Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1000ltr tank

Ian cullen

Hi guys I’m new to the game,I’m looking at getting a van and full wfp setup,I’ve been looking on eBay at these 1000 ltr tanks,,can these be used for the setup,and does any of use no of company’s that can do the full setup for me using this tank cheers
4fbefc2cd04a86be93968595999e615a.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

No, although folk do use them they are unsuitable for use as van system. You have to remember that when full it will weigh 1000kg and strapping it into place is not strong enough to secure it. Also as the tank has no baffling it will be very unstable when driving. 

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay secondhand tanks and frames come up regularly if cost is an issue. I picked up a 650l purefreedom crashtested frame and tank for £200. 

Hi unless your planning to have a very large van this tank would kill your payload limit as not many medium size vans cover a tonne and you then have to add the rest of your equipment ladders ect. Also this type of tank would severely affect your driving and handling of van . You really need something that's baffled.
So this tank would only really not be well suited to your needs in my opinion.
If you let us know what vehicle you have or are thinking of getting I could probably suggest the best size tank as could many others on here.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi unless your planning to have a very large van this tank would kill your payload limit as not many medium size vans cover a tonne and you then have to add the rest of your equipment ladders ect. Also this type of tank would severely affect your driving and handling of van . You really need something that's baffled.
So this tank would only really not be well suited to your needs in my opinion.
If you let us know what vehicle you have or are thinking of getting I could probably suggest the best size tank as could many others on here.

Hi mate I’ve been looking at a Renault traffic or Vauxhall Vivaro van

For that size van you would probably want to be looking at 500/600 to allow for the extras this would give you some room if you wanted to add a helper or have a 2 man team aswwll . I use a 400l tank and does me more then enough most days... I would always recommended getting a frame to fix it in and im sure if you did a Google 600l baffled tank with frame you would find plenty available. Hope that helps mate. Having a baffled tank will really make a difference to your van on the road staying on the road and stopping when you want it to .

For that size van you would probably want to be looking at 500/600 to allow for the extras this would give you some room if you wanted to add a helper or have a 2 man team aswwll . I use a 400l tank and does me more then enough most days... I would always recommended getting a frame to fix it in and im sure if you did a Google 600l baffled tank with frame you would find plenty available. Hope that helps mate. Having a baffled tank will really make a difference to your van on the road staying on the road and stopping when you want it to .

Thanks for info mate just wasn’t 100% sure what size tank would last full day for 2 off us

Thanks for info mate just wasn’t 100% sure what size tank would last full day for 2 off us

No worries mate I use an aqua valve to save water as well it might not seem like much but just turning water off in between windows can save you a few you water and with 2 guys could be a few litres saved .
Don't know if your just starting out but you will probably notice a big difference once you get the hang of it and get the initial cleans out the way in water consumption as well .. I've not long in the game but happy to answer any questions if you can't find the answer on here or can't find it at least;)

No worries mate I use an aqua valve to save water as well it might not seem like much but just turning water off in between windows can save you a few you water and with 2 guys could be a few litres saved .
Don't know if your just starting out but you will probably notice a big difference once you get the hang of it and get the initial cleans out the way in water consumption as well .. I've not long in the game but happy to answer any questions if you can't find the answer on here or can't find it at least;)

I ment uni-valve get from here
https://ex-ceedinnovation.co.uk/shop/uni-valve/uni-valve/

I use a 1000 litre IBC in my vivaro with no issues what so ever, yes you get a little rocking as the water level drops down, nothing major,
i also set it all up myself to run two man,
You must ensure you buy a van to carry the payload, some viv’s/traffics are fine and aren’t over payload limit even with two men, kit and water full,
1b478addcbc56ca808d60b2eedb297fe.jpg

I use a 1000 litre IBC in my vivaro with no issues what so ever, yes you get a little rocking as the water level drops down, nothing major,
You must ensure you buy a van to carry the payload, some viv’s/traffics are fine and aren’t over payload limit even with two men, kit and water full,
1b478addcbc56ca808d60b2eedb297fe.jpg

That’s exactly what I’m looking for mate we’re did you pick the tank up from cheers

you must be out of your minds to fit an ibc tank to your van, £6 rachtet straps from argos strapped to vehicle loading points,your only saving grace is that,should the worst happen the ladders may take an impact and rip the roof of your van and slow down the tank coming forward to you.

i know i'm going to get some greif from saying this,but my life is worth much much more than a £40 ibc,but,thats down to you and your passengers-don't forget that if you employ you have a duty of care for there safety and can be sued because of the lack of it or god forbid if you drove your children to school before work.

a few months ago a young lads life was lost through a much much smaller tank that was strapped in-the impact made the tank come forward and killed him,do it properly and you know you are going to be safe.less than two weeks turnover would buy an 800 litre tank that is way way more superior and a million times more stable in a smash than the above picture.

you must be out of your minds to fit an ibc tank to your van, £6 rachtet straps from argos strapped to vehicle loading points,your only saving grace is that,should the worst happen the ladders may take an impact and rip the roof of your van and slow down the tank coming forward to you.
i know i'm going to get some greif from saying this,but my life is worth much much more than a £40 ibc,but,thats down to you and your passengers-don't forget that if you employ you have a duty of care for there safety and can be sued because of the lack of it or god forbid if you drove your children to school before work.
a few months ago a young lads life was lost through a much much smaller tank that was strapped in-the impact made the tank come forward and killed him,do it properly and you know you are going to be safe.less than two weeks turnover would buy an 800 litre tank that is way way more superior and a million times more stable in a smash than the above picture.
£6 ratchet straps from argos? These are truck ones rated for 2 ton each and the van tie down points are rated the same, [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

These IBC’s are transported like this on the backs of lorries strapped down,
I know people who have down it this way for years,

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

@kevinc250you can only lead the horse to water. A 2900 Vivaro can legally carry circa 1280kgs. The water and tank is 1050, 2 men around 150, 2 hose reels and equipment another 100. It's now overloaded and you haven't allowed for fuel. 

Let's hope they don't have to do an emergency stop and find out that the water in an unbaffled tank will seriously extend the stopping distance. Let's also hope they don't actually have a head on collision because the likelihood is you won't be able to say I told you so. 

I would also be amazed if a insurance company would pay out if they knew that a 1000 ibc tank was in van.

A mate of a mate was hit by someone who couldn't stop doing 15mph with 1000ltr ibc full of water, the insurance company kicked off and said their is no way it should have been in the van.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kevinc250you can only lead the horse to water. A 2900 Vivaro can legally carry circa 1280kgs. The water and tank is 1050, 2 men around 150, 2 hose reels and equipment another 100. It's now overloaded and you haven't allowed for fuel. 

Let's hope they don't have to do an emergency stop and find out that the water in an unbaffled tank will seriously extend the stopping distance. Let's also hope they don't actually have a head on collision because the likelihood is you won't be able to say I told you so. 
i know mate,i joined the forums about twelve years ago,only a small few had the money to buy an off the shelf stystem so it was all diy back then,all we had were fibreglass poles as the carbon poles wasn't even on the market then,controllers were the new thing to have,(the newer guys have it so easy in comparision)even back then the mention of using an ibc tank in a van was an absolute no no and viewed as way too dangerous to even think about.back then we shared information on how to bolt down a tank to make it safer so it was possible to do it yourself as the information was a bit scarce back then but we helped each other-something which is lacking nowadays.

i'm glad i commented on this post as it is a public forum for every person that posts theres pretty much around ten people looking either now or in the future thinking aaaahhh an ibc tank-that'll do its cheap as chips,DON'T DO THE IBC TANK WAY-ITS DANGEROUS

it will either more than likely invalidate your insurance or kill you if you are unfortunate enough to have an head on collision its as simple as that.

but hey just dismiss me,-i know jack,but again i'm the guy along with many others paying more for there inflated insurance premium every year because of the reputation this industry has with diy and the total unwarrented need to scrimp and save on the bare safe basics

Last edited by a moderator:
£6 ratchet straps from argos? These are truck ones rated for 2 ton each and the van tie down points are rated the same,
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

You need to read and study this.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/80732/weight-of-moving-object-in-a-car-collision

From time to time I see safety warning about keeping loose items in your car. The last warning used a 2kg object, and claimed that if a collision occurred at 50kmh it would have a weight equal to 80kg. At 90kmh it would have a weight of 256kg.

Now see how good those 2 ton ratchet straps will be in an accident.

Hope you dont have an accident as I very much doubt they would pay out , I very much doubt that you are running legal with payload either as fuel , 2 x people , hoses poles: ladder and  all other kit will be over the payload for sure ,try putting it on a way bridge I think you will be supprised : we have a renault master with 1640 kg payload with 1000 system and all the bits and bobs and we are only just under of weight first thing in the morning , several people recently have been killed by putting water tanks in vans with Rachet straps then had an accident and the tank has crushed them , just beacause you have done it for years doesn’t mean that you will get away with it the accident might not be your fault : is it really worth the risk when you could have a proper baffled system professionaly fitted with a cap fitted to release water in an accident , I have been In The fire service for 30 years and seen far to many people killed with things like this , do yourself and your family a favour and get a proper system safely fitted the tie down points in a van are not rated to two tonnes in an accident they are there purely to prevent things sliding around , I don’t mean to criticise you but as I said I have witnessed to many people killed through ignorance or stupidity thinking that tie down points and rachet straps are suitable for this type of application 

You need to read and study this.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/80732/weight-of-moving-object-in-a-car-collision

From time to time I see safety warning about keeping loose items in your car. The last warning used a 2kg object, and claimed that if a collision occurred at 50kmh it would have a weight equal to 80kg. At 90kmh it would have a weight of 256kg.

Now see how good those 2 ton ratchet straps will be in an accident.

Well said spruce peopke have no idear the risks that they are taking , personally I would like to see the mot test look at fittings on all commercial vechles and unless an engineers report states that it’s fitted properly it should be a fail 

Back