Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

After DI Resin change - not pure 4ppm??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bart90

Hi guys.

Bit of advice needed.  Have just done my first resin change.  I have a two DI setup. Started to get a 10ppm reading so thought it was time i changed resin.  I moved my 2nd DI to the 1st from tap and changed the resin in the other one.  These are the readings I'm getting after swapping and replacing thde resin in one.  Tap - 202ppm, After 1st DI (resin not changed) 2 ppm, afer 2nd DI (new Resin) 4ppm.  Can anyone explain this?  What have i done wrong?

Thanks

Hi guys.

Bit of advice needed.  Have just done my first resin change.  I have a two DI setup. Started to get a 10ppm reading so thought it was time i changed resin.  I moved my 2nd DI to the 1st from tap and changed the resin in the other one.  These are the readings I'm getting after swapping and replacing thde resin in one.  Tap - 202ppm, After 1st DI (resin not changed) 2 ppm, afer 2nd DI (new Resin) 4ppm.  Can anyone explain this?  What have i done wrong?

Thanks
Have you connected the new one the right way round. Flow in and flow out?

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Have you connected the new one the right way round. Flow in and flow out?

I never checked when i reconnected it!  So could be that.  I will double check and come back if it's not that.  Just curious though; as the reading from the 1st DI is 2ppm, is there any need for the second?

I never checked when i reconnected it!  So could be that.  I will double check and come back if it's not that.  Just curious though; as the reading from the 1st DI is 2ppm, is there any need for the second?
Yes. Follow the arrow directions on the top.

Twin DI will help it last longer whilst the old resin still has a bit of life in it rather than just chucking it away.

Little off topic here but you went with a double DI setup with a TDS of 202ppm..? I was told anything over 100ppm and you really should be using an RO system. Are you normally finding the double DI setup works fine? Just curious as I'm trying to decide what I'm gonna need.

Little off topic here but you went with a double DI setup with a TDS of 202ppm..? I was told anything over 100ppm and you really should be using an RO system. Are you normally finding the double DI setup works fine? Just curious as I'm trying to decide what I'm gonna need.
It will be cheaper initially, in set up costs, to double DI but much more expensive in the long run. 

I'm using for upstairs only so not requiring loads of water. Plus we live in flat so needed something that wouldn't take up much space but would get me started wfp and less time up ladders.  The resin in the two DI's (22 litre DI's so 14 litres of resin has lasted 3 months so far).  Although probably not the cheapest way of going about it, it has got me started and used to wfp and after lots of practice is starting to shave off job time which easily pays for the resin and leaves more money inn my pocket.  Long term, I will have to look at other options once i have a garage and a bit more room!  I would recommend it though to get started.

It's down to each and everyone personal preference.

I would advise an RO if you're over 100tds.

However just work out annual costs. Resin costs vs filter change costs average per year. If on a water metre and your annual waste cost. Usually 3 or 4 times your water usage.

Even if resin method does cost more it's still worth considering as it provides an easier and quicker method of filling. Small price to pay if this is important to you.

I am lucky having 60tds. I can fill tank at end of day in 20 mins and forget about it.

I also would not bother trad downstairs to save water. Too much faffing. Just wfp all the way. If you use a tap or aquadapter you will soon learn how to save water. As you get more experienced the faster you become reducing water usage.

Back