Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First time patio cleaning

Moor

I have been asked by one of my regulars if I would do her block paving patio, it’s quite large and goes around the sides of the house and partly around the front. I have not yet agreed to this but did recently purchase 20litres of 14-15% hypo to do my own patio and drive, I was planning to get a WORX Hydroshot to lay the chemical down (I also will find it very useful so this is not it’s only use) so I would use this and replace to do mine later.

I understand the principles of the cleaning but will hypo give enough to give a decent biocidal protection or do I need to lay down another chemical after the hypo clean? I don’t want her complaining of a green patio a few months later. 

I’m also fairly clueless as to what to charge, what do you guys charge per m2? 

i used hypo on my front path and its been over 12 months and its not green yet but if u want extra protection longer lasting clean use biocide 

I have been asked by one of my regulars if I would do her block paving patio, it’s quite large and goes around the sides of the house and partly around the front. I have not yet agreed to this but did recently purchase 20litres of 14-15% hypo to do my own patio and drive, I was planning to get a WORX Hydroshot to lay the chemical down (I also will find it very useful so this is not it’s only use) so I would use this and replace to do mine later.
I understand the principles of the cleaning but will hypo give enough to give a decent biocidal protection or do I need to lay down another chemical after the hypo clean? I don’t want her complaining of a green patio a few months later. 
I’m also fairly clueless as to what to charge, what do you guys charge per m2? 
First of all, the Works sprayer isn’t really made for chemicals like hypo, so the seals and pump might not last too long. Better getting one that’s made for the job and has viton seals. I use the IPS Pro and it’s a great bit of kit. Driveways and patios etc I usually always do a hypo wash between 3-5% depending on how bad and after very thorough rinse put a biocide down. It will go green again at some point. The SoftWash merely prolongs intervals between cleaning. It’s all down to where she lives, where the prevailing weather comes from and how wet it gets etc. Once the initial clean is done it may need a biocide applied maybe once or twice a year. Pricing is down to you. Day rate, hourly rate, per m2 ???? Every jobs different so personally I keep my options open and decide how I’m going to price a job once I’ve looked at it. Hope some of this helps. Everyone’s different so get some other opinions. [emoji1303]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

First of all, the Works sprayer isn’t really made for chemicals like hypo, so the seals and pump might not last too long. Better getting one that’s made for the job and has viton seals. I use the IPS Pro and it’s a great bit of kit. Driveways and patios etc I usually always do a hypo wash between 3-5% depending on how bad and after very thorough rinse put a biocide down. It will go green again at some point. The SoftWash merely prolongs intervals between cleaning. It’s all down to where she lives, where the prevailing weather comes from and how wet it gets etc. Once the initial clean is done it may need a biocide applied maybe once or twice a year. Pricing is down to you. Day rate, hourly rate, per m2 ???? Every jobs different so personally I keep my options open and decide how I’m going to price a job once I’ve looked at it. Hope some of this helps. Everyone’s different so get some other opinions.
emoji1303.png

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I did look at the IPS Pro, it’s sold out everywhere though so the next best thing I could find is the Worx,  my plan is to flush it through thoroughly afterwards to prolong its life, it’s relatively cheap too. 

my problem with pricing is that I don’t want to overcharge and scare them off but I also don’t want to undercharge either.

Im leaning away from biocides as they have a dog, don’t to kill a dog on my first patio job! 

I got a samurai sprayer lithium 18v batteries and chemical viton pump for sofwashing and applying chems .
Have brand new one spare

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sounds interesting, have you got a link?

I wouldnt panic too much mate, just strim out the weeds, jet wash & re-sand. your job is to clean the thing, not worry about when they turn green again. Same with windows, fsgs, connys, youre paid to clean them, if they want them to be cleaned again, they have you on repeat. Ive never used hypo. Never applied biocides afterwards either because of pets etc like you say. If they want to keep it clean after youve been its up to them really mate theres only so much you can put on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

You are right, it’s a clean not a prevention service. I will spray with hypo mainly to break the stuff between the cracks down and make my life easier, I don’t want to use high pressure and blow out all the sand. 

Just use a decent pressure washer and that will smash through the filth, you won't blow out that much sand. Just sweep in some fresh sand once your done..

only reason I recommend the 15l is due to customers water pressure is not always great..

Ideally buy it from somewhere close to you because for example if you buying fromJetmac you pay the shipping back to ireland...

Can't seen you not making your 1500 back pretty quick..

The one your looking is cheap dunno much about Loncin, probably not industrial grade at that price. 

Just dont buy electric. 

Mate you can get a clarke tiger 6.5hp in machine maart for like £600, its a great piece of kit. Thats what we use always gets the job done

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Loncin machines are great, Ive got one of the larger ones and its ran without a fault for 4 years hard working......cursed it now mind with saying that, watch it blow on my next job! Jetmac have good prices and are quick with delivery but suffer with poor customer service following the sale if you get any issues.  But to echo what others have said here, block paving I would certainly use pressure, and as for sand loss, you need that to a certain extent to take out the weeks/roots/all the other muck. it wont harm the layer of sand below it as thats sharp sand and hardcore (or should be) and cant come up through the minimal gaps between the blocks. replace it with kiln dried sand afterwards and if they are bothered about regrowth of algae or moss etc then offer a biocide after treatment and tell them it'll need reapplying in 9 months, this is a very easy and profitable upsell which is particularly useful if they are looking for a lasting effect without the expense of sealing 

Back