Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How To Get Clear Water at home to put into containers.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Peter Morgan

Hi All,

Brand new to this so any advice would be appreciated, I'm thinking of buying a backpack wfp to start with, I would be looking at carrying water containers (20ltr x 3 ) in the back of my vehicle to start with until I can build my round and maybe get something better.  

Question, how do I create clear water at home to put in my containers. ???

I live in quite a high hard water area if that helps. 

TIA. ??

60 litres of water wont get you anywhere mate, you can use that on one house if its a first clean no problem. We used over 75 litres on a first clean yesterday it was that bad and was only a medium sized house with more glass than normal. You wanna be looking at carrying a minimum 300 litres as a sole trader or you’ll be running out in no time. As for the purification im a soft water area so cant help you there sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Buy a TDS meter from Gardiners WFP (google them.

Test your tap water and find out what reading it is.

How you make your pure depends on water hardness where you live.

I'm lucky I am just single DI vessel at the moment.

Cheers, have not got a clue really, got a vehicle and around £500 to spend, thought getting a. Backpack system just to build up a round at around £100 - £150 thought it's a great way to start at that price.  Then came the clear water problem ??  

Hi Peter,
When I started I bought a 350gpd Ro unit from Ro Man I use to process the water into a 250 Litre water butt with a submersible pump into 4 25 litre containers. All the tops were done with pure water from a backpack on trolley and bottoms done traditional. Not Ideal but got me started until i could get a van and fit it out with a tank. You will need good water pressure to use the Ro. My pressure was around 60psi and on a 350 gpd system this produced water slow and even slower in winter. Up to 10 hours to make 200 Litres of water ! If your water pressure is low you will need a booster pump which will help a lot to speed things up. I now have a 4021 ro bought from Daqua which is producing 1 litre of water in around 50 seconds at 60psi . Loads of advice here also have a look on Daqua and Gardiners websites or even give them a call. Both great to deal with. Never be tempted to buy cheap off ebay as often you end up with poor quality.
There is a lot of money to be made from this game,you may find it hard to start with but will all be worth it !
Good luck

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Or - just while you set up, harvest rain water and run through some DI resin. Like others have said - once you have your tap water TDS it will be easier to advise you on what the options are. You could also consider just running DI if your not using much water to start with and you could possibly get away with using the customers tap so you don’t have to cart water around.

Cheers, AGlassAct + marc674

Think this clear water might be a problem for me as I live in a flat, pretty sure we have quite hard water and got no taps apart from in the sink.  I would buy the water to start but can't find anybody local, will have to have a think on. ?

Thanks for for the advice. 

Cheers marc674 , just had a look at that, looks like they are going to open 3 in around the Birmingham area but not opened them yet. It's a good idea though. ??

Just drill a hole through the wall & tee off cold water & put isolation valve in mate, done it myself, or if you cba hire a plumber mate would only cost you 50 quid plus parts or something

Probably better off going trad then by the sound of it mate. Until you either get a van system or have a garage or business unit to put your tanks & gear in + water supply issues you’re not winning really man

Yeah I know, will have a think on it, didn't really want to go down the dragging the ladders around + what I've herd most people are moving over to wfp systems. Nightmare !!

cheers. 

It could only be temporary though. If it’s a way to get started what the hell right? You may find you love it. You can even do trad off poles, check out trad mans videos. Just steer away from leaded & sash windows to start with

Probably better off going trad then by the sound of it mate. Until you either get a van system or have a garage or business unit to put your tanks & gear in + water supply issues you’re not winning really man

There are just some things that can't be done from a flat. Processing water in any great quantity is one of them. One of your neighbours will only report your activities to the flat management committee.

Its just not the done thing to recommend trad cleaning due to the increased safety risk, but @Incheckhas made the right call.

Unless you are able to find another source for water you aren't going to make a go of window cleaning using the pole system. The other issue is where you would securely store your ladder if you went the trad route.

If this is what you honestly want to do, then is there someone looking to employ a window cleaner? I would also suggest the possibility of asking family if they have a suitable place to process water, but this suggestion is frought with risk.

60 liters isn't going to get you very far. If I'm using a backpack (which I hate) an average 3 bedroom house will take me about 20 liters with maintenance cleans. doing 3 cleans a day isn't worth getting out of bed for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back