging match for that. But now I have decided i am absolutely gonna collect my money and pursue him for it if he doesn't pay. I think I will leave it a couple of days and just message the wife and say what would be a good time to collect your window cleaning money not even mention his accusations. 

Regards contacting gleaming my insurance I will if he makes any more contact about the gate. 

And green your point about charging half is maybe something I will do from now on. As I said on original post I have always been good enough to only charge half when gates locked which I did out of goodwill. Then I get repaid like this! 

In the first line of your post you mention these are 'old' people.  Unfortunately us oldies tend to go a bit funny at times (just ask my missus :1f61c: ).  This man's reaction sounds like the early onset of alzheimers to me - show a little consideration, that could be you in years to come :1f602:

Back