Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My latest 3D printed invention (?) for my hose reel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nudel

So I was tired of my hose tangling up on the sides of my wheel constantly, thus I 3D printed a first prototype to a potential solution.

IMG_20180131_140830.jpg

IMG_20180131_140825.jpg

IMG_20180131_140834.jpg

My reel is pretty banged up as it fell out of the van a few times before I got to bolt it down.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a readily available solution, or simply a better reel design that avoid this?

thats a good idea mate!!! :2_thumbs_up_-_animated:
Thanks, the design is of course open source and will available for free when deemed usable. If you want to print this exact prototype, just say the word and I'll send over an stl.

If anyone else have this problem and want to try this early prototype, I can ship a set to you for the cost of shipping, if that's fair? The design is parametric so can be made to fit several types of reels.

Thanks, the design is of course open source and will available for free when deemed usable. If you want to print this exact prototype, just say the word and I'll send over an stl.

If anyone else have this problem and want to try this early prototype, I can ship a set to you for the cost of shipping, if that's fair? The design is parametric so can be made to fit several types of reels.

Patent it before anyone knicks your idea!

I have a clover reel and my hose sometimes comes off if I'm pulling it at an angle. My hose comes out from the bottom of the reel.

Patent it before anyone knicks your idea!

I have a clover reel and my hose sometimes comes off if I'm pulling it at an angle. My hose comes out from the bottom of the reel.
Thanks, but I abhor patents. They do nothing but hinder innovation. The open source license I prefer makes the design free for all to use and sell, but if any changes are made the source files must be made available with the same open license, so any improvements will benefit us all. I won't ramble more on this, but if it weren't for some big company patenting a 3D printer part, we would all had 3D printers decades ago. Read up on the RepRap project, it's quite interesting actually.

Do you have picture of your reel @Tuffers? Might adapt this to fit, if you're interested.

might take you up on that matey.
I'll post them here soon then.

So I was tired of my hose tangling up on the sides of my wheel constantly, thus I 3D printed a first prototype to a potential solution.

View attachment 12556

View attachment 12557

View attachment 12555

My reel is pretty banged up as it fell out of the van a few times before I got to bolt it down.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a readily available solution, or simply a better reel design that avoid this?

Exellent exelent idear I have the same issues with my freestanding reels simple but effective !! ?????

Ah, that's a different kind of beast. I think my design could make matters worse, as it would trap the hose between the clovers.

Can't really see how to fix that, unless you put a ring of something over the clovers so there are one continuous part. 

Exellent exelent idear I have the same issues with my freestanding reels simple but effective !! ?????
Thanks, I'm running some test now, and already see a few improvements needed, you are welcome to beta test them if you are interested.

@CustomMadeUK

I've attached the files of the first prototype. They need to be printed with a high infill (70-80%) to have enough plastic for the bolts to bite into. They need some m4x20 bolts to fasten, and the smaller part needs to be drilled out to 4mm.

I broke a few when installing, as the threading didn't work for one of them for some reason, so I am redesigning with a nut trap insert.

The files are licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0

Have fun :)

View attachment hose_wheel_no_knob_15.stl

View attachment hose_wheel_no_knob_25.stl

I have several claber  reels that suffer from this problem , if you perfect your design ime quite happy to buy some from you 

Same here
emoji16.png

I'd be happy to help :)  just need to run this by @Gav to check if it's okay with the guidelines of the forum?

As stated the files will be open source, so anyone could use 3D hubs or a similar service to print them, and source the hardware themselves (a few bolts, nuts and washers).

It would also be possible to buy 3D printed parts - with or without hardware - directly from me, if you wish to support future developments.

So I've been using the reel for a little while now, and have not had a single knot or issue!

Although I do believe the reason for the success is the printed wings (is that a good name?) touch the reel ever so slightly, adding a little bit of drag. This makes sure the reel stops spinning when I pull the hose out, so it doesn't unwind from the inside out and have less tendency to knot.

I tried reeling the wheel backwards, provoking the issue, and it was no problem reeling the hose out afterwards.

I still need to test some more with a lot of smaller customers through the day, and in slightly warmer weather as well.

Not all heroes wear capes!

What a fantastic creation/idea.

I'd be interested in buying all the parts so I'd literally just have to fit it. nothing worse than it getting stuck and pulling the whole reel over on its side!  :1f602:

Hi Nudel, do you still have the 3d plans available for this?  This is exactly what I am looking for on my claber reel.

Thanks buddy
Sure, the files are attached in a post above which I have quoted here.

Ah, that's a different kind of beast. I think my design could make matters worse, as it would trap the hose between the clovers.

Can't really see how to fix that, unless you put a ring of something over the clovers so there are one continuous part. 

Thanks, I'm running some test now, and already see a few improvements needed, you are welcome to beta test them if you are interested.

@CustomMadeUK

I've attached the files of the first prototype. They need to be printed with a high infill (70-80%) to have enough plastic for the bolts to bite into. They need some m4x20 bolts to fasten, and the smaller part needs to be drilled out to 4mm.

I broke a few when installing, as the threading didn't work for one of them for some reason, so I am redesigning with a nut trap insert.

The files are licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0

Have fun ?

View attachment 12596

View attachment 12597
I realised i never for back to any of you that would like to me to print one for you, and I'm so sorry about that. Feel free to PM me again if you are still interested.

I did find out they don't last as long as I would want them to though, so they would benefit from a redesign but I have not had the time to do much tinkering.

Back