Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

con95a

Rainwater Harvesting - will this work?

Rachel

I 'm glad I found this topic. I got caught in an almighty downpour on the way home tonight and stuck a bowl outside when I got home. Measured it and got 12ppm. That for me is unreal. My cold water kitchen tap is anything from 250ppm  (today) to 280 ish.

I'm on a meter too. If anyone is in the southeast (London /Surrey /Kent etc.) and is using rain water, could they give me an idea of how they are harvesting it and roughly how much they get. It would really be appreciated :-)  I'm guessing I would still have to supplement it to a degree but any water I can get almost free is def. a bonus !

Michael Anderson

I have 205 ltr  barrels connected to my down pipes from spouting.A couple of neighbours allow me to do it as well.I just use a 12v battery and connect a suction pump to it and pump the water up to a 1000ltr cube in my back garden.Its about 34 ppm but my tap water is 340.You would be surprised how much you can collect.I do clean their windows for free as a sweetner.

Posh

I got 2 sheds

put a bit of guttering on each 

don’t have to be brilliant long as it runs down 

l got the downpipe & wrapped a pair of tights round it to act as a filter

i then put the downpipe into a funnel which fits in the little side hole of the lid of the water butt perfectly 

believe me your be surprised how much you collect.

i run the water into my backpack which then pumps it through 2 4.5 litre di’s into my holding tank.

as the chap said above if you got no backpack you can just use a battery & pump. Connect a bit of hose onto the pump long enough to fit into the bottom of the water butt & a bit of hose long enough to reach your tank or Jerry can & connect it to the battery 

Michael Anderson

If no rain and run out of rainwater I pump the mains through an ro system until I have enough rainwater again

Rachel

Thanks Guys, Looking into this now quite seriously. Every saving helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.