Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Goodbye Aviva Van Insurance

Tuffers

Last year I paid £406, just had my renewal (no claims etc this year) and it's jumped up to £681 ?. A jump in £275!! They are taking the pish.

I am insured with highway insurance with a 650 litre tank bolted to floor and lpg fitted as well. Now changing to grippa tank crash tested 850 litre system with diesel heater and that told me they won’t insure me!! It’s doesn’t make sense to me. Can anyone recommend a good insurer to contact?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Been announced on the news recently that insurance premiums are at a record high for this year so while some might be cheaper than others in the end we all going to see an increase eventually :(

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just gone on the comparison sites and Admiral are coming out at around £350. I tried an online quote on the Aviva site and it said they couldn't offer me insurance based on the info I inputted. Strange.

Ours jumped up over £100 last year due to that insurance premium tax, i dont think my age helps. I’m 28 & it’s over £900 on the transit, up from £800 ish last year. On the positive, It’s an expense so lowers the tax bill considerably i guess. If one mans not taking it off you the other is right?

And does everyones insurance just cover the van or does it cover the waterfed pole system as well for those who have one?

mine covers van and contence pluss 500l straped tank with gas heater and 13kilo gas bottol  £708 p year£53 pm  vivaro 2.0cdti 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the thing with insurance, everyone's circumstances are different, vehicle, age, location, NCD, garaged, the list goes on. I went on a price comparison website and ended up with Admiral who insured my Grippatank installation for around £530 and as said it's all tax deductible.
Interesting footnote, my wife managed to reverse the family car into a new Jeep this week. My Touran came off better with just a broken back light, The Jeep has a large dint in the rear quarter panel. Admiral who my wife's car is insured with have said with her being at fault there would be no excess for the Jeep damage, but it will be £350 excess to repair ours. So a quick look on fleabay and one arrived yesterday for the princely sum of 30 quid. The joys of motoring eh?

This has been a topic on the forum a few times .A couple of facts for the newbe .Don't use the usual sites for a quote.Because 90 % of the quotes won't include. the. tank because 90 % of companies wont insure you with a tank .Most of the other 10% have a 650 Lit limit on there cover.Hope this helps .

I think the important thing to remember is that you need to be sure you have told your insurance company exactly what you have in the van and how it's secured.  If not then in an accident they could say the insurance isn't valid.

I don't know if it's still the same, but years ago the stupid situation was that if the tank etc were secured with straps it was classed as 'cargo' being capable of being removed the same as if it were a pallet of bricks and therefore didn't affect the insurance, while if it was permanently bolted to the van it became a 'modification' and as such subject to much more rigorous restrictions.

Back