Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best add on alongside wfp

Carts69

Just looking for some views on the best add on for a wfp round, opinions please on gutter vac or pressure washing, I understand that the gutter vac maybe better for the winter months & pressure washing for spring/ summer, but.. what am I likely to get extra work with the most

both quite big investments, so would like some views please?

I'd add more WFP customers alongside those you already have.  :1f609:

I've done various odd jobs, some regular cleaning work, facade cleaning etc. It was a great day when I could say "I'm a window cleaner, and that's what I'm going to do", and drop all the odd jobs.

That said, I understand gutter vac is something one could expect from a window cleaner. We don't have any trees here so there's really no market for me.

Yes I understand what your saying, but in my case I’m just starting out wfp, I was just seeking a sideline while things are building up, keep the money coming in!

Between the ones you mention it’s doing Gutters in my opinion , nice money can be earned and it’s an easy up sell to customers. 

Thanks Cristian, I know Gutter emptying is more closely related to window cleaning than power washing, might be the best option, unless anyone else has a different view?

No worries, The last gutter clear I did was for £100 and it took 2 hrs to do. Where else being realistic can you make that kind of cash for the time spent! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I understand what your saying, but in my case I’m just starting out wfp, I was just seeking a sideline while things are building up, keep the money coming in!
A good side-line would be....canvasing for new customers!

Seriously its the best easiest earner and repeat work, if your just starting out that's where you should focus.

Gutter cleaning is pretty good money if you invest in the right equipment.Get a camera for inspection no ladders required.Get a vac with really good suction.You need 52mm pipe so suction with this size of pipe is crucial.You need a side entry hose machine.Sky vacs are good but expensive.You can get twin motor vacs from germany which are pretty good.You can get aluminum piping on ebay.Waterproof Go pro hero camera fixed to suction pipe and you have a cheap inspection camera.Powerwashing can be a good add on as well when window cleaning slack.

Thanks, I was looking to purchase the wetcat3600 from this company, https://www.guttervacuumsystems.co.uk/product/wetcat-3600-watt-carbon-fibre-gutter-cleaning/?attribute_pa_pole-height=40ft-gutter-vacuum-pole-set

i have emailed this company several times regarding the weight of each pole & if they are 100% carbon fibre or carbon composite, but they simply never reply back to me..cleary not interested in making a sale!

i was looking to purchase this machine as it’s pretty powerful & was going to adapt it to a bigger intake at the front or..ad one of GrippaTanks side entry port, I’ve already got a camera for the pole, I was also going to invest in the 2” smooth bore hose, any thoughts?

Sounds like great kit but its pretty expensive.You got to work out how many cleans you think you will get and see if its worth investing that amount.

I definitely recommend gutter clearing as one of the side services to add on to windows.  I've always done both even in my trad days, but now we have decent equipment for both I can do it safely and easier than ever.

You don't even need a GoPro, I bought some crappy Action Cam for £35, mounted the bicycle mount clamp to the top of my goose neck, press record and send it up in the air.  It has a 2.5" display so I can immediately play the video back and see if there's blockages or plenty of debris in the gutters, and then price the job accordingly.  Or if its a more serious problem I plug it in to my MacBook and watch it on a bigger display.

I bought a SkyVac Atom for about £700 including 7 sections (so roughly 4 stories high) and it's brilliant (Think it's even cheaper now so I'll attach a link).  Some times it gets blocked when it's particularly damp and small leaves group and stick together but a quick suck out of a bucket of water and it's cleared in a heart beat.

I charge £50 an hour for it, but a minimum of £40 to do a job (I don't carry it in my van every day so that's the price I charge to take it to work with me) and I do about 50 jobs a year with it without even trying.  It's earned me 20x more than I paid for it in 14 months and Spinaclean are brilliant if you have any issues.

I used to offer gutter repairs, even refits, windows, gutter clearing, UPVC cleaning, con roof cleaning etc but now all I do is windows, UPVC, con roofs and gutter clearances, and I'm busier than I've ever been.

Solid investment, and no need for majorly expensive components or chemicals (like pressure washing).

https://spinaclean.com/skyvac-atom.asp

Check out my sales thread on the for sale forum. Everything you need to include a Stephill Honda powered Generator for £700 as I’m no longer in the business so everything must go! 

Thanks, so many options out there re gutter vacs, surely one needs to spend around the grand mark for carbon fibre tubes & a half decent powered machine, I see Karcher sale a powerful vac too, I’ve sourced 40’ of tapered carbon fibre poles from a local manufacturer, 450 grams for each 2 meter length, is that classed as light weight?

I bought a smaller machine with alloy poles and it was ok but it wasn't good enough to make me want to do it very often. Alloy poles are very hard work, and the machine although it did work was slow going and when you keep getting blockages in the tubes etc it becomes a pain in the ****.

I now only clean windows but if I ever decided to get into gutters again I would want the most powerful machine available along with the lightest poles and charge top whack for my troubles.

With gutters if you have ladders you could use a Harris pole and progutter tools, cost you£25 to get going. Also Conny roofs are a good earner.

some great advice..cheers! Ok I can source full carbon poles, does 450 g sound lightweight for a 2 meter length, interested to know?

gutter cleaning would be my first investment then if u wanted get a pressure washer for summer u could also add soft washing to the list of things you can offer but one thing i will say is glass is the easest and its reguler u will get to the point were u strugle to fit it all in

Thanks Tench, as you can tell I’m new to all this, I’d just like to add a side line! I like the idea of being able to offer more than one service, let’s hope I do become busy enough to not be able to fit much else in!

The obvious add on is Upvc cleaning fascias, soffits, gutters...conservatory roofs and conservatories..makes the days more interesting...I've also now started doing first cleans on a Saturday...surprising how many others you pick up when people are in.

The obvious add on is Upvc cleaning fascias, soffits, gutters...conservatory roofs and conservatories..makes the days more interesting...I've also now started doing first cleans on a Saturday...surprising how many others you pick up when people are in.
Thanks J & S, yes was intending to add those services, also Solar Panels, I’d be up for Saturday work too, just hoping I can build a good enough business out of this, I intend to put every effort into making this venture a success.

Maybe a stupid question but.. is it ok to canvass where I know window cleaners are active already, is this treading on toes or is it a dog eat dog industry, saying that..I suppose every area is taken so to speak?

Back